1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by Parts problem

1. Feb 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\int\frac{x^3}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx[/tex]

I have to use integration by parts on the above integral.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]u=x^3[/tex]
    [tex]du=3x^2dx[/tex]

[tex]dv=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx[/tex]
    [tex]v=arcsin (x)[/tex]

[tex]=x^3arcsin (x)-3\int\ x^2arcsin (x)dx[/tex]

[tex]u=arcsin (x)[/tex]
    [tex]du=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx[/tex]

[tex]dv=x^2dx[/tex]
    [tex]v=\frac{1}{3}x^3[/tex]

[tex]\int\frac{x^3}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx[/tex]=[tex]=x^3arcsin (x)-3[x^2 arcsin(x)-\frac{1}{3} \int\ \frac{x^3}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx[/tex]

[tex]\int\frac{x^3}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx[/tex][tex]=x^3arcsin (x)-3x^2 arcsin(x) + \int\ \frac{x^3}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx[/tex]

Here I was hoping I could move the integral over but, given the signs, that isn't going to work. Any tips on what course I should take instead?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2010 #2
    That isn't going to work because your 2nd application of by parts essentially undoes your first application. Can you think of choosing u and v in another way?

4. Feb 7, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Choosing u = x2 works for integration by parts. This leaves you with a somewhat complicated dv, but one that you can integrate to get v, using an ordinary substitution.

5. Feb 8, 2010 #4
    So setting [tex]u=x^2[/tex] leaves you with [tex]dv=arcsin(x)dx[/tex]. I can see what v would equal by looking at a table of integrals, but I have no idea how I would go about integrating [tex]arcsin(x)[/tex] on my own. I was thinking maybe using Trig. Substitution but I wouldn't really know how to go about it.

6. Feb 8, 2010 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, u = x2, and dv = xdx/sqrt(1 - x2). I'm talking about starting from the original problem.

7. Feb 8, 2010 #6
    Sorry, I made a mistake.:(

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  8. Feb 8, 2010 #7
    Alright I got it, thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook