Integrating Inverse Powers: Solving ∫1/∛(x^2) dx

• Thread starter priscilla98
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the integral ∫1/∛(x^2) dx can be solved by using the rule for integrating power functions in reverse. Adding 1 to the exponent and then dividing the expression by the new exponent, we get 1 / 3√x^2 dx = x^-2/3. Using the rule for integrating, the solution is (1 / (-2/3 + 1)) x^-2/3 + C = (-3/2)x^-2/3 + C.
priscilla98

Homework Statement

Evaluate the given integral::

∫1/∛(x^2 ) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

∫(x^2)^-1/3 (1) dx

1/2 ∫(x^2)^-1/3 (2) dx

But somehow I'm stuck here. I know this is an easy problem but I just can't figure it out. Any help is appreciated. Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org

Please any help is appreciated. Am i right so far?

priscilla98 said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the given integral::

∫1/∛(x^2 ) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

∫(x^2)^-1/3 (1) dx

1/2 ∫(x^2)^-1/3 (2) dx

But somehow I'm stuck here. I know this is an easy problem but I just can't figure it out. Any help is appreciated. Thanks a lot

I can't tell what's going on. You might want to use latex. Is the problem:

[tex]\int \frac{1}{x^{2/3}}dx[/tex] ?

You're right that the function you have is x-2/3.

Remember that when differentiating a function of the form xn, you get the result:

nxn-1

In other words, the procedure for differentiation is

1. multiply the expression by a factor equal to the exponent
2. subtract 1 from the exponent

Therefore, the procedure for integrating a power function is to reverse these steps. In other words do the exact opposite steps in the exact opposite order:

1. Add 1 to the exponent
2. Divide the expression by this new exponent

If you started with xn, you end up with:

[ 1/(n+1) ]xn+1

You know that this procedure works, because if you apply it to your differentiated expression nxn-1, you get back what you started with:

(n/n)xn = xn

gb7nash said:

I'm sorry. The problem states to evaluate the given integral which is

1 / 3√x^2 dx

gb7nash said:

cepheid said:
You're right that the function you have is x-2/3.

Remember that when differentiating a function of the form xn, you get the result:

nxn-1

In other words, the procedure for differentiation is

1. multiply the expression by a factor equal to the exponent
2. subtract 1 from the exponent

Therefore, the procedure for integrating a power function is to reverse these steps. In other words do the exact opposite steps in the exact opposite order:

1. Add 1 to the exponent
2. Divide the expression by this new exponent

If you started with xn, you end up with:

[ 1/(n+1) ]xn+1

You know that this procedure works, because if you apply it to your differentiated expression nxn-1, you get back what you started with:

(n/n)xn = xn

[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{1}{3\sqrt[]{x}^{2}}[/tex]

This is the integral, thanks a lot

Last edited:

Is that the third root or 3 times the square root?

It's the third root.

gb7nash said:
Is that the third root or 3 times the square root?

You can see from the original post that it is clearly supposed to be the third root. Let's not complicate the issue. It is not necessary for the OP to learn LaTeX just for this thread.

priscilla98:

Try typing out a solution in plain text using the steps I provided. It's all just exponents, multiplying and dividing, so you can just use ^ * and / like you were before. Or you can try using the buttons marked X2 and X2 above the reply text box in order to get superscripts and subscripts.

priscilla98 said:
It's the third root.

[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{1}{\3sqrt[]{x}^{2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{x^2}}= x^{-2/3}[/tex]

So just integrate using
[tex]\int x^n dx= \frac{1}{n+1}x^{n+1}+ C[/tex]

Here's a few definitions and rules that may be useful since I'm not sure you already know these:

[tex]\sqrt[3]{x} = x^{\frac 1 3}[/tex]

[tex]\frac 1 x = x^{-1}[/tex]

[tex](x^2)^{\frac 1 3}=x^{2 \cdot \frac 1 3}=x^{\frac 2 3}[/tex]

[tex]\frac 1 {\sqrt[3](x^2)} = \frac 1 {(x^2)^{\frac 1 3}} = \frac 1 {x^{2 \cdot \frac 1 3}} = \frac 1 {x^{\frac 2 3}} = x^{-\frac 2 3}[/tex]

1. What is antidifferentiation integral?

Antidifferentiation integral, also known as indefinite integral, is the reverse process of differentiation. It involves finding the original function when the derivative of the function is given. It is denoted by the symbol ∫ and is often used to calculate areas under curves and to solve differential equations.

2. How is antidifferentiation integral different from definite integral?

Definite integral is used to find the area under a curve between two specific points, while antidifferentiation integral does not have any specified limits. In other words, definite integral gives a numerical value, whereas antidifferentiation integral gives a function as the solution.

3. What are the common techniques used for antidifferentiation integral?

The most commonly used techniques for antidifferentiation integral are the power rule, substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. These techniques involve manipulating the function and applying specific rules to find the original function.

4. Can any function be antidifferentiated?

Not all functions can be antidifferentiated. Functions that can be differentiated may not have an explicit or elementary function as the antiderivative. This means that the antiderivative may involve special functions such as trigonometric, exponential, or logarithmic functions.

5. How do I check if my answer for an antidifferentiation integral is correct?

You can check your answer by differentiating the function you found as the antiderivative. If the derivative matches the original function given in the integral, then your answer is correct. You can also use online calculators or software to verify your solution.