1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by partial fractions- a quadratic

1. May 12, 2009 #1

TG3

The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Integrate: (x-1) / (X^2 - 4x +5)

The attempt at a solution

Normally I would try to factor this into something like (x-1) (x+3) (That's an example completely unrelated to this problem.)
    However, as no easy factors quickly occurred to me I did a run through of the quadratic equation, and got 4 +or- (16- 4x1x5)^.5 / 2 = 4 + (-4)^.5 / 2

At my basic level of Calculus, imaginary numbers are taboo, so I want to avoid the square root of a negative number.

Am I missing an obvious factoring, am I performing the quadratic wrong (that would be embarrassing) or should I try another technique? And if another technique.... what is it?

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

well if x^2 - 4x +5=0 has no real roots, then you need to express the partial fraction in the form (ax+b)/(Ax^2+Bx+C)

4. May 12, 2009 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The technique you are missing is to complete the square in the denominator, x^2-4x+5=(x-2)^2+1. Substitute u=x-2. Can you see how to go from there?

5. May 12, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Quoi? That's the same form as the original integrand!?? It's no partial fraction at all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook