Integration over delta distribution

In summary, for the given conversations, the first problem involves calculating the integral ∫δ( x² cos x) dx with x ranging from -∞ to +∞. The approach to solving this problem involves finding the roots of the cosine function and evaluating the integral at those points. However, there is a convergence issue at x=0 that needs to be taken into account. For the second problem, converting the integral over the unit circle with C= (1,1) into a one-dimensional integral using polar coordinates is a possible approach. However, there is not enough information provided to determine the correct solution.
lavidaenrosa

Homework Statement

a) ∫δ( x² cos x) dx with x from -∞ to +∞
b) Integral over C, with C = unit circle
C δ(α-α0) a ds
a
=(1,1)

Homework Equations

a) δ(g(x)) =∑δ(x-xi)/|g'(xi)|
b)?

The Attempt at a Solution

a) g(x) = x² cosx
g'(x) = 2x cos x - x² sin x
xi = 0 and (2n+1)π/2
g'(0)=0 then what is 1/|g'(0)|??

Physics news on Phys.org
For (a), why are you calculating ##g'(x)##? The integral is simply equal to 1 if ##x^2\cos x## takes the value zero for any ##x\in(-\infty,\infty)## and 0 otherwise.

The same applies to (b). Assuming you are using ##\alpha## to represent the angle in a polar representation of the number plane (##\theta## would be more conventional, by the way), is there any value of ##\alpha## in ##[0,2\pi)## that is equal to ##\alpha_0##?

Thx, but I don't get it! Is there a way to show this? Or at least an explanation? I know the relation ∫δ(x-a) dx= θ(x-a) but I've never seen

∫δ(g(x)-a) dx =
  • 0 g(x) ≠a
  • 1 g(x)=a

lavidaenrosa said:
Thx, but I don't get it! Is there a way to show this? Or at least an explanation? I know the relation ∫δ(x-a) dx= θ(x-a) but I've never seen

∫δ(g(x)-a) dx =
  • 0 g(x) ≠a
  • 1 g(x)=a

There is a serious issue with (a), but first, let's simplify it. Around the positive zero ##x_n = (2n+1)\pi/2## of ##f(x) = x^2 \cos(x)## we have ##f(x) \approx f'(x_n) (x-x_n)##, so integration of ##\delta(f(x))## near there gives just ##1/f'(x_n)##, as you said. However, since f(x) is even, the corresponding term for ##x = -x_n## has ##f'(-x_n) = -f'(x_n)##, so the contributions from ##x = x_n## and ##x = -x_n## cancel.

So, all that matters is the value of ##\int_{-a}^a \delta(f(x)) \, dx## for small ##a > 0##, and this is where we run into trouble. For small ##|x|##, ##f(x)## looks like just plain ##x^2##, but the point is that its graph does not cross the x-axis; it grazes the x-axis from above, so one is essentially looking at ##2\int_0^a \delta(f(x)) \, dx##. This integrates only half of the ##\delta## function, so can either be regarded as non-existent, or can be looked at through a limiting procedure that gives ##\delta(\cdot)## in the limit. If you regard ##\delta(u)## as a limit of even functions ##f_n(u)##, then your "half-##\delta##" integral would be one half of the usual. However, one can equally well regard ##\delta(u)## as a limit of unsymmetrical (not even) functions ##f_n(u)##, in which case the "half-##\delta##" integral can be a fraction other than 1/2---basically, you can make it equal anything from 0 to 1 if you want to.

However, let's not overlook the fact that f(0) = 0 in your case.

ok, thx, and how do I take into account that f(0)=0?

And b)? I have still no clue

andrewkirk said:
For (a), why are you calculating ##g'(x)##? The integral is simply equal to 1 if ##x^2\cos x## takes the value zero for any ##x\in(-\infty,\infty)## and 0 otherwise.
This is not true, and I don't see how you got that.Another issue with (a) are the zeros of the cosine. We get a sum over 1/n which does not converge. You can find limits where the contributions cancel in a nice way, but that is an arbitrary limit procedure, and different ways would lead to different results

lavidaenrosa said:
You can convert it to a one-dimensional integral and solve that.
(b) doesn't have the issues (a) has.

mfb said:
This is not true, and I don't see how you got that.Another issue with (a) are the zeros of the cosine. We get a sum over 1/n which does not converge. You can find limits where the contributions cancel in a nice way, but that is an arbitrary limit procedure, and different ways would lead to different results

You can convert it to a one-dimensional integral and solve that.
(b) doesn't have the issues (a) has.

In (a) we get a convergent series. At ##x = x_n = (2n+1)\pi/2## we get the contribution ##1/f'(x_n)##, where ##f(x) = x^2 \cos(x)##. Since ##f'(x_n) = -x_n^2 \sin(x_n) + 2 x_n \cos(x_n) = (-1)^n (\pi /2)^2 (2n+1)^2## we get the convergent series ##\sum c(-1)^n/(2n+1)^2##. Then, as I said in #4, the terms from positive ##x_n## are canceled by those at ##-x_n##, so the whole thing comes out as 0 (except, perhaps, for the part from ##x = 0##).

Likes jim mcnamara
Ah right, the sine term contributes, not the cosine. Sorry, my mistake. That just leaves the weird x=0 thing.

lavidaenrosa said:
ok, thx, and how do I take into account that f(0)=0?

For (a): you tell me.

Perhaps I have misunderstood your question. When you write:
lavidaenrosa said:
a) ∫δ( x² cos x) dx with x from -∞ to +∞
do you mean the definite integral
$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty\delta(x^2\cos x)\,dx$$
or are you looking for an indefinite integral?

Andrewkirk: Yes, right, that's the one.
Ray vickson, I get the same series but still have this x=0 problem.
I still don't know what is the correct answer to this cuestion a)

b) I tried to convert it in an one-dimensional integral with polar coord.:
[tex]\int_C \delta (\vec{\alpha_0}-\vec{\alpha}) (1,1) d\vec{s} = \int_0^1 \int_0^{2 \pi}\delta (\vec{\alpha_0}-\vec{\alpha}) d\alpha dr = \int_0^{2 \pi}\delta (\vec{\alpha_0}-\vec{\alpha}) d\alpha [/tex]... and again without knowing if this is correct and how to proceed.

1. What is the delta distribution?

The delta distribution, also known as the Dirac delta function, is a mathematical function that is used to represent a point mass or impulse at a specific point on the real number line. It is often denoted by the symbol δ and has properties such as being zero everywhere except at the point where it is defined, and integrating to 1 over its entire domain.

2. How is integration over delta distribution different from regular integration?

Integration over delta distribution is a type of generalized integration that extends the concept of integration from continuous functions to distributions. It involves using the properties of the delta distribution, such as its point mass and zero values, to evaluate integrals involving functions that are not defined at certain points or have infinite values at certain points.

3. What is the purpose of integrating over delta distribution?

The purpose of integrating over delta distribution is to evaluate integrals involving functions that are not well-behaved or have singularities at certain points. It allows us to extend the concept of integration to a wider class of functions and can be useful in solving problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

4. Can the delta distribution be integrated over any interval?

The delta distribution can be integrated over any interval as long as the interval includes the point where the delta function is defined. However, the value of the integral will depend on the properties of the function being integrated and the interval over which it is being integrated.

5. Are there any limitations to integrating over delta distribution?

One limitation of integrating over delta distribution is that it cannot be used to evaluate integrals involving functions that are not continuous or have discontinuities at the point where the delta function is defined. Additionally, the value of the integral may not exist if the function being integrated grows too rapidly near the point where the delta function is defined.