What is the Integral of 1/{x-(1-x^2)0.5} and How Can It Be Simplified?

• Thread starter haleycomet2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses how to simplify and integrate the fraction \int\frac{dx}{x-\sqrt{1-x^2}} using various methods, including partial fractions. However, it is determined that the most efficient way to integrate the fraction is by using a trig substitution and the Weierstrass substitution.
haleycomet2

Homework Statement

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{dx}{x-\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i try to simplify it by multiplying [itex]\frac{x+\sqrt{1-x^2}}{x+\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/itex],becoming =[itex]\frac{x+\sqrt{1-x^2}}{2x^2-1}[/itex]
=[itex]\int[/itex]{[itex]\frac{x}{2x^2-1}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{\sqrt{1-x^2}}{2x^2-1}[/itex]}dx

ps:
a.Can i partial fraction the last term to [itex]\frac{A}{x-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{B}{x+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}}[/itex]??
b.i try to integrate by using wolfram alpha online ,but the steps is incredibly long..:yuck:
does it exist any other simpler way??

Attachments

• MSP228819g51683fe6hcdc2000020di7868f4g54010.jpg
    MSP228819g51683fe6hcdc2000020di7868f4g54010.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 512
Physics news on Phys.org
I checked W-A, and they did it the same way I would have: Begin with a trig substitution like x=sin(u), then use the Weierstrass substitution: v=tan(u/2). It will be long and difficult, but it's possible.

haleycomet2 said:
a.Can i partial fraction the last term to [itex]\frac{A}{x-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{B}{x+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}}[/itex]??
No, because both the numerator and denominator of the original fraction must be polynomials, and in
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{1-x^2}}{2x^2-1}[/tex]
the numerator is not a polynomial.

o,i see.Thanks a lot:smile:

1. What is the meaning of "Integral of 1/{x-(1-x^2)0.5}"?

The integral of 1/{x-(1-x^2)0.5} represents the area under the curve of the function 1/{x-(1-x^2)0.5} from a given point to another point on the x-axis.

2. How is the integral of 1/{x-(1-x^2)0.5} calculated?

The integral of 1/{x-(1-x^2)0.5} can be calculated using various methods such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions.

3. Is the integral of 1/{x-(1-x^2)0.5} a definite or indefinite integral?

The integral of 1/{x-(1-x^2)0.5} can be both a definite or indefinite integral, depending on the given limits of integration.

4. What is the domain and range of the function 1/{x-(1-x^2)0.5}?

The domain of the function 1/{x-(1-x^2)0.5} is all real numbers except for x=1 and x=-1. The range of the function is all real numbers except for y=0.

5. How is the integral of 1/{x-(1-x^2)0.5} used in real-world applications?

The integral of 1/{x-(1-x^2)0.5} is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to calculate quantities related to rates of change, such as velocity, acceleration, and cost functions.