1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

##\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx##

1. Dec 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am doing a little review and having a some trouble deriving the integral ##\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Initially I was trying to solve this integral using the substitution ##\cos \theta = x##. I drew my triangle so that the side adjacent to ##\theta## was ##x##, the hypotenuse was ##1##, and from this found that the opposite side was ##\sqrt{1-x^2}##; after this I computed my differentials, performed various substitutions, and concluded that ##\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx = - \arccos x + c##. However, this wrong. So, I tried the substitution ##\sin \theta = x## and I derived the correct formula. Why didn't my first substitution work?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2016 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Dec 27, 2016 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your first expression ##-\arccos(x) + C## is correct; differentiate it to check. That is something that you should always do.

Think about why there are two different-looking answers!

5. Dec 27, 2016 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

If you can't figure out what Ray's getting at, try this: set C=0 for simplicity and plot the two results.

6. Dec 27, 2016 #5

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Call the integral ##\theta\equiv \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx##.
    Then we have
    ##\theta=-\arccos(x) + C_1## and ##\theta=\arcsin(x) + C_2##,

Something that is sometimes forgotten is that the constants of integration (##C_1## and ##C_2## ) are not generally equal.
    That is, if we choose a value for ##C_1##, what is the corresponding choice for ##C_2##?
    Let ##C_2=C_1+Q##, where ##Q## is an unknown.

In this case, it might help interpreting the results as follows:
    ##\cos(C_1-\theta)=x ## and ##\sin(\theta-C_2)=x##.
    What is ##Q##?

7. Dec 27, 2016 #6

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted