Integral of exponentiated Fourier expansion

In summary, the person is trying to solve an integral, and does not know how to start. They tried complex coordinates and found the poles at every order, but do not know how to extract the coefficients. They found a solution that uses just powers of their creation/annihilation operators.
quelarion
Hello everyone,
I need to solve an integral, opfully extracting Fourier coefficients, and I don't have a clue.

It is just

[tex]
\[
\int^{2\pi}_0 d\sigma \text{exp}{A(\sigma)}
\]
[/tex]

where

[tex]
\[
A(\sigma) = \sum_n a_n e^{-i n \sigma }
\]
[/tex]

I tried to work with complex coordinates [tex]
\[
z = e^{-i \sigma}
\]
[/tex] and look for the poles, but since there are poles at every order I can't go through that...

Any idea? I don't even know how to look on the net for something like this...
Thank you guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if I can help you or not, but your question is not clear to me. What do you mean by "poles at every order"? Is [itex]A(\sigma)[/itex] a given periodic function for which you seek the complex Fourier coefficients? Does it satisfy the Dirichlet conditions? More details please.

well, [tex] \[ A(\sigma) \] [/tex] should be a [tex] \[ C^\infty \] [/tex] function (all derivatives exist and are differentiable).

I don't know if the problem is really well defined mathematically, for me [tex] \[ A(\sigma) \] [/tex] is a field for which I know the expansion in creation and annihilation operators. And everything is normal ordered. But I would like to avoid all the complications of considering it as a quantum operator and go straight to the mathematical problem, if it is solvable ;)

As for the "poles at every order" i meant that i can define [tex] \[ z = e^{-i \sigma} \] [/tex], and write the integral as

[tex] i \int_\gamma d z \frac{1}{z} \text{exp}\left( \sum_{n>0}( f_n z^n + f_{-n} z^{-n}) + f_0 \right)[/tex]

where [tex] \[ \gamma \] [/tex] is a closed contour around the origin in the complex plane.
I could try now to compute the residues at the poles, expanding the exponential for the negative n.

[tex] i \int_\gamma d z \frac{e^{f_0}}{z} \sum_{k>0} \left( \sum_{m>0} f_{-m} z^{-m}\right)^k \text{exp}\left( \sum_{n>0} f_n z^n \right)[/tex]

but even assuming that I can compute the k power of this series i would get

[tex] i \int_\gamma d z e^{f_0} \sum_{k>0} \sum_{m>0} F_{m,k} z^{-mk-1} \text{exp}\left( \sum_{n>0} f_n z^n \right)[/tex]

where F_{m,k} are some combinations of the f's.
At this point there are poles at every order, from 1 to infinity, so one should take an arbitrary high derivative of the exponential left (that depends on z) and then compute it for z=0 to get the residue...
It doesn't seems a good way to go through this problem, does it?

Thank you anyway ;)

Well, that clarifies enough for me to tell that I'm not the guy to help you with it. Sorry, but it's a bit far afield for me.

hehehe, thank you anyway ;)

You might try the following:

[tex]\exp\left[ \sum_n a_n e^{-in\sigma} \right] = \prod_n \exp\left[a_n e^{-in\sigma}\right] = \prod_n \exp\left[a_n \cos(n\sigma)\right]\exp\left[-ia_n \sin(n\sigma)\right],[/tex]

then use the identities

[tex] e^{iz \sin\phi} = \sum_{m=-\infty}^{\infty} J_m(z) e^{im\phi} [/tex]

and[tex] e^{z \cos\phi} = I_0(z) + 2\sum_{m=1}^{\infty} I_m(z) \cos{m\phi} [/tex]

where J and I are bessel functions and modified bessel functions, respectively.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessel_function

This will, however, place your coefficients [itex]a_n[/itex] inside the bessel functions, which may not be so useful in being able to extract them. You will also have very many products of sums, which may be quite difficult, if not impossible, to deal with.

Last edited:
thanks, it seems to be a good solution ;)

I just checked these functions and since they contain just powers of my creation/annihilation operators they would work perfectly. Anyway tomorrow I will check in detail and I will let you know ;)

thanks again!

Related to Integral of exponentiated Fourier expansion

1. What is the integral of exponentiated Fourier expansion?

The integral of exponentiated Fourier expansion is a mathematical operation that involves calculating the area under a curve formed by a Fourier series that has been exponentiated. This operation is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics, to solve complex equations and analyze data.

2. How is the integral of exponentiated Fourier expansion calculated?

The integral of exponentiated Fourier expansion is calculated by using the properties of integration, such as linearity, substitution, and integration by parts. It involves breaking down the Fourier series into simpler terms and then integrating each term individually. The resulting integrals are then combined to give the final value.

3. What is the significance of the integral of exponentiated Fourier expansion?

The integral of exponentiated Fourier expansion has significant applications in signal processing, data analysis, and solving differential equations. It allows for the decomposition of complex signals or functions into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and manipulate the data. It is also used in the study of periodic functions and their properties.

4. Are there any limitations to using the integral of exponentiated Fourier expansion?

While the integral of exponentiated Fourier expansion is a useful tool in mathematics and science, it does have some limitations. It is not always possible to find an exact solution through integration, and in some cases, numerical methods must be used. Additionally, the accuracy of the results depends on the convergence of the Fourier series, which may not always be guaranteed.

5. Can the integral of exponentiated Fourier expansion be used in real-life applications?

Yes, the integral of exponentiated Fourier expansion has numerous real-life applications, such as in signal processing, image reconstruction, and data analysis. It is used in fields such as telecommunications, medical imaging, and digital signal processing to analyze and manipulate data efficiently. It is also widely used in physics and engineering to solve complex equations and model real-world phenomena.