Finding the Area Under f(x) with Definition 2

• Thread starter phillyolly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
Keep up the good work!In summary, the conversation discusses using Definition 2 to find an expression for the area under the graph of f as a limit, specifically for the function f(x)=(lnx)/x with a given interval of 3 to 10. The attempted solution involves using the integral ∫ ln(x) / x dx = 1/2 (ln(x))² + C and converting it to the limit of a summation. However, the attempt was not entirely correct, as there were some missing factors and algebra errors. The expert advises the student to pay attention to details and encourages them to keep improving in mathematics.
phillyolly

Homework Statement

Use Definition 2 to find an expression for the area under the graph of f as a limit. Do not evaluate the limit

f(x)=(lnx)/x

3 ≤ x ≤ 10

Homework Equations

See the attachment for the Definition 2.

The Attempt at a Solution

∫ ln(x) / x dx = 1/2 (ln(x))² + C

∫ ln(x) / x dx = 1/2 [ (ln(10))² - (ln(3))² ]

Attachments

• 1111.jpg
    1111.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 372
Physics news on Phys.org
phillyolly said:

Homework Statement

Use Definition 2 to find an expression for the area under the graph of f as a limit. Do not evaluate the limit

f(x)=(lnx)/x

3 ≤ x ≤ 10

Homework Equations

See the attachment for the Definition 2.

The Attempt at a Solution

∫ ln(x) / x dx = 1/2 (ln(x))² + C

∫ ln(x) / x dx = 1/2 [ (ln(10))² - (ln(3))² ]

You are supposed to actually use Definition 2, meaning that you are supposed to write the integral as the limit of a summation. The purpose of this exercise is NOT to get a numerical value for the integral.

Is this the correct answer to the problem?

Attachments

• answer.jpg
    answer.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 346
Actually, I think this is a right answer.

Attachments

• answer.jpg
    answer.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 323
Almost, but not quite. Show us how you got that. Tell us what you used for Δx and xi first, and show us how you got the summation after you plugged everything in.

OK, I think I got a mistake. Is that correct now?

Attachments

• answer.jpg
    answer.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 386
Closer. You forgot the factor of Δx in the summation, and you made an algebra error.

I see I forgot the factor of Δx. I don't see an algebra error :(
Olga

In the denominator, you didn't use the correct expression for xi.

I admire your attention to detail. Thank you a lot.

Being good at mathematics requires attention to detail.

What is Definition 2 for finding the area under f(x)?

Definition 2 states that the area under the curve of a function f(x) between two points a and b is equal to the definite integral of f(x) from a to b. It is represented mathematically as ∫ab f(x) dx.

How do you calculate the area under f(x) using Definition 2?

To calculate the area under f(x) using Definition 2, you need to evaluate the definite integral of f(x) from a to b. This involves finding the antiderivative of f(x) and plugging in the values of a and b into the resulting expression, then subtracting the two values.

What is the difference between Definition 1 and Definition 2 for finding the area under f(x)?

Definition 1 for finding the area under f(x) uses rectangles to approximate the area, while Definition 2 uses the definite integral to find the exact area. Definition 2 is typically more accurate, especially for more complex functions.

Can Definition 2 be used for any type of function?

Yes, Definition 2 can be used for any type of function, including linear, quadratic, exponential, and trigonometric functions. However, it may be more difficult to evaluate the definite integral for more complex functions.

Why is finding the area under f(x) important?

Finding the area under f(x) is important because it allows us to calculate the total change or accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. This can have real-world applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.