Integrating with U-substitution

• Thread starter zooboodoo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrating
In summary, the conversation was about finding the integral of (1-x)((2x-x^2)^.5) dx using the substitution method. The correct solution was obtained, but with an error in the final factor of 6 instead of 3. The importance of checking the solution by differentiating was emphasized.
zooboodoo

Homework Statement

Find the integral of (1-x)((2x-x^2)^.5) dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am kind of hazy on U substitutions but I thought that was the right way to go here:
let u=2x-x^2
du=2-2x
(1/2) Integral of (u)^.5 du < i wasn't sure if I went wrong here, Since i had (1-x) in the original equation and my du=2(1-x) can i put du in my substitution as long as I put (1/2) to balance the equation?

using this I got (2x-x^2)^(3/2)/(6) + C which was marked wrong. any insight would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Your original integral is:

[tex]\int{\frac{1-x}{\sqrt{2x-x^2}}dx[/tex]

You did the substitution well.

[tex]u=2x-x^2[/tex]

[tex]du=(2-2x)dx=2(1-x)dx[/tex]

So [itex]dx=du/2(1-x)[/itex]

Now just substitute back in the integral (for dx and u)

[tex]\int{\frac{1-x}{\sqrt{u}}*\frac{du}{2(1-x)}}[/tex]

oh no the initial integral is (1-x)Squareroot(2x-x^2) all in the numerator

[tex]
\int{{1-x}{sqrt{2x-x^2}}dx
[/tex]

Hi zooboodoo! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
zooboodoo said:
… (1/2) Integral of (u)^.5 du < i wasn't sure if I went wrong here, Since i had (1-x) in the original equation and my du=2(1-x) can i put du in my substitution as long as I put (1/2) to balance the equation?

using this I got (2x-x^2)^(3/2)/(6) + C which was marked wrong. any insight would be appreciated

Yes, you've done everything perfectly, except you got the factor, 6, wrong at the end …

differentiate what you have (using the chain rule), and you'll see. :smile:

wah it was supposed to be /3 wasn't it :-x so frustraating

zooboodoo said:
… so frustraating

yeah … it's so easy to make a mistake like that! :frown:

always check any integration problem by differentiating your answer, and making sure you get back to where you started! :wink:

1. What is U-substitution and why is it important?

U-substitution is a mathematical technique used to simplify and solve integrals. It involves substituting a new variable, u, in place of a more complex expression within the integral. This method is important because it allows us to solve integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve using other techniques.

2. How do I know when to use U-substitution?

U-substitution is most useful when the integrand (the expression being integrated) contains a function and its derivative. Additionally, if the integral involves a composition of functions, it is a good indication that U-substitution may be needed.

3. Can U-substitution be used for all types of integrals?

No, U-substitution is not applicable to all types of integrals. It is most commonly used for indefinite integrals, but can also be used for definite integrals as long as the limits of integration are appropriately adjusted.

4. What are the steps for using U-substitution?

The steps for using U-substitution are as follows:

1. Identify the appropriate u substitution by looking for a function and its derivative or a composition of functions.
  2. Substitute u in place of the identified expression.
  3. Calculate du (the derivative of u) and substitute it for any remaining x or dx terms in the integral.
  4. Simplify the integral using basic algebra.
  5. Integrate the simplified integral with respect to u.
  6. Substitute back in the original variable (x) and simplify the final solution.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using U-substitution?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to watch out for when using U-substitution:

• Forgetting to substitute the limits of integration when using U-substitution for definite integrals.
  • Confusing the derivative of u (du) with the derivative of the original variable (dx).
  • Not simplifying the integral after substituting u and du, leading to an incorrect solution.