How do I solve INT x sec^2x dx using integration by parts?

In summary, the given equation can be solved by using integration by parts and rearranging the terms. The resulting integral can then be evaluated using the tabular method or by breaking it into simpler components and using u-substitution. The final solution is pi/4 - ln2/2 between pi/4 and 0.
ryan750
show that INT x sec^2x dx = pi/4 - ln2/2 (between pi/4 and 0)

pls help i don't know where to start

i know it is integration by parts - just don't know how i should rearrange it. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know part integration,u'll find the notation quite familiar

[tex] x=u;\sec x dx =dv [/tex]

BTW,it should read

[tex] \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}} x\sec^{2} x \ dx=\frac{\pi}{4}-\frac{\ln 2}{2} [/tex]

Daniel.

Tabular method, so much easier. Enough said.

Tabular method really only helps when you have several ibp steps. In this case, you only have one. Once you integrate sec^2 x, you get tan x. If you're going to integrate tan x manually (vs just looking at the table), it's easiest to break it into

[tex]\int{\sin x \frac{1}{\cos x} dx}[/tex]

and then use u-substitution.

1. What is integration by parts and when should I use it?

Integration by parts is a mathematical method used to solve integrals. It is used when the integrand (the function being integrated) is a product of two functions.

2. How do I choose which function to differentiate and which function to integrate?

When using integration by parts, you must choose one function to differentiate and one function to integrate. This choice is typically based on the acronym "LIATE" which stands for Logarithmic, Inverse Trigonometric, Algebraic, Trigonometric, and Exponential. The function that comes first in this list should be chosen as the function to integrate, while the function that comes last should be chosen as the function to differentiate.

3. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u is the function to be differentiated and dv is the function to be integrated. This formula is also known as the "ILATE" rule.

4. Can integration by parts be used to solve definite integrals?

Yes, integration by parts can be used to solve both indefinite and definite integrals. When solving definite integrals, you will need to substitute the limits of integration into the final result.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts?

One common mistake when using integration by parts is forgetting to apply the chain rule when differentiating a function. It is also important to pay attention to the signs in the formula and make sure they are applied correctly. Additionally, be careful when choosing which function to differentiate and integrate, as a wrong choice can make the problem more difficult to solve.