Integration function*sqrt function

In summary, the integration of the function f(x) = x*√x is ∫xf(x)dx = 2/5x^(5/2) + C. The integration of the function g(x) = √x + 2√x is different from the integration of √x, with g(x) integrating to 2/3x^(3/2) + 2x^(3/2) + C and √x integrating to 2/3x^(3/2) + C. To solve the integration of the function h(x) = x*√(1-x^2), the substitution method can be used, yielding -1/3(1-x^
Emilyd

Homework Statement

I have a long integration, for finding the flux integral. One of the variables, when multiplied out turned into a function multiplied by a sqrt. I can integrate the rest of the question, just not this bit. The integrals are both between 0 and 3

Homework Equations

integral (4st^3)*sqrt(9-(s^2)-(t^2)) dsdt

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried partial differentiation, but got rather lost and ended with a ridiculous answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it possible to use integration by substitution or do I need to use a different method? The answer is: 2/3*pi*(9^(3/2))

Related to Integration function*sqrt function

1. What is the integration of the function f(x) = x*√x?

The integration of the function f(x) = x*√x is ∫xf(x)dx = 2/5x^(5/2) + C.

2. Is the integration of the function g(x) = √x + 2√x the same as the integration of √x?

No, the integration of the function g(x) = √x + 2√x is different from the integration of √x. The integration of g(x) is 2/3x^(3/2) + 2x^(3/2) + C, while the integration of √x is 2/3x^(3/2) + C.

3. How do you solve the integration of the function h(x) = x*√(1-x^2)?

To solve the integration of the function h(x) = x*√(1-x^2), you can use the substitution method. Let u = 1-x^2, du = -2xdx. Then, the integration becomes ∫h(x)dx = -1/2∫√udux = -1/3(1-x^2)^(3/2) + C.

4. Can the integration of a function with a square root be solved without using substitution?

Yes, there are some integration techniques that can be used to solve functions with square roots without using substitution. For example, the substitution method, trigonometric substitution, and integration by parts can be used in certain cases.

5. Is it possible to find the indefinite integral of the function f(x) = x*√(x-1)?

Yes, it is possible to find the indefinite integral of the function f(x) = x*√(x-1). Using the substitution method, let u = x-1, du = dx. Then, the integration becomes ∫f(x)dx = ∫(u+1)√udu = 2/5u^(5/2) + 2/3u^(3/2) + C = 2/5(x-1)^(5/2) + 2/3(x-1)^(3/2) + C.