1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of 1/{x-(1-x^2)0.5}

1. Jun 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{dx}{x-\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

i try to simplify it by multiplying [itex]\frac{x+\sqrt{1-x^2}}{x+\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/itex],becoming =[itex]\frac{x+\sqrt{1-x^2}}{2x^2-1}[/itex]
    =[itex]\int[/itex]{[itex]\frac{x}{2x^2-1}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{\sqrt{1-x^2}}{2x^2-1}[/itex]}dx

ps:
    a.Can i partial fraction the last term to [itex]\frac{A}{x-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{B}{x+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}}[/itex]??
    b.i try to integrate by using wolfram alpha online ,but the steps is incredibly long..:yuck:
    does it exist any other simpler way??

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2011 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

I checked W-A, and they did it the same way I would have: Begin with a trig substitution like x=sin(u), then use the Weierstrass substitution: v=tan(u/2). It will be long and difficult, but it's possible.

4. Jun 26, 2011 #3

eumyang

Homework Helper

No, because both the numerator and denominator of the original fraction must be polynomials, and in
    [tex]\frac{\sqrt{1-x^2}}{2x^2-1}[/tex]
    the numerator is not a polynomial.

5. Jun 26, 2011 #4
    o,i see.Thanks a lot:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook