Integrals - the Substitution Rule with sin^n(x)

In summary: I got so far:∫cos^n(x)dx from 0 to pi/2=∫sin^n(\frac{\pi}{2}-x)dx from 0 to pi/2=∫sin^n(-x)dx from -pi/2 to 0=∫sin^n(x)dx from 0 to pi/2
sugarxsweet

Homework Statement

Given that n is a positive integer, prove ∫sin^n(x)dx=∫cos^n(x)dx from 0 -> pi/2

Homework Equations

Perhaps sin^2(x)+cos^2(x)=1? Not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't even know where to start. Should I set u=sin(x) or cos(x)? Doesn't seem to get the right answer either way...

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show that the area under the graph from 0 to 90deg is the same for sin and cosine to any power.

Your first step is to understand the problem - try sketching the graphs for a few powers and shading the area in question to see what you are up against.

There is a rule for integrating powers of sin and cos ... you can derive it from integration by parts. Knowing the rule, you can probably just do it algebraically.

Or you can try a substitution in one like [itex]x=\frac{\pi}{2}-u[/itex] and exploit the parity of the functions.

Sorry, to clarify, the hint says:
Use a trigonometric identity and substitution. Do not solve the definite integrals

Given this information, how would you recommend solving?

sugarxsweet said:

Homework Statement

Given that n is a positive integer, prove ∫sin^n(x)dx=∫cos^n(x)dx from 0 -> pi/2

Homework Equations

Perhaps sin^2(x)+cos^2(x)=1? Not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't even know where to start. Should I set u=sin(x) or cos(x)? Doesn't seem to get the right answer either way...

The co-function identity states that [itex]\displaystyle \cos(x) = \sin\left(\frac{\pi}{2}-x\right)\ .[/itex]

Thanks! I got so far:

∫cos^n(x)dx from 0 to pi/2
=∫sin^n(pi/2-x)dx from 0 to pi/2
=∫sin^n(-x)dx from -pi/2 to 0
=∫sin^n(x)dx from 0 to pi/2

Does this look right to you? Thanks for the hint!

Yeah, that's the idea - it was the second hint post #2 :)

You should comment each step in your actual answer, to explain what you are doing.

sugarxsweet said:
Thanks! I got so far:

∫cos^n(x)dx from 0 to pi/2
=∫sin^n(pi/2-x)dx from 0 to pi/2
=∫sin^n(-x)dx from -pi/2 to 0
=∫sin^n(x)dx from 0 to pi/2

Does this look right to you? Thanks for the hint!
Use the substitution, [itex]u=\frac{\pi}{2}-x[/itex] to show that [itex]\displaystyle \int_{x=0}^{x=\pi/2}\sin^n(\frac{\pi}{2}-x)\,dx = \int_{u=\pi/2}^{u=0}-\sin(u)\,du\ .[/itex]

Thanks!

1. What is the Substitution Rule with sin^n(x)?

The Substitution Rule with sin^n(x) is a method used in integration to evaluate integrals involving powers of sine. It involves substituting a new variable, u, for the sine function, which allows for the integral to be simplified and evaluated using basic integration techniques.

2. How do you use the Substitution Rule with sin^n(x)?

To use the Substitution Rule with sin^n(x), you first identify the integral as one that can be solved using this method. Then, you choose a new variable, u, to substitute for the sine function. This variable should be chosen such that when u is substituted back into the integral, it simplifies and becomes easier to evaluate. After substituting, you can use basic integration techniques to solve the integral in terms of u, and then substitute back in for the original variable, x.

3. What is the benefit of using the Substitution Rule with sin^n(x)?

The Substitution Rule with sin^n(x) allows for the evaluation of integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve using basic integration techniques. It simplifies the integral and makes it more manageable, often resulting in a solution that can be easily integrated using methods such as the power rule or u-substitution.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Substitution Rule with sin^n(x)?

While the Substitution Rule with sin^n(x) is a useful method for evaluating integrals, it does have its limitations. It can only be used for integrals involving powers of sine, and it may not always result in a simplified integral. Additionally, it can sometimes be difficult to choose the right substitution variable, which can complicate the integration process.

5. How can I practice using the Substitution Rule with sin^n(x)?

The best way to practice using the Substitution Rule with sin^n(x) is to solve a variety of integrals using this method. You can find practice problems online or in a calculus textbook. Additionally, working with a tutor or attending a study group can help you gain a better understanding of the Substitution Rule and how to apply it to different types of integrals involving sine.