Integral of z^n on a closed contour

  • Thread starter Thread starter futurebird
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Closed Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 11K views
futurebird
Messages
270
Reaction score
0
I'm trying to show that
[tex]\int_{c}z^{n}dz= \left\{\frac{0, n\neq-1}{2\pi i, n=-1}\right[/tex]

I did a change of variables with [tex]z=e^{i\theta}[/tex] and [tex]dz=ire^{i\theta}d\theta[/tex]:

[tex]=i\int^{2\pi}_{0}r^{n+1}e^{i(n+1)\theta}d\theta[/tex]

[tex]=ir^{n+1}\int^{2\pi}_{0}e^{i(n+1)\theta}d\theta[/tex] Moving the constant out.

[tex]=-(n+1)r^{n+1}\int^{2\pi}_{0}\frac{e^{i(n+1)\theta}d\theta}{i(n+1)}[/tex] Getting ready to integrate.

[tex]=-r^{n+1}(n+1)\left[e^{i(n+1)\theta}\right]^{2\pi}_{0}[/tex]

[tex]=-r^{n+1}(n+1)[/tex]?

This is nothing like the answer... where am I going wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, your work is only valid when n + 1 is nonzero.

Secondly, your ultimate step doesn't follow from your penultimate step.

Thirdly, you computed the antiderivative wrong when going from your antepenultimate step to your penultimate step.
 
Hurkyl said:
Firstly, your work is only valid when n + 1 is nonzero.

Secondly, your ultimate step doesn't follow from your penultimate step.

Thirdly, you computed the antiderivative wrong when going from your antepenultimate step to your penultimate step.

Okay thanks.
 
If [itex]n+ 1\ne 0[/itex], what IS [tex]e^{i(n+1)(2\pi)}[/tex] and [tex]e^{i(n+1)(0)}[/tex]?

(It's NOT 1!)
 
HallsofIvy said:
If [itex]n+ 1\ne 0[/itex], what IS [tex]e^{i(n+1)(2\pi)}[/tex] and [tex]e^{i(n+1)(0)}[/tex]?

(It's NOT 1!)

Wait why isn't [tex]e^{i(n+1)(0)}=1?[/tex] or are you talking about the whole integral?

[tex]e^{i(n+1)(2\pi)}[/tex]

[tex]=e^{2\pi i}e^{2\pi in}[/tex]

[tex]=e^{2\pi i}(e^{2\pi i})^n[/tex]

[tex]=(1)(1)^n[/tex]

[tex]=1[/tex]

I thought that I fixed my errors since I had the correct solution after integrating in the right way. Then I looked at what happened when n=-1 and everything seemed fine.

But, if this is wrong, then I'm still missing something.

****Nevermind****** I see what you mean now!
 
Last edited:
[tex]=i\int^{2\pi}_{0}r^{n+1}e^{i(n+1)\theta}d\theta[/tex]

[tex]=ir^{n+1}\int^{2\pi}_{0}e^{i(n+1)\theta}d\theta[/tex] Moving the constant out.

[tex]=\frac{r^{n+1}}{n+1}\int^{2\pi}_{0}i(n+1)e^{i(n+1)\theta}d\theta[/tex] Getting ready to integrate, the right way

[tex]=\frac{r^{n+1}}{n+1}\left[e^{i(n+1)\theta}\right]^{2\pi}_{0}[/tex]

[tex]=\left[e^{i(n+1)2\pi}-e^{0}\right][/tex]

[tex]=0[/tex]

But this whole process only makes sense if [tex]n\neq-1[/tex], so for that case we just plug in -1 for n to:

[tex]i\int^{2\pi}_{0}r^{0}e^{i(0)\theta}d\theta=2\pi i[/tex]

So,

[tex]\int_{c}z^{n}dz= \left\{\frac{0, n\neq-1}{2\pi i, n=-1}\right[/tex]