Integration by substitution of sqrt cos theta.sin cube theta

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
davie
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



To show that [tex]\int_{0}^ \frac{\pi}{2}\sqrt{cos\theta}sin^3(\theta) d\theta[/tex] = 8/21


The Attempt at a Solution


The above expression was simplified as
[tex]\int_{0}^ \frac{\pi}{2}\sqrt{cos\theta}sin^2(\theta) sin(\theta) d\theta[/tex]
[tex]\int_{0}^ \frac{\pi}{2}\sqrt{cos\theta}(1-cos^2(\theta)) sin\theta d\theta[/tex]
I have tried using integration by substitution method.
Let [tex]cos\theta = t^2[/tex]
or,[tex]sin\theta d\theta = 2tdt[/tex]

also changing the limits, when [tex]\theta = 0[/tex] , t becomes 1
and when [tex]\theta = \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex], t becomes 0

therefore the expression will look like this.
[tex]\int_{1}^ 0 t.(t^4-1)2t.dt[/tex]

Am I going into the right direction or should I use any other method like integration by parts.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Let t = cos θ. See if you can figure it out from there.
 
davie said:

Homework Statement



To show that [tex]\int_{0}^ \frac{\pi}{2}\sqrt{cos\theta}sin^3(\theta) d\theta[/tex] = 8/21

The Attempt at a Solution


The above expression was simplified as
[tex]\int_{0}^ \frac{\pi}{2}\sqrt{cos\theta}sin^2(\theta) sin(\theta) d\theta[/tex]
[tex]\int_{0}^ \frac{\pi}{2}\sqrt{cos\theta}(1-cos^2(\theta)) sin\theta d\theta[/tex]...
Distribute [itex]\sqrt{\cos(\theta)}[/itex] through (1 - cos2(θ)) .

and remember that [itex]\displaystyle \sqrt{x}=x^\frac{1}{2}\,.[/itex]

... and use Ivan92's suggested substitution.
 
davie said:
therefore the expression will look like this.
[tex]\int_{1}^ 0 t(t^4-1)2t dt[/tex]

Am I going into the right direction or should I use any other method like integration by parts.

Why don't you just integrate what you have and find out?
 
Thanks to everyone who responded, especially Harrisonized, you were right.
Guess I was heading into the right path.
[tex]\int_{1}^ 0 t(t^4-1)2t dt[/tex]

--->[tex]2.\frac{t^7}{7}-2.\frac{t^3}{3}[/tex] when integrated.

--->[tex]0-\frac{6-14}{21}[/tex] when variable substituted with the limits.