Integration by partial fractions- a quadratic

In summary, the conversation discusses how to integrate the expression (x-1) / (x^2 - 4x + 5) and the approach to take if the quadratic equation does not have real roots. The technique of completing the square in the denominator is suggested.
TG3
Homework Statement

Integrate: (x-1) / (X^2 - 4x +5)

The attempt at a solution

Normally I would try to factor this into something like (x-1) (x+3) (That's an example completely unrelated to this problem.)
However, as no easy factors quickly occurred to me I did a run through of the quadratic equation, and got 4 +or- (16- 4x1x5)^.5 / 2 = 4 + (-4)^.5 / 2

At my basic level of Calculus, imaginary numbers are taboo, so I want to avoid the square root of a negative number.

Am I missing an obvious factoring, am I performing the quadratic wrong (that would be embarrassing) or should I try another technique? And if another technique... what is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
well if x^2 - 4x +5=0 has no real roots, then you need to express the partial fraction in the form (ax+b)/(Ax^2+Bx+C)

The technique you are missing is to complete the square in the denominator, x^2-4x+5=(x-2)^2+1. Substitute u=x-2. Can you see how to go from there?

rock.freak667 said:
well if x^2 - 4x +5=0 has no real roots, then you need to express the partial fraction in the form (ax+b)/(Ax^2+Bx+C)

Quoi? That's the same form as the original integrand!?? It's no partial fraction at all.

1. What is integration by partial fractions?

Integration by partial fractions is a method used in calculus to integrate a rational function, which is a fraction where both the numerator and denominator are polynomials. This method breaks down the fraction into simpler fractions, making it easier to integrate.

2. Why is integration by partial fractions useful?

This method is useful because it allows us to solve integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve. By breaking down a complex fraction into simpler ones, we can use basic integration techniques to find the integral.

3. How do you determine the partial fractions of a quadratic?

The partial fractions of a quadratic can be determined by first factoring the quadratic expression in the denominator. Then, the numerator of each partial fraction is determined by using the coefficients of the factored terms and solving a system of equations.

4. When should you use integration by partial fractions?

Integration by partial fractions is most commonly used when integrating rational functions with quadratic or higher degree polynomials in the denominator. It is also useful when the original integral cannot be solved by other techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

5. Are there any limitations to using integration by partial fractions?

One limitation of this method is that it only works for rational functions, meaning that the numerator and denominator must be polynomials. It also may not work for certain types of fractions, such as those with repeated or complex roots in the denominator.