Integration- is it possible to integrate this?

In summary, the problem is finding the integral of x over ((1+x)1/2-(1+x)1/3)dx using integration by substitution, with a suggested substitution of u=(1+x)1/6. After some attempts, the correct substitution is u=(1+x)1/6, leading to the integral of 6 * ((u9 - u3) / (u - 1)) du. Simplifying this leads to the final answer of (2/3 * u8) + (27/4 * u7) + (216/7 * u6) + 84u5 + (756/5 * u4) + 189u3 + 166u2 +
Zoe-b

Homework Statement

Find the integral of x over ((1+x)1/2-(1+x)1/3) dx

Homework Equations

integration by substitution.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried the substitution u = (1+x)5/6 but not really sure if this makes it any better!
du/dx = 5/6 * (1+x)-1/6

6/5 * du = (1+x)-1/6 dx

(1+x) = u6/5

x= u6/5 - 1

Take a factor of (1+x)1/6 of the denominator and rewrite to give:

6/5 * integral of (u6/5 - 1)/(u2/5 - u1/5) du

Is is possible to integrate this? Or do I need a completely different substitution?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Zoe-b said:
I have tried the substitution u = (1+x)5/6 but not really sure if this makes it any better!
What made you pick that??

Try the much simpler u=(1+x)1/6 (alternatively, u6=1+x).

Hmmn I was trying to get something so that the integral du/dx was a factor. I thought I'd already tried and failed with (1+x)^1/6 but will try again! Thanks.

Ok soo here goes:
u = (1+x)1/6

du/dx = 1/6 * (1+x)-5/6

6du = (1+x)-5/6 dx

u6 = (1+x)

x = u6 -1

So integral of x over (1+x)-5/6 * ((1+x)-1/3 - (1+x)-1/2)dx

Subst for u to give:
6 * integral of (u6 - 1) / (u-2 - u-3) du

= 6 * integral of (u9 - u3) / (u - 1) du

From here I made a second substitution of z = u - 1 (du = dz) which gives
6 * integral of ((z+1)9 - (z+1)3) / z dz

Using binomial theorem I get:

(2/3 * z9) + (27/4 * z8) + (216/7 * z7) + 84z6 + (756/5 * z5) + 189z4 + 166z3 + 99z2 + 36z

where z = ((1+x)1/6 -1)

Not exactly the neatest answer =/

Rather than making another substitution, why don't you just simplify (u9-u3)/(u-1)?

Hint: What is (u6-1)/(u-1)?

Yep I'm being very slow! Thanks should be able to finish now. Thought that answer looked ridiculously long.

Related to Integration- is it possible to integrate this?

1. Can different systems be integrated together?

Yes, it is possible to integrate different systems together. This process involves connecting and merging the data and functionalities of two or more systems to work together seamlessly.

2. Is it possible to integrate legacy systems with new technologies?

Yes, it is possible to integrate legacy systems with new technologies. Integration can be achieved through various methods such as using APIs, web services, or middleware.

3. What are the benefits of system integration?

System integration offers several benefits such as improved efficiency, increased data accuracy, cost savings, and enhanced decision-making capabilities by providing a unified view of data from different systems.

4. How long does it take to integrate systems?

The time it takes to integrate systems can vary depending on the complexity of the systems and the chosen integration method. Simple integrations can take a few days, while more complex ones can take several weeks or months.

5. What are some common challenges in system integration?

Some common challenges in system integration include data compatibility issues, security concerns, lack of proper documentation, and resistance to change from users. It is important to have a well-planned integration strategy to address these challenges.