How Do You Solve the Integral of (|X|)^0.5 dx?

• Thread starter somebody-nobody
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, we have discussed how to solve the integral of (|x|)^0.5dx, which is the same as (x)^0.5 except that we need to integrate from 0 to x since it is the absolute value of x. We have also seen that the integral is equal to (2/3)x√|x|.
somebody-nobody
I need help solving integral

(|X|)^0.5dx

is it sam integral as (x)^0.5 except that i will need to integrate from 0 to x since it is absolute value of x

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
somebody-nobody said:
I need help solving integral

(|X|)^0.5dx

is it sam integral as (x)^0.5 except that i will need to integrate from 0 to x since it is absolute value of x

Thanks

I suggest you look at what the functions |x|^(1/2) and x^(1/2) look like.

Last edited:
integral of sqrt[abs[x]]

Answer: [tex]\int_0^x \sqrt{|X|}dX = \frac{2}{3}x\sqrt{|x|}[/tex]

Proof: Consider that for [tex]x\geq 0,[/tex] we have

[tex]\int_0^x \sqrt{|X|}dX =\int_0^x \sqrt{X}dX = \frac{2}{3}x\sqrt{x},\mbox{ for }x\geq 0[/tex].

Also, if [tex]x\leq 0,[/tex], set [tex]t=-x[/tex] so that [tex]t\geq 0,[/tex] and we have

[tex]\int_0^x \sqrt{|X|}dX =\int_0^{-t} \sqrt{|X|}dX[/tex]

now let [tex]u=-X[/tex] so that [tex]du=-dX[/tex] and [tex]0\leq X\leq -t[/tex] becomes [tex]0\leq u\leq t[/tex] and the integral becomes

[tex]\int_0^{-t} \sqrt{|X|}dX = -\int_0^{t} \sqrt{|-u|}du = -\int_0^{t} \sqrt{u}du = -\frac{2}{3}t\sqrt{t}= \frac{2}{3}x\sqrt{-x},\mbox{ for }x\leq 0[/tex]

putting these togeather we have

[tex]\int_0^x \sqrt{|X|}dX =\left\{\begin{array}{cc}\frac{2}{3}x\sqrt{-x}, & \mbox{ if } x\leq 0\\ \frac{2}{3}x\sqrt{x},&\mbox{ if }
x\geq 0\end{array}\right. =\frac{2}{3}x\sqrt{|x|}[/tex]​

Last edited:
thank you

thanks to both of you

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is used to solve problems involving continuous functions, and is an important tool in calculus.

2. What is the purpose of solving integrals?

The purpose of solving integrals is to find the exact value of the area under a curve, which can be used to solve real-world problems in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It also helps to understand the behavior and properties of functions.

3. How do I solve an integral?

The process of solving an integral involves finding the anti-derivative of the given function, which is the original function before it was differentiated. This can be done using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions.

4. What is the meaning of the absolute value in this integral?

The absolute value in this integral represents the distance of the function from the x-axis. It is used to ensure that the area under the curve is always positive, regardless of whether the function is above or below the x-axis.

5. Can you provide an example of solving this integral?

Sure, let's solve the integral of (|x|)^0.5dx. We first rewrite it as x^0.5dx since the absolute value of x is always positive. Then, we use the power rule for integration, which gives us (2x^(1.5))/3 + C as the final answer. The constant C represents the integration constant, which can take any value.