Integrate by Parts: Rules & Tips for (1/x)(e^-cx)dx

In summary: Yes its read as \int x e ^ x dx ...Err?There's some huge differences from your first post. In your first post, you said:Intergration {(1/x) (e^-cx) }dx.and now you say it's Int xexdx... As far as I can tell, there's absolutely no similarity between the two... :frown:goel_heena, it's important to post the problem exactly.
goel_heena
Hi

Can anyone pls suggest the trick to do integration by parts such as:

Intergration {(1/x) (e^-cx) }dx.

Which function normally we should take as first and second function.
Is there a rule to decide on it.

Plz reply
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
goel_heena said:
Hi

Plz reply
thanks

It takes a bit of practice to start noticing which function you should chose to be the one you differentiate or integrate, for the one you have I think it might be better to integrate 1/x and differentiate e, but I'm not completely sure how well that will work.

goel_heena said:
Hi

Plz reply
thanks

Here's a good rule: Try one and if it doesn't work, try the other! Surely that would have taken less time than waiting for a reply here.

Sorry to interrupt you guys, but can this expression be done by Integration by Parts?
It seems that the answer does contains the Exponential Integral. Am I missing something?
Unless it reads:
[tex]\int x e ^ x dx[/tex] or something along those lines, I don't think Integration by Parts will work...
Am I missing something?

VietDao29 said:
Sorry to interrupt you guys, but can this expression be done by Integration by Parts?
It seems that the answer does contains the Exponential Integral. Am I missing something?
Unless it reads:
[tex]\int x e ^ x dx[/tex] or something along those lines, I don't think Integration by Parts will work...
Am I missing something?

You can integrate an exponent;

[tex]\int e^{kx} = \frac{1}{k}e^{kx} + C[/tex]

That's if I remember correctly...:confused:

Hootenanny said:
You can integrate an exponent;

[tex]\int e^{kx} = \frac{1}{k}e^{kx} + C[/tex]

That's if I remember correctly...:confused:
Yes, of course, you can integrate exponents (and you seem to remember it correctly :smile: , just one note, you forgot the variable of integration :wink:). However, just look at the first post again, his integral is:
[tex]\int \frac{e ^ {-cx}}{x} dx[/tex], and not
[tex]\int e^{kx} dx[/tex] :)
The Exponential Integral is a function which is like Sine Integral or Cosine Integral.
You may want to take a brief look at this page. He may also integrate that expression using series, but it's not going to give a nice result...
And I just wonder if it can be done with Integration by Parts. :confused:

Last edited:
VietDao29 said:
Unless it reads:
Am I missing something?

Yes its read as [tex]\int x e ^ x dx[/tex] ...

Something like this perhaps?

[tex]\int \; u\frac{dv}{dx} = uv - \int \; v\frac{du}{dx}[/tex]

So if we let [itex] u = \frac{1}{x}[/itex] and [itex] \frac{dv}{dx} = e^{-cx}[/itex] gives;

[tex]= \frac{1}{x}\cdot\frac{-1}{c}e^{-cx} - \int\frac{-1}{c}e^{-cx}\cdot\frac{-1}{x^2}\;\;dx[/tex]

I won't carry on because we're not suppose to show full solutions, but by the looks of it, it can be done...

goel_heena said:
Err?
There's some huge differences from your first post. In your first post, you said:
goel_heena said:
and now you say it's Int xexdx... As far as I can tell, there's absolutely no similarity between the two... :frown:
goel_heena, it's important to post the problem exactly.
------------------
by the way, have you tried anything?
Now if you choose u = ex, dv = xdx, then you'll have:
[tex]\int x e ^ x dx = \frac{1}{2} x ^ 2 e ^ x - \frac{1}{2} \int x ^ 2 e ^ x dx[/tex]. Arrghh, it looks even more complicated then your original integral, so let's try another way.
This time, what should be u, and what should be dv, you think?
Can you go from here? :)

Hootenanny said:
Something like this perhaps?

[tex]\int \; u\frac{dv}{dx} = uv - \int \; v\frac{du}{dx}[/tex]
No offense, but are you sure that's the right formula for Integration by Parts? Where is your variable of integraion? Please, make sure that you are sure about something before helping someone else, or you may just make them more confused.
The correct version:
[tex]\int u dv = uv - \int vdu[/tex].
So if we let [itex] u = \frac{1}{x}[/itex] and [itex] \frac{dv}{dx} = e^{-cx}[/itex] gives;

[tex]= \frac{1}{x}\cdot\frac{-1}{c}e^{-cx} - \int\frac{-1}{c}e^{-cx}\cdot\frac{-1}{x^2}\;\;dx[/tex]

I won't carry on because we're not suppose to show full solutions, but by the looks of it, it can be done...
IMO, that looks way harder than the original integral. :frown:

goel_heena said:

Wait a minute! What is your question

It is (1)
[tex]\int \; xe^{-cx} \;\; dx [/tex]

or it it (2)
[tex]\int \; \frac{e^{-cx}}{x} \;\; dx [/tex]

?

As VietDao said, it is very important to accurately present your question. Either equation is solvable using the integration by parts.

VietDao29 said:
No offense, but are you sure that's the right formula for Integration by Parts? Where is your variable of integraion? Please, make sure that you are sure about something before helping someone else, or you may just make them more confused.
The correct version:
[tex]\int u dv = uv - \int vdu[/tex].

IMO, that looks way harder than the original integral. :frown:

Yes I do know about it. It is the correct formula, it is equivalent to your formula. My variable of integration is dx.

Looking at it now the better subsitution could be

[tex]u = e^{-cx}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{1}{x}[/tex]

I don't know, I haven't worked through the problem, but this one looks like the most promising

Hootenanny said:
...Either equation is solvable using the integration by parts.
Are you sure the second one is solvable? :wink:
Looking at it now the better subsitution could be

[tex]u = e^{-cx}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{1}{x}[/tex]

I don't know, I haven't worked through the problem, but this one looks like the most promising
Hmm, one last advice, please work it out first, before making such assumption. :smile:
And as I pointed out in my previous post, I don't see it very promising. :frown: Don't be surprised if you keep getting monstrous expressions by using Integration by Parts. :)

Last edited:
VietDao29 said:
Are you sure the second one is solvable? :wink:

Hmm, one last advice, please work it out first, before making such assumption. :smile:
And as I pointed out in my previous post, I don't see it very promising. :frown:

Point taken...:blushing:

Related to Integrate by Parts: Rules & Tips for (1/x)(e^-cx)dx

1. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are functions of x and ∫ represents integration.

2. How do you choose which function to use as u and which to use as dv?

In general, u should be a function that becomes simpler when differentiated, and dv should be a function that becomes easier to integrate when differentiated. A common acronym to help remember this is "LIATE," which stands for Logarithmic, Inverse Trig, Algebraic, Trigonometric, and Exponential functions.

3. Can integration by parts be used for all types of integrals?

No, integration by parts is most commonly used for integrals involving a product of two functions, where one function becomes simpler and the other becomes easier to integrate when differentiated. It is not typically used for integrals that can be solved using other methods, such as substitution or partial fractions.

4. What are some tips for success when using integration by parts?

Some tips for success include carefully choosing u and dv, being aware of any patterns or simplifications that may occur during the integration process, and being patient and methodical when working through the steps of integration by parts.

5. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when using integration by parts?

One common mistake is forgetting to include the constant of integration when integrating ∫v du. It is also important to be careful with the signs when differentiating and integrating, and to double check that the final answer is correct by differentiating it to see if it matches the original integrand.