Integrating csc/cot^2: Need Help with Algebra | Assignment Problem"

• Thread starter Fresh(2^)
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrating
In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking assistance with an algebra problem for their assignment. The problem involves solving for the integral of csc x/cot2x dx using u-substitution. The student is unsure about their algebra at the equal signs and asks for clarification. The expert confirms that the student's work is correct and gives guidance on how to continue with the integration. The student expresses their understanding and thanks the expert for their help.
Fresh(2^)
Hey guys working on a problem for an assignment but my algebra is weak regrettably and I need some assistance.

Note:: I left the x and dx out for clarity.

Homework Statement

int csc/cot2

The Attempt at a Solution

int csc x/cot2x dx= int csc/cos2/sin2
= int cscsin2/cos2
= int 1/sin * sin2/cos2
= int sin/cos2

Is the algebra at the equal signs correct? If not what went wrong?

Then I make a u -substitution u = cos x then du = -sinx dx then dx = - du/sinx

that makes - int 1/u2du then i just replace that u with x

Correct ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Everything is you've done looks great up to when you get

[tex]-\int\frac{1}{u^{2}}du[/tex]

from there you integrate with respect to u.

Once you arrive at answer to this integral, you then substitute cos(x) back into the problem for u.

Let me know if you have any further questions about this.

Forty-Two said:
Everything is you've done looks great up to when you get

[tex]-\int\frac{1}{u^{2}}du[/tex]

from there you integrate with respect to u.

Once you arrive at answer to this integral, you then substitute cos(x) back into the problem for u.

Let me know if you have any further questions about this.

Thanks no other questions. I could finish easily with 1/cos + K

EDIT: - int 1/u^2 = - int u ^ -2 = - ( - 1 / u) = 1/u since u = cos then 1/ cos + K follows.

Last edited:
Glad I could help.

What is the concept of integrating csc/cot^2?

The concept of integrating csc/cot^2 involves finding the antiderivative of the given function using the basic rules of integration. This involves using trigonometric identities and substitution to simplify the function and then applying the integration rules to find the final answer.

Why is integrating csc/cot^2 important in algebra?

Integrating csc/cot^2 is important in algebra because it allows us to solve more complex algebraic equations and problems. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus, which is the study of change and motion, and is used in many scientific and mathematical applications.

What are the basic steps for integrating csc/cot^2?

The basic steps for integrating csc/cot^2 include simplifying the function using trigonometric identities, substituting variables to make the function easier to integrate, applying integration rules such as u-substitution or integration by parts, and finally solving for the antiderivative or definite integral.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when integrating csc/cot^2?

Some common mistakes to avoid when integrating csc/cot^2 include forgetting to use the chain rule when substituting variables, making errors in simplifying the function using trigonometric identities, and forgetting to include the constant of integration when finding the antiderivative.

How can I practice and improve my skills in integrating csc/cot^2?

To practice and improve your skills in integrating csc/cot^2, you can solve various problems and exercises from textbooks or online resources. You can also seek help from a tutor or join study groups to discuss and learn from others. Additionally, practicing regularly and reviewing the basic rules of integration can help improve your skills over time.