Integral of a constant function with/without endpoint

In summary, the conversation is about the integral of a function with a constant value over a given interval and whether changing the value of the function at the endpoints affects the integral. The answer is no, as long as the function remains constant within the interval, the integral will remain the same. This can be explained using the properties of a step function and the fact that the integral is not affected by points of measure zero.
Flumpster

Homework Statement

/

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that given [itex]f(x)=c[/itex], the integral from [itex]a≤x≤b[/itex] is [itex]c(b-a)[/itex] (at least, I hope I know that! :D).
Is the integral the same value if you don't include an endpoint? That is, if you were evaluating [itex]f(x)[/itex] from [itex]a≤x<b[/itex]?

Intuitively I think it both integrals should be the same value, for 2 reasons:

1) The two integrals are the same except one of them doesn't include the ordinate of b (does not include [itex]f(b)[/itex] in the set of function values). This can be represented as a vertical line which would have no area.

2) I'm even less sure about this bit, but surely you could use a limit to show that evaluating the integral from [itex]a≤x<b[/itex] - "from a to as close to be as you can get" - is the same as evaluating it up to and including b?

Like I said, I don't really know, and these two reasons are just based on my gut feeling. I'd like to understand this properly, and answering this for me would be awesome, so thanks in advance! I equally want to know what the flaws there are in my thinking :)
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Flumpster said:

Homework Statement

/

I know that given [itex]f(x)=c[/itex], the integral from [itex]a≤x≤b[/itex] is [itex]c(b-a)[/itex] (at least, I hope I know that! :D).
Is the integral the same value if you don't include an endpoint? That is, if you were evaluating [itex]f(x)[/itex] from [itex]a≤x<b[/itex]?

Intuitively I think it both integrals should be the same value, for 2 reasons:

1) The two integrals are the same except one of them doesn't include the ordinate of b (does not include [itex]f(b)[/itex] in the set of function values). This can be represented as a vertical line which would have no area.

2) I'm even less sure about this bit, but surely you could use a limit to show that evaluating the integral from [itex]a≤x<b[/itex] - "from a to as close to be as you can get" - is the same as evaluating it up to and including b?

Like I said, I don't really know, and these two reasons are just based on my gut feeling. I'd like to understand this properly, and answering this for me would be awesome, so thanks in advance! I equally want to know what the flaws there are in my thinking :)
Thanks!

So your question is about the operator : [itex]\int_{a}^{b}[/itex]

I believe what you're asking is what if we had : [itex]\int_{a}^{}f(x)dx[/itex]

The answer is that this would not happen.

I think you misunderstood me, I probably haven't been using the correct terminology.
I dug up my calculus book, and I think what I'm thinking about is a step function.
In the book, it says the following:

"...if s(x) = c for all x in the closed interval [a,b], the ordinate set of s is a rectangle of base (b-a) and altitude c; the integral of s is c(b-a), the area of this rectangle. Changing the value of s at one or both endpoints a or b changes the ordinate set but does not alter the integral of s or the area of its ordinate set."

Lets say that f(x) = 5 for all x in the closed interval [a,b]. Or, put in a way more congruent with how I put it in my original post, x=5 when a ≤ x ≤ b. The integral is 5(b-a).

Now I change the value of the endpoint b to 7. x=5 when a ≤ x < b, and at b, x=7. Is the integral still given by 5(b-a)?

Flumpster said:
I think you misunderstood me, I probably haven't been using the correct terminology.
I dug up my calculus book, and I think what I'm thinking about is a step function.
In the book, it says the following:

"...if s(x) = c for all x in the closed interval [a,b], the ordinate set of s is a rectangle of base (b-a) and altitude c; the integral of s is c(b-a), the area of this rectangle. Changing the value of s at one or both endpoints a or b changes the ordinate set but does not alter the integral of s or the area of its ordinate set."

Lets say that f(x) = 5 for all x in the closed interval [a,b]. Or, put in a way more congruent with how I put it in my original post, x=5 when a ≤ x ≤ b. The integral is 5(b-a).

Now I change the value of the endpoint b to 7. x=5 when a ≤ x < b, and at b, x=7. Is the integral still given by 5(b-a)?

I think I understand what you're trying to say, but think about it like this.

A more general way of thinking about what you're trying to say is to suppose f(x) = c ( Where c is a real number of course ). Visually you should know that f(x) = c is a straight, horizontal line which is parallel to the x-axis.

You also know that the limits of integration a and b are straight vertical lines which intersect f(x) and will allow you to calculate the area under f(x).

Now consider :

[itex]\int_{a}^{b}f(x)dx = \int_{a}^{b}cdx = c\int_{a}^{b}dx = c[x]_{a}^{b} = c(b-a)[/itex]

Lets say c = 1, 2, 3, 4,..., n. The larger c becomes, the higher the height of the rectangle will be ( When I say height, I mean width in this case since we're working in 2D ). Changing the value of c will have absolutely no impact on the result of your integral other than a different number getting spat out of c(b-a). Changing b or a will also have no effect.

Yes, you can even change the value of your function at infinitely-many points:

Take the function that is 1 when x is irrational , and 0 when x is rational. Its

integral equals 1. The reason is, we can make the base rectangle as small as we

want, to make the contribution of the "bad" points to be negligible. More

formally, the integral is not affected by "sets of measure zero".

Thank you both for your answers :)
I still haven't really managed to explain what I'm talking about...I'll have a look at related threads in the forum to see if I can clarify.

Flumpster said:

Homework Statement

/

(I know it's been answered.)

The answer is, yes, you get the same value if you don't include the end point.

You then have [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{u\to b}\int_{a}^{u}f(x)\ dx=\lim_{u\to b}(c(u-a))=c(b-a)\ .[/itex]

Thanks everyone!

SammyS, thanks for writing it out like that, it made it a lot clearer to me.

RGV, I'll look at that link, thanks.

:)

1. What is the integral of a constant function with endpoint?

The integral of a constant function with an endpoint is equal to the value of the constant multiplied by the difference between the endpoint and the starting point.

2. How do you find the integral of a constant function without an endpoint?

The integral of a constant function without an endpoint is equal to the constant multiplied by the variable of integration. There is no definite value for the integral without an endpoint.

3. Is the integral of a constant function always zero?

Yes, the integral of a constant function is always zero as the area under a constant function is a rectangle with zero height.

4. Can the constant in the integral of a constant function be negative?

Yes, the constant in the integral of a constant function can be negative. It will result in a negative area under the curve.

5. Why is the integral of a constant function important in calculus?

The integral of a constant function is important in calculus as it helps in finding the area under a curve, which is a fundamental concept in calculus. It also helps in calculating the total change or accumulation of a quantity over a given interval.