Integration of Rational Functions by Partial Fractions?

In summary, the conversation is about integration of rational functions by partial fractions. The person is struggling with a homework problem and has shown the steps they have done so far. They are unsure of what to do next as they are not familiar with equating coefficients.
black_yurizan
Integration of Rational Functions by Partial Fractions?

Ok I'm working on some homework problems and I don't even know how to do the first one, here is my problems and the steps that I did thus far ( I don't know if I did them right)

5x-13/(x-3)(x-2)= A/x-3 + B/x-2[tex]\rightarrow[/tex] ...5x-13= A(x-3)(x-2)B(x-2)(x-3)[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]... =(A+B)x2+(-5A-5B)x+(6A+6B)

That's how far I got, I don't know what to do next because in the textbook the next thing they do is equate the coefficients which I don't know how to do and other stuff ...please someone help if you know how to

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Well, I'm not entirely sure what you did there, but remember that A+B is the coefficient of x^2, and what's the coefficient of x^2 on the left side of the equation? Then do the same for the other two powers of x.

Char. Limit said:
what's the coefficient of x^2 on the left side of the equation?

Sorry, I forgot to put in the x I overlooked that

1. What is the purpose of integrating rational functions by partial fractions?

Integrating rational functions by partial fractions allows us to break down complex rational functions into simpler components, making it easier to find the antiderivative and evaluate the integral.

2. How do you determine the partial fraction decomposition for a given rational function?

To determine the partial fraction decomposition, we first factor the denominator into linear and irreducible quadratic factors. Then, we set up a system of equations and solve for the unknown coefficients using algebraic manipulations.

3. Are there any restrictions for using partial fractions to integrate rational functions?

Yes, the rational function must have a proper fraction, meaning that the degree of the numerator must be less than the degree of the denominator. Additionally, the denominator must be factorable into linear and irreducible quadratic factors.

4. Can you explain the difference between proper and improper partial fractions?

Proper partial fractions have a degree of the numerator that is less than the degree of the denominator, while improper partial fractions have a degree of the numerator that is greater than or equal to the degree of the denominator. Improper partial fractions can be converted to proper fractions by performing long division first.

5. What are some common strategies for solving integrals using partial fractions?

Some common strategies include setting up a system of equations and solving for the unknown coefficients, using substitution to simplify the integral, and using trigonometric identities to convert the rational function into a form that can be integrated using partial fractions.