Integral Evaluation: Solving \int^3_0 \sqrt{t^4+t^2} dt

• Thread starter roam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the best method for solving the integral \int^3_0 \sqrt{t^4+t^2} \ dt, with one person suggesting to use integration by parts and another suggesting an ordinary substitution. The confusion arises from two different antiderivatives being produced when using the online integrator Wolfram. However, it is clarified that the final integral should be unique after simplification and the second method is determined to be correct as it is in its most simplified form.
roam

Homework Statement

This is part of a larger problem about finding the distance traveled by the particle over the interval 0≤t≤3. I need to solve the integral

[itex]\int^3_0 \sqrt{t^4+t^2} \ dt[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So, is it correct to rewrite [itex]\sqrt{t^4+t^2}[/itex] as [itex]t \sqrt{t^2+1}[/itex] and then use integration by parts?

I'm confused because when I use Wolfarm online integrator to evaluate

[itex]\int \ \sqrt{t^4+t^2} = \frac{(t^2+1) \sqrt{t^4+x^2}}{3t}[/itex]

But when I use the other expression I get:

[itex]\int \ t \sqrt{t^2+1} = \frac{1}{3} (t^2+1)^{3/2}[/itex]

So which one is correct? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Both seem to be valid. You had the right idea to calculate the integral by hand. Factor out the t^2, then remove it from the radical leaving [itex]t\sqrt{t^{2}+1}[/itex] and use integration by parts.

roam said:

Homework Statement

This is part of a larger problem about finding the distance traveled by the particle over the interval 0≤t≤3. I need to solve the integral

[itex]\int^3_0 \sqrt{t^4+t^2} \ dt[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So, is it correct to rewrite [itex]\sqrt{t^4+t^2}[/itex] as [itex]t \sqrt{t^2+1}[/itex] and then use integration by parts?
Yes, it can be rewritten this way. I would use an ordinary substitution, though, not integration by parts.
roam said:
I'm confused because when I use Wolfarm online integrator to evaluate

[itex]\int \ \sqrt{t^4+t^2} = \frac{(t^2+1) \sqrt{t^4+x^2}}{3t}[/itex]
There's a typo above - you shouldn't have x in the antiderivative.
roam said:
But when I use the other expression I get:

[itex]\int \ t \sqrt{t^2+1} = \frac{1}{3} (t^2+1)^{3/2}[/itex]

So which one is correct? :confused:

Mark44 said:
Yes, it can be rewritten this way. I would use an ordinary substitution, though, not integration by parts.
There's a typo above - you shouldn't have x in the antiderivative.

That's a typo, I meant to say: [itex]\frac{(t^2+1)\sqrt{t^4+t^2}}{3t}[/itex]

So, my question was: shouldn't the final intrgral be unique regardless of how I simplify the integrand? Because I got two clearly different answers. Which method was correct?

The final integral will depend on your integration technique, but should be unique after simplification.

The second one is correct as it's in its most simplified form. Wolfram's format is computer-generated, so although different, it's equivalent.

If you use two techniques to evaluate an indefinite integral (no limits of integration), you won't necessarily get the same things, but they can differ by at most a constant.

If you use two techniques to evaluate a definite integral, they have to produce the same result (unless you make a mistake).

1. What is the purpose of integral evaluation?

Integral evaluation is a mathematical process used to find the area under a curve or the value of a quantity that is continuously changing. It is often used in physics, engineering, and other sciences to solve problems involving rates of change.

2. How do you solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you need to find the antiderivative of the function being integrated. This can be done using various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. Once the antiderivative is found, the integral can be evaluated by plugging in the limits of integration and calculating the resulting value.

3. What is the significance of the limits of integration?

The limits of integration determine the range over which the integral is being evaluated. In the given integral, the lower limit is 0 and the upper limit is 3, which means the integral is being evaluated from t=0 to t=3. This is important because it defines the specific region under the curve that is being considered.

4. How do you evaluate a definite integral?

To evaluate a definite integral, you need to plug in the limits of integration into the antiderivative and then calculate the resulting value. In the given integral, the limits are 0 and 3, so you would plug those values into the antiderivative and solve for the final result.

5. Can you use a calculator to solve this integral?

Yes, many scientific calculators have a built-in function for evaluating integrals. However, it is important to understand the process of integral evaluation and how to solve it by hand before relying on a calculator. Additionally, there may be certain types of integrals that cannot be solved using a calculator and require more advanced techniques.