Integrating velocity equation to find position?

In summary, an object of mass m experiences no force and moves with a constant speed vi in the positive x direction for t < 0. Beginning at t = 0, when the object passes x = 0, it experiences a net resistive force proportional to the square of its speed. The speed of the object after t = 0 is given by v = vi/(1 + kvit). To find the position function, integrate dx/dt = vi/(1 + kvit) from 0 to xf. Since k and vi are constants, the integral is of the form 1/(1 + a.t), and can be solved by integrating with respect to t.
Cryptologica

Homework Statement

For t < 0, an object of mass m experiences no force and moves in the positive x direction with a constant speed vi. Beginning at t = 0, when the object passes position x = 0, it experiences a net resistive force proportional to the square of its speed: Fnet = −mkv2, where k is a constant. The speed of the object after t = 0 is given by
v = vi/(1 + kvit).

(a) Find the position x of the object as a function of time. (Use the following as necessary: k, m, t, and vi.)

(b) Find the object's velocity as a function of position. (Use the following as necessary: k, m, t, vi, and x.)

Homework Equations

a = Δv/Δt
v = Δx/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

I am suspecting that I need to integrate the given function to find the position function? I know that v = Δx/Δt, so we should have:

dx/dt = vi/(1 + kvit)
then we need to take the definite integral from x0 to xf or just 0 to xf. My calculus is a bit rough, but isn't this some sort of a separable differential equation? So we need to make all the x's and t's all on one side? Right now that seems, well, impossible since we have no x's? So do I need to find something involving v and x, then relate/substitute so I only have x's and t's? Help please...

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, integrate dx/dt = vi/(1 + kvit)

k and vi are constants, so this is of the basic form 1/(1 + a.t)
and you just integrate with respect to t.

Ok, thanks!

1. How do you integrate the velocity equation to find position?

To integrate the velocity equation to find position, you need to use the fundamental theorem of calculus. This involves taking the integral of the velocity function with respect to time.

2. What is the difference between integrating velocity and differentiating position?

Integrating velocity involves finding the position function from the velocity function, while differentiating position involves finding the velocity function from the position function. Essentially, integrating is the reverse process of differentiating.

3. Can integration be used to find position from acceleration?

No, integration can only be used to find position from velocity. To find position from acceleration, you would need to first integrate acceleration to find velocity, then integrate velocity to find position.

4. What units are used for position and velocity?

Position is typically measured in units of length, such as meters or feet, while velocity is measured in units of length per time, such as meters per second or feet per second.

5. How does integration help in understanding an object's motion?

Integration helps in understanding an object's motion by providing a mathematical relationship between position, velocity, and acceleration. By integrating the velocity function, we can find the position function, which can then be used to analyze an object's motion over time.