Integration involving partial fraction

In summary, the user is asking for assistance with checking the answer to a question involving a partial fraction. They provide their attempt at a solution and final answer, but are unsure if their method is correct. They also may not fully understand the order of operations and how to manipulate logarithms. Further clarification and explanation is needed to determine the correct solution.
appplejack

Homework Statement

I want to check the answer to this question.

⌠ 2 x dx / (x+1) (x+2)
⌡ 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For partial fraction I got A= -1 and B = 2

My final answer is -ln 2 + ln4 - ln3 = ln 4/ ln2 * ln 3

Physics news on Phys.org
appplejack said:

Homework Statement

I want to check the answer to this question.

⌠ 2 x dx / (x+1) (x+2)
⌡ 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For partial fraction I got A= -1 and B = 2

There is a more important question at hand. Do you understand the order of operations?

Last edited:
RoshanBBQ said:
There is a more important question at hand. Do you understand the order of operations?

Yes. I just need to check the answer.

appplejack said:
Yes. I just need to check the answer.

Judging by your problem statement, I can't be too sure.

Also, are you sure ln(a) + ln(b) = ln(a)ln(b)?

appplejack said:

This line doesn't make any sense to me. :/ Regardless, the answer is incorrect on the left hand side. Show us what integral you got when you split the partial fraction up (A=-1 and B=2 doesn't mean much if we don't know what term they are over). Then show us the anti-differentiated equation. You went wrong somewhere in there. Also, as Roshan has noticed, you don't quite seem to know how to manipulate logs.

These operations are valid: [itex]log(a)+log(b)=log(a*b); \quad log(a)-log(b)= \displaystyle log\left(\frac{a}{b}\right)[/itex].

Parentheses are VERY important when typing math online. You first statement when read at face value says [itex]\displaystyle \int_1^2 \frac{x\ \ dx\
(x+2)}{x+1}[/itex] which is obviously not what you meant.

Related to Integration involving partial fraction

1. What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a method used in integration to express a rational function as a sum of simpler fractions. It is useful when integrating complex rational expressions.

2. How do you decompose a rational function into partial fractions?

To decompose a rational function into partial fractions, the steps are as follows:1. Factor the denominator into linear and irreducible quadratic factors.2. Write each factor as a separate fraction with a unique constant in the numerator.3. Set up a system of equations using the original rational function and the partial fractions.4. Solve for the constants using algebraic manipulation.5. Write the original rational function as a sum of the partial fractions with the constants as coefficients.

3. Why is partial fraction decomposition useful in integration?

Partial fraction decomposition allows for the integration of complex rational expressions by breaking them down into simpler fractions. This makes it easier to find the antiderivative and evaluate the integral.

4. What are the different types of partial fractions?

The two main types of partial fractions are proper and improper fractions. Proper fractions have a numerator with a lower degree than the denominator, while improper fractions have a numerator with a higher degree than the denominator. Improper fractions can be further classified as either repeated, distinct, or complex.

5. Can partial fraction decomposition be used in every integration problem?

No, partial fraction decomposition can only be used for proper rational functions. Improper rational functions can be manipulated and simplified to become proper and then partial fraction decomposition can be applied. If the rational function cannot be decomposed into simpler fractions, other integration techniques must be used.