Integrate [itex]\int_0^1\frac{\sin(\pi x)}{1-x}dx[/itex]

• Thread starter funcalys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the conversation discusses a difficult integral that does not have an elementary antiderivative representation. The suggestion to use contour integration is mentioned, but it is noted that expanding the denominator as a power series may yield better results. One person suggests using a change of variables and expanding the resulting integral as a power series, which is deemed the most plausible solution. Other methods such as numerical integration are also mentioned as possible approaches.
funcalys

Homework Statement

[itex]\int_0^1\frac{\sin(\pi x)}{1-x}dx[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\int \frac{\sin (\pi x)}{1-x}=Si(\pi-\pi x)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was stuck on the above integral while solving an exercise, I found out earlier on Wolfram that this integral doesn't probably have an elementary antiderivative representation so I cannot just calculate it directly by Newton-Leibniz formula. Integration by parts is not very viable in this case also. Maybe this needs the notion of contour integration to be solved? Any idea guys?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried expanding the denominator as a power series?

Yeah, looks like it yielded some positive results finally , thanks very much for your help.

Oh, I did expand the denominator as a power series and then integrate term by term by resulting series, but I can't proceed to the next step. The general formula for arbitrary k is too complicated for me.

Then stop with some finite power for an approximation.

funcalys said:
Oh, I did expand the denominator as a power series and then integrate term by term by resulting series, but I can't proceed to the next step. The general formula for arbitrary k is too complicated for me.

If you change variables to t = 1-x you will get the value of the integral as ##I = \text{Si}(\pi),## where
[tex] \text{Si}(x) = \int_0^x \frac{\sin(t)}{t} \, dt.[/tex] You can very easily expand ##\sin(t)## in a power series and get a very straightforward series for ##\text{Si}(x)## in powers of x. That will give you a simple-enough series for I in powers of ##\pi##.

Thank HallsofIvy.
Ray Vickson said:
If you change variables to t = 1-x you will get the value of the integral as ##I = \text{Si}(\pi),## where
[tex] \text{Si}(x) = \int_0^x \frac{\sin(t)}{t} \, dt.[/tex] You can very easily expand ##\sin(t)## in a power series and get a very straightforward series for ##\text{Si}(x)## in powers of x. That will give you a simple-enough series for I in powers of ##\pi##.
This seems like the most plausible way to handle that imo :biggrin:. Thanks.

funcalys said:
Thank HallsofIvy.

This seems like the most plausible way to handle that imo :biggrin:. Thanks.

Numerical integration methods such as Simpson's rule should work well also.

FAQ: Integrate [itex]\int_0^1\frac{\sin(\pi x)}{1-x}dx[/itex]

1. What is the value of the integral [itex]\int_0^1\frac{\sin(\pi x)}{1-x}dx[/itex]?

The value of the integral is approximately 1.570796 or [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex].

2. What is the domain of the function [itex]\frac{\sin(\pi x)}{1-x}[/itex]?

The domain of the function is all real numbers except x = 1, as this would result in a division by 0.

3. Does the function [itex]\frac{\sin(\pi x)}{1-x}[/itex] have any singularities or discontinuities?

Yes, the function has a singularity at x = 1, where it is undefined due to division by 0.

4. Is the function [itex]\frac{\sin(\pi x)}{1-x}[/itex] integrable on the interval [0,1]?

Yes, the function is continuous and bounded on the interval [0,1], therefore it is integrable on this interval.

5. How can the integral [itex]\int_0^1\frac{\sin(\pi x)}{1-x}dx[/itex] be evaluated?

The integral can be evaluated using the substitution method, by letting u = 1-x and du = -dx, which results in the integral becoming [itex]\int_1^0\frac{\sin(\pi(1-u))}{u}(-du)[/itex]. This can then be solved using trigonometric identities and the fundamental theorem of calculus.

Back