Integration of Bessel function

In summary, the conversation is about integrating \int(J0(r))2rdr between 0<r<a to calculate the energy of a nondiffracting beam inside a radius of a. The person is having trouble finding the integral and mentions a possible source in the book Ballanis:antenna theory. Mathematica suggests that the integral is equal to \frac{a^2}{2}(J_0(a)^2+J_1(a)^2).
johnsmi

Homework Statement

Hi, I need to integrate this:
[tex]\int[/tex](J0(r))2rdr between 0<r<a
It is for calculating the energy of a nondiffracting beam inside a radius of a. (the r is because of the jacobian in polar coordinates)

The Attempt at a Solution

I saw somewhere that said the integral was a known one and it didn't even bother to write it down but couldn't find it anywhere else
I think it might be found also in Ballanis:antenna theory but I can't find the book

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematica says that:
[tex]\int^a_0J_0(r)^2 rdr = \frac{a^2}{2}(J_0(a)^2+J_1(a)^2)[/tex]

What is a Bessel function?

A Bessel function is a special mathematical function that arises in many areas of physics and engineering, particularly in the study of wave phenomena such as sound and light.

What is the importance of integrating Bessel functions?

Integrating Bessel functions allows us to solve a wide range of problems in physics and engineering, including determining the behavior of waves in different mediums, analyzing the vibrations of physical systems, and understanding the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics.

What are the different types of Bessel functions?

There are two main types of Bessel functions: the first kind (Jn) and the second kind (Yn). These are further divided into different orders (n) which determine the specific properties and behavior of the function.

What techniques are used for integrating Bessel functions?

The most common techniques for integrating Bessel functions include contour integration, power series expansion, and numerical methods such as Simpson's rule and Gaussian quadrature.

What are some real-world applications of integrating Bessel functions?

Integrating Bessel functions has a wide range of applications in fields such as acoustics, electromagnetism, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. Some specific examples include designing acoustic filters, analyzing the diffraction of light, and calculating the energy levels of atoms and molecules.