Evaluate Integral from 0 to 2 Using Power Series | Find Pi Estimate

• Thread starter the7joker7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about evaluating an integral and finding an estimate for the value of pi using the first few terms of an infinite series. The answer for part (a) should be in the form of kpi, where k is an integer. For part (b), the power series for the function f(x) = 40/(x^2 + 4) is needed, and the first few terms of the resulting infinite series should be found. Part (c) involves using the answers from parts (a) and (b) to approximate the value of pi by the first 5 terms of the infinite series. Lastly, part (d) asks for the upper bound of the error when using the first 10 terms of
the7joker7

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral...

int(0 to 2) of 40/(x^2 + 4)dx

a: Your answer should be in the form ` kpi `, where ` k ` is an integer. What is the value of ` k `?

b: Now, let's evaluate the same integral using power series. First, find the power series for the function ` f(x) = (40)/(x^2+4) `. Then, integrate it from 0 to 2, and call it S. S should be an infinite series.

What are the first few terms of S ?

c: The answers to part (a) and (b) are equal (why?). Hence, if you divide your infinite series from (b) by ` k ` (the answer to (a)), you have found an estimate for the value of ` pi ` in terms of an infinite series. Approximate the value of ` pi ` by the first 5 terms.

d: What is the upper bound for your error of your estimate if you use the first 10 terms? (Use the alternating series estimation.)

The Attempt at a Solution

k is 5, this is correct, I know how to get k...

the first term of the series is 20, I know how to get that, but then the rest of my series goes wacky.

Here's my equation for the series

the sum of (-1)^n * ((2)^(2n + 1)/(10^(n - 1) * (2n + 1))

I can show how I got that in case anyone wants, but I think it's fairly obvious.

And at the end of that, using exact integral notation, there'd be the same equation but instead of that first 2 there'd be a 0, but that simplifies to 0 so it doesn't matter.

When I use n = 0, I get 20 like I'm supposed to, but when I use n = 1, i get -2.6667...answer is -6.6667

my next term is .64, should be getting 4...then -.182857, should get a -2.85714285714...then .0568888889, should get a 2.22222222222...

For c and d of course I'm going to be off, but I got 3.5694 and 3.64722E-6 respectively. The correct answers are 3.33968253968 and 0.190476190476.

Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
OK. So, first of all, your series is close, but not correct. Since [tex]\frac{40}{x^2+4}[/tex] is the same as [tex]\frac{10}{1+\frac{x^2}{4}}[/tex], for all x in the interval of convergence,

[tex]{\int_0^2 f(x) dx} = 10 {\int_0^2 {\sum_n \left(\frac{-1}{4}\right)^n x^{2n} } dx} = 10{\sum_n \left(\frac{-1}{4}\right)^n \frac{2^{2n+1} }{2n+1}}[/tex]

This should fix your problem. :)

1. What is an integral problem?

An integral problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the area under a curve. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to solve a variety of real-world problems, such as calculating the volume of a shape or determining the distance traveled by an object.

2. How do I solve an integral problem?

To solve an integral problem, you will need to use integration techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. These techniques allow you to find the antiderivative of the function and then evaluate it at the given limits.

3. What are the different types of integrals?

There are two main types of integrals: definite and indefinite. A definite integral has specific upper and lower limits, while an indefinite integral does not have limits and results in a general solution. In addition, integrals can be single or multiple, depending on the number of variables present in the function.

4. How can I check my answer to an integral problem?

You can check your answer by taking the derivative of the antiderivative you found. If the derivative matches the original function, then your answer is correct. You can also use online calculators or Wolfram Alpha to verify your answer.

5. What are some real-life applications of integral problems?

Integral problems have numerous applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. For example, they can be used to calculate the work done by a force, determine the profit or loss of a business, or find the average value of a function over a given interval.