1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating velocity equation to find position?

1. Oct 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For t < 0, an object of mass m experiences no force and moves in the positive x direction with a constant speed vi. Beginning at t = 0, when the object passes position x = 0, it experiences a net resistive force proportional to the square of its speed: Fnet = −mkv2, where k is a constant. The speed of the object after t = 0 is given by
    v = vi/(1 + kvit).

(a) Find the position x of the object as a function of time. (Use the following as necessary: k, m, t, and vi.)

(b) Find the object's velocity as a function of position. (Use the following as necessary: k, m, t, vi, and x.)

2. Relevant equations

a = Δv/Δt
    v = Δx/Δt

3. The attempt at a solution

I am suspecting that I need to integrate the given function to find the position function? I know that v = Δx/Δt, so we should have:

dx/dt = vi/(1 + kvit)
    then we need to take the definite integral from x0 to xf or just 0 to xf. My calculus is a bit rough, but isn't this some sort of a separable differential equation? So we need to make all the x's and t's all on one side? Right now that seems, well, impossible since we have no x's? So do I need to find something involving v and x, then relate/substitute so I only have x's and t's? Help please...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2011 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Yes, integrate dx/dt = vi/(1 + kvit)

k and vi are constants, so this is of the basic form 1/(1 + a.t)
    and you just integrate with respect to t.

4. Oct 5, 2011 #3
    Ok, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook