Integration by Parts: Solving Indefinite Integral (x+3)/(x^2+6x) dx

In summary, the conversation discusses the best method for evaluating an indefinite integral involving (x+3)/(x^2+6x) and suggests using substitution as the preferred method. There is some confusion over which method the person wants to use, but it is agreed that substitution is the most direct approach.
muddyjch

Homework Statement

Evaluate the indefinite integral.

∫(x + 3)/(x^2+6x) dx

Homework Equations

This is an online homework prob. that covers sections integration by parts and substitution in indefinite integrals. it looks to me that it fits into the formula ∫udv=uv-∫vdu if you change the original equation to (x+3)*(x^2+6x)^-1

The Attempt at a Solution

Doing this would give you u=x+3, dv=(x^2+6x)^-1, du=1, v=(-log(x+6)-log(x))/6

the final answer becomes (x+3)((-log(x+6)-log(x))/6)-((-(x+6)log(x+6)+xlog(x)-2x-6)/6)

this however is not correct answer. Am I using the wrong method?

Physics news on Phys.org
muddyjch said:
Am I using the wrong method?

You are missing an easier method. Take the derivative of the denominator and compare it to the expression in the numerator. Do you see an easy relation between the TWO? Now ask, what substitution makes sense?

I think you'd be better served trying substitution.

stevenb said:
You are missing an easier method. Take the derivative of the denominator and compare it to the expression in the numerator. Do you see an easy relation between the TWO? Now ask, what substitution makes sense?

Are you suggesting sub u=x^2+6x, du=2x+6 dx and so 1/2du=x+3 dx and the final answer should be 1/2 log (x^2+6x)? This is not the answer he wants because i believe he wants us to use a different method. Kind of confusing.

muddyjch said:
This is not the answer he wants because i believe he wants us to use a different method. Kind of confusing.

It is confusing. Did he say what method he wants you to use? You mentioned the problem came from an online HW problem directed at int. by parts and substitution. It seems substitution is the preferred and direct method. But, there is usually more than one way to skin a cat.

What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a calculus technique used to solve integrals that involve a product of two functions. It allows us to rewrite the integral in a different form, making it easier to solve.

When is integration by parts used?

Integration by parts is used when we are trying to solve integrals that involve a product of two functions, and the usual integration techniques such as substitution or partial fractions do not work.

How do you perform integration by parts?

To perform integration by parts, we use the formula ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are two functions of x. We choose which function will be u and which will be dv, and then apply the formula to rewrite the integral in a different form.

What is the purpose of integration by parts?

The purpose of integration by parts is to simplify the integration of products of functions. It allows us to solve integrals that would be difficult or impossible to solve using other techniques.

What are some common applications of integration by parts?

Integration by parts has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve mathematical modeling. It is used to solve integrals that arise in the study of motion, heat transfer, and electrical circuits, among others.