Integration by Parts of <C> i just cannot do

In summary, the conversation is about the step by step integration by parts for a certain integral in <C>. The person asking the question needs to be able to do this for their final exam and has been struggling for two days. The correct method involves using the value of the integral and plugging it into an expression, resulting in the answer being 1/2 alpha squared.
Rachael_Victoria
Can anyone outline, and this is a rather large request, the step by step integration by parts for <C>? This is not a homework question but more something i need to be able to do on tuesday for my final, and have been trying to do for two days.

Attachments

• C average.doc
    16 KB · Views: 211
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is incorrect.

Here's how it's done.

Knowing this integral's value

[tex] I'_{1}(\alpha)=:\int_{0}^{+\infty} C e^{-\alpha C^{2}} \ dC =\frac{1}{2\alpha} [/tex] (1)

,one sees immediately that

[tex] I'_{3}(\alpha)=:\int_{0}^{+\infty} C^{3} e^{-\alpha C^{2}} \ dC=-\frac{d}{d\alpha}I'_{1}=\frac{1}{2\alpha^{2}} [/tex] (2)

and now plug in (2) the expression for '\alpha'.

Daniel.

Thank you, and you're right, i forgot to type the pi in the denominator for the answer.

1. What is Integration by Parts?

Integration by Parts is a mathematical method used to solve integrals that involve products of functions. It is based on the product rule for derivatives and allows us to transform a difficult integral into a simpler one.

2. How do you know when to use Integration by Parts?

You should use Integration by Parts when the integral involves a product of functions, and it is not possible to simplify it using other techniques such as substitution or trigonometric identities.

3. What is the formula for Integration by Parts?

The formula for Integration by Parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are functions of x and du and dv are their respective derivatives with respect to x.

4. What is the process of Integration by Parts?

The process of Integration by Parts involves choosing u and dv, finding du and v, applying the formula ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, and then simplifying the resulting integral.

5. What are some tips for solving Integration by Parts problems?

Some tips for solving Integration by Parts problems include choosing u and dv carefully, trying different approaches if the first one does not work, and being careful with signs and constants when simplifying the resulting integral.