Integration of Rational Functions

In summary, the conversation is about finding the partial fraction decomposition of the given function and solving for the values of A, B, and C using a trick of plugging in specific values for x. The final answer is ∫f(x)dx = 3ln|x-2|-ln|x+4|+5ln|x-1| + C.
Biosyn

Homework Statement

∫(7x^2+22x-54)/((x-2)(x+4)(x-1)) dx

Homework Equations

Partial functions

The Attempt at a Solution

∫(7x^2+22x-54)/((x-2)(x+4)(x-1)) dx = ∫(Ax)/(x2+2x-8) + B/(x-1)

= ∫A(x-1)dx + ∫B(x^2+2x-8)dx

Or is it:
= ∫(AX+B)/(x^2-2x-8) dx + ∫ C/(x-1)dx

Have I done the separation of the numerator and denominators right? I'm stuck right about here..I don't know what Bx2 equals to. 7? That doesn't seem to make sense, I must have done something wrong earlier.
Please help, thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Biosyn said:

Homework Statement

∫(7x^2+22x-54)/((x-2)(x+4)(x-1)) dx

Homework Equations

Partial functions

The Attempt at a Solution

∫(7x^2+22x-54)/((x-2)(x+4)(x-1)) dx = ∫(Ax)/(x2+2x-8) + B/(x-1)

= ∫A(x-1)dx + ∫B(x^2+2x-8)dx

Or is it:
= ∫(AX+B)/(x^2-2x-8) dx + ∫ C/(x-1)dx

Have I done the separation of the numerator and denominators right? I'm stuck right about here..I don't know what Bx2 equals to. 7? That doesn't seem to make sense, I must have done something wrong earlier.
Please help, thanks!
Do a complete partial fraction decomposition.

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{7x^2+22x-54}{(x-2)(x+4)(x-1)}=\frac{A}{x-2}+\frac{B}{x+4}+\frac{C}{x-1}\,.[/itex]

SammyS said:
Do a complete partial fraction decomposition.

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{7x^2+22x-54}{(x-2)(x+4)(x-1)}=\frac{A}{x-2}+\frac{B}{x+4}+\frac{C}{x-1}\,.[/itex]

Okay, so I did that.

= ∫ [itex]\frac{A(x+4)(x-1) + B(x-2)(x-1) + C(x-2)(x+4)}{(x-2)(x+4)(x-1)}[/itex]

and this is what I get after multiplying everything out. Three equations. Now I just need to solve for A,B,C...

-4A+B-8C=-54

3A-3B+2C=22

A+B+C =7

Last edited:
Biosyn said:
Okay, so I did that.

= ∫ [itex]\frac{A(x+4)(x-1) + B(x-2)(x-1) + C(x-2)(x+4)}{(x-2)(x+4)(x-1)}[/itex]  equals What?

and this is what I get after multiplying everything out. Three equations. Now I just need to solve for A,B,C...

-4A+B-8C=-54

3A-3B+2C=22

A+B+C =7
Do you know how to do partial fraction decomposition?

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{7x^2+22x-54}{(x-2)(x+4)(x-1)}=\frac{A(x+4)(x-1) + B(x-2)(x-1) + C(x-2)(x+4)}{(x-2)(x+4)(x-1)} [/itex]

So that   [itex]\displaystyle 7x^2+22x-54=A(x+4)(x-1) + B(x-2)(x-1) + C(x-2)(x+4)\,. [/itex]

There's a neat trick to finishing this.

Let x=2 to find A.

Let x=-4 to find B.

Let x=1 to find C.

∫ [itex]\frac{A(x+4)(x-1) + B(x-2)(x-1) + C(x-2)(x+4)}{(x-2)(x+4)(x-1)}[/itex] = ∫ [itex]\frac{7x^2+22x-54}{(x-2)(x+4)(x-1)}[/itex]dx ?The values for X are the zeroes, could you explain to me how they are used to find A,B,C? (the trick you typed above)

Last edited:
See post #5.

SammyS said:
See post #5.
[STRIKE]Okay,

I multiplied everything out: Ax^2+3AX-4A+Bx^2-3Bx+2B+Cx^2+2Cx-8C

and ...I'm back to what I did in post #3 solving for A,B,C ?

Sorry, it's getting late and I'm getting a little frustrated, maybe I'm not thinking.[/STRIKE]nevermind, I got it now :)

A = 3
B = -1
C = 5

So the answer should be ∫f(x)dx = 3ln|x-2|-ln|x+4|+5ln|x-1| + C

I made a calculation error in post #3.

Thanks for your help Sammy! :)

Last edited:

What is integration of rational functions?

Integration of rational functions is a mathematical process of finding the antiderivative or integral of a rational function, which is a function expressed as a ratio of two polynomials.

Why is integration of rational functions important?

Integration of rational functions is important because it allows us to solve real-world problems involving rates of change, such as finding the area under a curve or the volume of a three-dimensional shape. It also helps us understand the behavior of functions and their derivatives.

How do you integrate rational functions?

To integrate a rational function, we first use algebraic techniques to rewrite the function as a sum of simpler fractions. Then, we use integration rules and techniques such as u-substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions to find the antiderivative.

What are some common mistakes when integrating rational functions?

Some common mistakes when integrating rational functions include forgetting to use the chain rule, making incorrect substitutions, and not properly simplifying the integrand. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double-check your work to avoid these errors.

Can all rational functions be integrated?

Yes, all rational functions can be integrated using the techniques mentioned above. However, some integrals may be more complex and require more advanced integration techniques. In some cases, the integral may not have a closed-form solution and can only be approximated.