Integration: Can't understand when to use Power rule.

In summary, the power rule is a fundamental form that can be used to solve problems involving integrals. It is often one of the things you have learned and have ready to use in other problems.
christian0710

Homework Statement

Hi I have a really hard time understanding when and how to use the Power rule when integratingMy book states that if u is a function of x, then the power rule is given by:

∫urdu = (ur+1)/(r+1)+c

First: I do understand that if

u
=2x
Then the differential

du=u'(x)dx =2

So ∫u^2*du = ƒ2*(2x)^2 = 2*[(2x)3/3]

Homework Equations

What I don't understand: it seems that the power rule is only practical when I need to find
the integral of a function ur multiplied by it's differential (which i can rarely find in any of the problems, so i don't understand why the power rule is important )

EXAMPLE
What If I'm given a function f with the equation f(x)= (1/x+x)^2 and i need to find the integral of it using the power rule?
I could define u=(1/x+x)
and I do have u^2=(1/x+x)^2 but there is no differential du = d(1/x+x))dx multiplied to the function, , so Is it true that The only way Can integrate this function is by first multiplying (1/x+x)*(1/x+x) and then integrating the individual terms, or is there another way, perhaps using the power rule?

So to me it seems like I can't use ∫u^2du =[(u)3/3] beause that would be the same as ∫(1/x+x)^2 d(1/x+x)^2) and that's not what I'm suppose to integrate.

So when is the power rule usefull? Am I interpreting this wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
christian0710 said:
My book states that if u is a function of x, then the power rule is given by:
∫urdu = (ur+1)/(r+1)+c

Note that this equation is true whether or not ##u## is a function of ##x##. This is important because it is one of the fundamental forms. The reason you don't see it a lot in your problem sets is because it is supposed to be one of the things you have learned and have ready to use in other problems.

You then start in on another issue, change of variables. If you have ##u(x) = 1/x + x## then you have lots of useful things to do there. But as you say, you have to do the change of variables correctly. You have to get from ##du## to ##\partial u / \partial x## ##dx## and use that.

So you have to do ##\int (1/x + x)^2 dx##? What do you get if you multiply out the bracket? And can you then perform that integral?

DEvens said:
Note that this equation is true whether or not ##u## is a function of ##x##. This is important because it is one of the fundamental forms. The reason you don't see it a lot in your problem sets is because it is supposed to be one of the things you have learned and have ready to use in other problems.

You then start in on another issue, change of variables. If you have ##u(x) = 1/x + x## then you have lots of useful things to do there. But as you say, you have to do the change of variables correctly. You have to get from ##du## to ##\partial u / \partial x## ##dx## and use that.

So you have to do ##\int (1/x + x)^2 dx##? What do you get if you multiply out the bracket? And can you then perform that integral?
Hi thank you for reply: What do you mean by "Note that this equation is true whether or not u is a function of x?" Do you mean if u was a function of t instead?If i multiply the brackets its easy,

(1/x + x)*(1/x + x) = 1/x^2 +2+x^2 and the integral of this is very easy but I feel as if this should be something that could be easily done by using the power rule, I just can't see how to apply the power rule mathematically correct? I haven't had experience with it yet, the book didn't really cover it yet.

The power rule integral you mention, in terms of u, does not depend on the functional form of u. It could be any variable. This is because it is an integral with respect to du.

So if you change u to x, for example, the form is the same.
## \int u^r du = u^{r+1} / (r+1) + c##
## \int u(x)^r du(x) = u(x)^{r+1} / (r+1) + c##
## \int u(t)^r du(t) = u(t)^{r+1} / (r+1) + c##
## \int u(fred)^r du(fred) = u(fred)^{r+1} / (r+1) + c##
## \int x^r dx = x^{r+1} / (r+1) + c##
## \int y^r dy = y^{r+1} / (r+1) + c##
## \int (fred)^r d(fred) = (fred)^{r+1} / (r+1) + c##

That is, it's a formal expression. It does not care about the functional form of the thing that is getting integrated. (Well, as long as it satisfies the basic requirements for being integrated. It has to be finite and well valued and so on.)

So you have to integrate three terms: 1/x^2, 2, and x^2. Can you apply the power law to these?

Likes christian0710
+Thank you,
I understand what I didn't understand

1) If u is a independant variable f(u) depends on u Then

∫f(u)du =F(u) +C

And in this case du is always equal to 1 because the differential of a variable d(u)=u'du=1*d or d(x)=x'dx=dx

So if f(u)=u^4+u^2

Then the sum rule and power rule can be used: and du is just 1*du.
∫(u^4+u^2)du = ∫u^4du + ∫u^2du and the power rule can be used, and in this case du=1du
2) But if u is a dependant variable such that u=g(x) Then

∫f(u)du = f(g(x))g'(x)dx where du=g'(x)dx

example in f(x)=(1/x + x)^2 where u=1/x+x depends on then i need to do the following

1)
In order to integrate this
∫f(x)dx = ∫(1/x + x)^2dx

I need to turn it into to something something that i can apply the power rule on.
∫u^r*du = ur+1/(r+1)

2) The relationship between the 2 differentials du and dx is
That dx=dx and du=d(1/x+x) = (-1/x^2 + 1.)dx So if i can isolate dx

dx=du/(-1/x^2 + 1.) Then i can substitute it into∫f(x)dx = ∫u^2du/(-1/x^2 + 1.) = [u^3/(3)]*(-1/x^2 + 1.) Is that the correct procedure?

Just at last question regarding notation - The dx, du, dh etc.

if f(x)=(1+5x)^2

then h=(1+5x)
f(x)= h^2

But regarding the function h, when should i write dh vs dx? If i write ∫h^2 I would add dh but if i write ∫(h(x))^2 should i then add dx?
What is the difference between writing ∫(h(x))^2dx and ∫h^2dh?

I always see this ∫udu but i never see ∫u(x)du, is that because it should be ∫u(x)du?

So could i use the power rule on f(x)=(1+5x)^2 like ∫fdf if i could find df? here the power of f would be 1?

Last edited:
christian0710 said:

Homework Statement

Hi I have a really hard time understanding when and how to use the Power rule when integrating

My book states that if u is a function of x, then the power rule is given by:

∫urdu = (ur+1)/(r+1)+c

First: I do understand that if

u
=2x
Then the differential

du=u'(x)dx =2dx
You're missing the differential "dx" with the 2.
So ∫u^2*du = ƒ ∫2*(2x)^2 = 2*[(2x)3/3]

Homework Equations

What I don't understand: it seems that the power rule is only practical when I need to find
the integral of a function ur multiplied by it's differential (which i can rarely find in any of the problems, so i don't understand why the power rule is important )

EXAMPLE
What If I'm given a function f with the equation f(x)= (1/x+x)^2 and i need to find the integral of it using the power rule?
I could define u=(1/x+x)
and I do have u^2=(1/x+x)^2 but there is no differential du = d(1/x+x))dx multiplied to the function, , so Is it true that The only way Can integrate this function is by first multiplying (1/x+x)*(1/x+x) and then integrating the individual terms, or is there another way, perhaps using the power rule?

So to me it seems like I can't use ∫u^2du =[(u)3/3] because that would be the same as ∫(1/x+x)^2 d(1/x+x)^2) and that's not what I'm suppose to integrate.

So when is the power rule useful? Am I interpreting this wrong?
It appears that you're trying to use the method of substitution rather than simply using the power rule. It is true that using the method of substitution may lead to using the power rule if that's what the result gives.

In your example with, ##\displaystyle \ f(x)=\left(\frac{1}{x}+x\right)^2 \,,\ ## it's best to expand ##\displaystyle \ \left(\frac{1}{x}+x\right)^2 \ ## and then use the power rule on the result.

On the other hand,

Notice that ##\displaystyle \ \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{1}{x}+x\right)=\frac{-1}{x^2}+1\ . ##

So, if you had the following integral;
##\displaystyle \ \int\left(\left(\frac{1}{x}+x\right)^2\left(\frac{-1}{x^2}+1\right)\right)dx ##​
Then using your substitution would lead to using the power rule.

Likes christian0710
christian0710 said:
Just at last question regarding notation - The dx, du, dh etc.

if f(x)=(1+5x)^2

then h=(1+5x)
f(x)= h^2
No.
f(h) = h2
christian0710 said:
But regarding the function h, when should i write dh vs dx? If i write ∫h^2 I would add dh but if i write ∫(h(x))^2 should i then add dx?
What is the difference between writing ∫(h(x))^2dx and ∫h^2dh?
The dh or dx or whatever tells you what the variable of integration is. Without know what h(x) is, I can't evaluate ##\int h^2(x) dx##, but I can evaluate ##\int h^2 dh##, which is ##(1/3)h^3 + C##.
christian0710 said:
I always see this ∫udu but i never see ∫u(x)du, is that because it should be ∫u(x)du?

So could i use the power rule on f(x)=(1+5x)^2 like ∫fdf if i could find df? here the power of f would be 1?

Likes christian0710
Mark44 said:
No.
f(h) = h2The dh or dx or whatever tells you what the variable of integration is. Without know what h(x) is, I can't evaluate ##\int h^2(x) dx##, but I can evaluate ##\int h^2 dh##, which is ##(1/3)h^3 + C##.

Thank you so much!
So what you are saying is if i don't know what h(x) is i can't integrate it with repsect to x, So if f(x)=(2+5x)^2 then h=2+5x so i can't evaluate ∫h^2(x)dx but I can evaluate ∫h^2dh . Why is it we can't evaluate ∫h^2(x)dx ? Is it impossible or is it just because it's really hard?

christian0710 said:
Thank you so much!
So what you are saying is if i don't know what h(x) is i can't integrate it with repsect to x, So if f(x)=(2+5x)^2 then h=2+5x so i can't evaluate ∫h^2(x)dx but I can evaluate ∫h^2dh . Why is it we can't evaluate ∫h^2(x)dx ? Is it impossible or is it just because it's really hard?
You can't evaluate ##\int h^2 dx## unless you can write h as a function of x.

##\int h^2 dx = \int (2 + 5x)^2 dx##
The latter can be evaluated either by expanding (2 + 5x)2 and integrating the three terms, or by using a substitution u = 2 + 5x, with du = 5dx.

Likes christian0710

Related to Integration: Can't understand when to use Power rule.

1. What is the power rule in integration?

The power rule is a method for finding the indefinite integral of a polynomial function. It states that for a term of the form ax^n, the indefinite integral is (a/(n+1))x^(n+1) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. When should I use the power rule in integration?

The power rule should be used when you are trying to find the indefinite integral of a polynomial function. It is also useful when the function has a form similar to ax^n, such as sin(x^n) or cos(x^n).

3. How do I apply the power rule in integration?

To apply the power rule, you first rewrite the function in the form ax^n. Then, you use the power rule formula to find the indefinite integral. Don't forget to add the constant of integration at the end!

4. Can the power rule be used for all functions?

No, the power rule can only be used for polynomial functions. Other types of functions, such as exponential or trigonometric functions, require different methods for integration.

5. How can I check if I've used the power rule correctly?

You can check if you have used the power rule correctly by taking the derivative of the indefinite integral you found. If the derivative is equal to the original function, then you have used the power rule correctly.