How Can I Integrate Special Functions Like x^x(ln x + 1)dx?

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving implicit differentiation and integration, specifically the integration of the equation ∫x^x(ln x + 1)dx. The attempt at solving the problem using techniques such as substitution and expansion was unsuccessful. It was then mentioned that the function x^x cannot be integrated in terms of elementary functions, and the steps for solving the integral using substitution were provided. The conversation concluded with the suggestion to use the derivative of x^x to find the antiderivative of the given integrand.
norice4u
This is a problem that came to me when i was doing implicit differentiation and i got curious as to how to integrate a problem like this. I was fascinated by the simplicity if an equation would have a complex integration problem.

Homework Statement

∫x^x(ln x + 1)dx, Question 1

∫x^x dx, Question 2

Homework Equations

In question 1 the original equation was an innocent looking harmless equation y=x^x.

In question 2 is what i would have obtain if i have done the following with question 1

∫x^x(ln x + 1)dx= ∫x^x . ln x dx + ∫x^x dx [Simply expanded the expression]

So as it seems expanding the equation does not help me at all.

The Attempt at a Solution

Even by substitution or using e^x properties does not help that is

x= e(ln x)
x^x= e^(ln x^x)

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any reason to believe this function can be integrated in terms of elementary functions?

Well the thing is, this was the result of an implicit differentiation, and since your referring that this cannot be integrated via elementary operations is there any special operations?

norice4u said:
This is a problem that came to me when i was doing implicit differentiation and i got curious as to how to integrate a problem like this. I was fascinated by the simplicity if an equation would have a complex integration problem.

Homework Statement

∫x^x(ln x + 1)dx, Question 1

∫x^x dx, Question 2

Homework Equations

In question 1 the original equation was an innocent looking harmless equation y=x^x.

In question 2 is what i would have obtain if i have done the following with question 1

∫x^x(ln x + 1)dx= ∫x^x . ln x dx + ∫x^x dx [Simply expanded the expression]

So as it seems expanding the equation does not help me at all.

The Attempt at a Solution

Even by substitution or using e^x properties does not help that is

x= e(ln x)
x^x= e^(ln x^x)

In Question 1, the substitution [itex]u = x^x[/itex] would immediately solve the integral.

Expanding it and trying to integrate the individual integrals wouldn't help. But all that proves is that you can't use any technique to calculate a given integral, even if an elementary integral should exist. Sometimes substitution helps (and even then, you have to find the right sub). Sometimes integration by parts helps. There's no reason to suppose that one technique would work in all cases.

[itex]\int x^x dx[/itex] cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. This is not uncommon, most functions don't have integrals expressible in terms of elementary functions.

Could you kind enough to please show me the steps when you substitute because i am still learning this because my high school teacher couldn't do this

norice4u said:
Could you kind enough to please show me the steps when you substitute because i am still learning this because my high school teacher couldn't do this

[tex]\int x^x(1 + \ln x) dx[/tex]

Substitute [itex]u = x^x[/itex].

[tex]u = {(e^{\ln x})}^x = e^{x\ln x}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{du}{dx} = [(x)(\frac{1}{x}) + \ln x].e^{x\ln x} = x^x(1 + \ln x)[/tex]
[tex]du = x^x(1 + \ln x) dx \Rightarrow dx = {(x^x(1 + \ln x))}^{-1} du[/tex]

Hence [itex]\int x^x(1 + \ln x) dx = \int x^x(1 + \ln x){(x^x(1 + \ln x))}^{-1} du = \int du = u + C = x^x + C[/itex].

You can also simply recognise that the derivative of [itex]x^x[/itex] is [itex]x^x(1 + \ln x)[/itex], which means the antiderivative of your integrand is [itex]x^x[/itex].

Last edited:
Thank-you very much Curious3141 now i'll show this to my teacher after school holidays so he can put it in my next SAC and i am dead sure no one in my cohort knows how to do it

1. What are special functions?

Special functions are specific mathematical functions that are used to solve complex or specialized problems in various fields of science and engineering. They are often used when traditional elementary functions, such as polynomials and trigonometric functions, are not sufficient to solve a problem.

2. Why are special functions important?

Special functions are important because they provide solutions to complex problems that cannot be solved with traditional elementary functions. They are also commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model and analyze real-world phenomena.

3. What are some examples of special functions?

Examples of special functions include the Bessel functions, Legendre functions, hypergeometric functions, and gamma functions. Other commonly used special functions include elliptic functions, zeta functions, and error functions.

4. How are special functions integrated?

Special functions are integrated using various techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, and contour integration. The specific technique used depends on the type of special function and the problem being solved.

5. What are some real-world applications of special functions?

Special functions have numerous real-world applications, including in physics (e.g. in quantum mechanics and electromagnetism), engineering (e.g. in signal processing and control systems), and statistics (e.g. in probability distributions). They are also used in various areas of mathematics, such as number theory and differential equations.