Integrate (x^2)dx: Solution & Hint

• Thread starter dnt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, when trying to integrate a product of a polynomial and ex, or some kind of trigonometry functions, one should think about integrate by parts.
dnt

Homework Statement

how do you integrate (xcox)dx

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

ive gone through so many ways that I've learned how to integrate problems and i cannot figure this one out. can someone just give me a hint on how to start it? thanks. (i have a feeling this is easy and I am overlooking a really basic way of doing it)

Physics news on Phys.org
When seeing a product of a polynomial and ex, or some kind of trigonometry functions. One should think about Integrate by Parts.
By letting u = the polynomial, in this case u = x.
And dv = the rest.
By the way, is your problem:
[tex]\int x \cos x dx \quad \mbox{or} \quad \int x \cot x dx[/tex]?
Can you go from here? :)

Integration by parts.

VietDao29 said:
By letting u = the polynomial, in this case u = x.
And dv = the rest.
I do not know if this mnemonic is taught everywhere, but when I was in school learning integration by parts, we were asked to remember ILATE, without justification, when deciding which part is to be u and which is to be dv. Of course, this rule need not work every time.

Inverse(Trigonometric)-Logarithmic-Algebraic-Trigonometric-Exponential.

The one that comes before the other will be u.

thanks. i knew it was easier than i thought.

and btw it was cos (forgot the s)

neutrino said:
I do not know if this mnemonic is taught everywhere, but when I was in school learning integration by parts, we were asked to remember ILATE, without justification, when deciding which part is to be u and which is to be dv. Of course, this rule need not work every time.

Inverse(Trigonometric)-Logarithmic-Algebraic-Trigonometric-Exponential.

The one that comes before the other will be u.
Well, yes, some of the textbooks here do mention it. However, the are very rare, I think.
Btw, I don't know what it's called in English. Since, I am not a native-English speaker. Still have to learn a lot. :blushing:
So yeah, thanks for the info. :)

Related to Integrate (x^2)dx: Solution & Hint

1. What is the general formula for integrating (x^2)dx?

The general formula for integrating (x^2)dx is ∫(x^2)dx = (x^3)/3 + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. What is the process for solving the integral of (x^2)dx?

The process for solving the integral of (x^2)dx is to use the power rule for integration, where the power of x is increased by 1 and divided by the new power. In this case, the power of x is 2, so we increase it by 1 to get 3 and divide by 3 to get (x^3)/3. Then, we add the constant of integration, C.

3. What is the hint for solving the integral of (x^2)dx?

The hint for solving the integral of (x^2)dx is to think of the integral as the reverse of differentiation. In this case, we are looking for the function that, when differentiated, gives us (x^2).

4. What is the result of integrating (x^2)dx?

The result of integrating (x^2)dx is (x^3)/3 + C, where C is the constant of integration.

5. Can you provide an example of solving the integral of (x^2)dx?

Yes, for example, the integral of (x^2)dx from 0 to 2 would be [(2^3)/3 + C] - [(0^3)/3 + C] = (8/3 + C) - (0/3 + C) = (8/3) - (0) = 8/3.