What is the Integration by Parts Method for Solving Integrals?

In summary, the problem requires using integration by parts on the given integral. A possible approach is to choose u = x^2, which leaves dv = xdx/sqrt(1-x^2). This can be integrated using an ordinary substitution, leading to the final solution of x^3arcsin(x) - 3x^2arcsin(x) + C.

Homework Statement

[tex]\int\frac{x^3}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx[/tex]

I have to use integration by parts on the above integral.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]u=x^3[/tex]
[tex]du=3x^2dx[/tex]

[tex]dv=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx[/tex]
[tex]v=arcsin (x)[/tex]

[tex]=x^3arcsin (x)-3\int\ x^2arcsin (x)dx[/tex]

[tex]u=arcsin (x)[/tex]
[tex]du=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx[/tex]

[tex]dv=x^2dx[/tex]
[tex]v=\frac{1}{3}x^3[/tex]

[tex]\int\frac{x^3}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx[/tex]=[tex]=x^3arcsin (x)-3[x^2 arcsin(x)-\frac{1}{3} \int\ \frac{x^3}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx[/tex]

[tex]\int\frac{x^3}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx[/tex][tex]=x^3arcsin (x)-3x^2 arcsin(x) + \int\ \frac{x^3}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx[/tex]

Here I was hoping I could move the integral over but, given the signs, that isn't going to work. Any tips on what course I should take instead?

Physics news on Phys.org
That isn't going to work because your 2nd application of by parts essentially undoes your first application. Can you think of choosing u and v in another way?

Choosing u = x2 works for integration by parts. This leaves you with a somewhat complicated dv, but one that you can integrate to get v, using an ordinary substitution.

So setting [tex]u=x^2[/tex] leaves you with [tex]dv=arcsin(x)dx[/tex]. I can see what v would equal by looking at a table of integrals, but I have no idea how I would go about integrating [tex]arcsin(x)[/tex] on my own. I was thinking maybe using Trig. Substitution but I wouldn't really know how to go about it.

No, u = x2, and dv = xdx/sqrt(1 - x2). I'm talking about starting from the original problem.

Sorry, I made a mistake.:(

Last edited:
Alright I got it, thanks for your help.

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method used to solve integrals where the integrand is the product of two functions. It involves rewriting the integral in a different form that is easier to solve.

2. When should I use integration by parts?

You should use integration by parts when the integral contains a product of two functions, and other methods such as substitution or partial fractions are not applicable.

3. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are the two functions in the integral, and du and dv are their respective differentials.

4. How do I choose which function to use as u and which to use as dv?

When choosing which function to use as u and which to use as dv, it is helpful to remember the acronym "LIATE", which stands for logarithmic, inverse trigonometric, algebraic, trigonometric, and exponential. The function that comes first in this list should be chosen as u.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts are forgetting to differentiate u and integrate dv, using the wrong function as u, and making errors when integrating or differentiating. It is important to double check your work and be careful with algebraic manipulations.