1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration over delta distribution

1. Jan 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a) ∫δ( x² cos x) dx with x from -∞ to +∞
    b) Integral over C, with C = unit circle
    C δ(α-α0) a ds
    a
    =(1,1)

2. Relevant equations
    a) δ(g(x)) =∑δ(x-xi)/|g'(xi)|
    b)?
    3. The attempt at a solution
    a) g(x) = x² cosx
    g'(x) = 2x cos x - x² sin x
    xi = 0 and (2n+1)π/2
    g'(0)=0 then what is 1/|g'(0)|??

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For (a), why are you calculating ##g'(x)##? The integral is simply equal to 1 if ##x^2\cos x## takes the value zero for any ##x\in(-\infty,\infty)## and 0 otherwise.

The same applies to (b). Assuming you are using ##\alpha## to represent the angle in a polar representation of the number plane (##\theta## would be more conventional, by the way), is there any value of ##\alpha## in ##[0,2\pi)## that is equal to ##\alpha_0##?

4. Jan 28, 2016 #3
    Thx, but I don't get it!! Is there a way to show this? Or at least an explanation? I know the relation ∫δ(x-a) dx= θ(x-a) but I've never seen

∫δ(g(x)-a) dx =
    • 0 g(x) ≠a
    • 1 g(x)=a

5. Jan 28, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is a serious issue with (a), but first, let's simplify it. Around the positive zero ##x_n = (2n+1)\pi/2## of ##f(x) = x^2 \cos(x)## we have ##f(x) \approx f'(x_n) (x-x_n)##, so integration of ##\delta(f(x))## near there gives just ##1/f'(x_n)##, as you said. However, since f(x) is even, the corresponding term for ##x = -x_n## has ##f'(-x_n) = -f'(x_n)##, so the contributions from ##x = x_n## and ##x = -x_n## cancel.

So, all that matters is the value of ##\int_{-a}^a \delta(f(x)) \, dx## for small ##a > 0##, and this is where we run into trouble. For small ##|x|##, ##f(x)## looks like just plain ##x^2##, but the point is that its graph does not cross the x-axis; it grazes the x-axis from above, so one is essentially looking at ##2\int_0^a \delta(f(x)) \, dx##. This integrates only half of the ##\delta## function, so can either be regarded as non-existent, or can be looked at through a limiting procedure that gives ##\delta(\cdot)## in the limit. If you regard ##\delta(u)## as a limit of even functions ##f_n(u)##, then your "half-##\delta##" integral would be one half of the usual. However, one can equally well regard ##\delta(u)## as a limit of unsymmetrical (not even) functions ##f_n(u)##, in which case the "half-##\delta##" integral can be a fraction other than 1/2---basically, you can make it equal anything from 0 to 1 if you want to.

However, let's not overlook the fact that f(0) = 0 in your case.

6. Jan 28, 2016 #5
    ok, thx, and how do I take into account that f(0)=0?

And b)? I have still no clue

7. Jan 28, 2016 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

This is not true, and I don't see how you got that.

Another issue with (a) are the zeros of the cosine. We get a sum over 1/n which does not converge. You can find limits where the contributions cancel in a nice way, but that is an arbitrary limit procedure, and different ways would lead to different results

You can convert it to a one-dimensional integral and solve that.
    (b) doesn't have the issues (a) has.

8. Jan 28, 2016 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In (a) we get a convergent series. At ##x = x_n = (2n+1)\pi/2## we get the contribution ##1/f'(x_n)##, where ##f(x) = x^2 \cos(x)##. Since ##f'(x_n) = -x_n^2 \sin(x_n) + 2 x_n \cos(x_n) = (-1)^n (\pi /2)^2 (2n+1)^2## we get the convergent series ##\sum c(-1)^n/(2n+1)^2##. Then, as I said in #4, the terms from positive ##x_n## are cancelled by those at ##-x_n##, so the whole thing comes out as 0 (except, perhaps, for the part from ##x = 0##).

9. Jan 28, 2016 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Ah right, the sine term contributes, not the cosine. Sorry, my mistake. That just leaves the weird x=0 thing.

10. Jan 28, 2016 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For (a): you tell me.

11. Jan 28, 2016 #10

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Perhaps I have misunderstood your question. When you write:
    do you mean the definite integral
    $$\int_{-\infty}^\infty\delta(x^2\cos x)\,dx$$
    or are you looking for an indefinite integral?

12. Feb 2, 2016 #11
    Andrewkirk: Yes, right, that's the one.
    Ray vickson, I get the same series but still have this x=0 problem.
    I still don't know what is the correct answer to this cuestion a)

b) I tried to convert it in an one-dimensional integral with polar coord.:
    [tex]\int_C \delta (\vec{\alpha_0}-\vec{\alpha}) (1,1) d\vec{s} = \int_0^1 \int_0^{2 \pi}\delta (\vec{\alpha_0}-\vec{\alpha}) d\alpha dr = \int_0^{2 \pi}\delta (\vec{\alpha_0}-\vec{\alpha}) d\alpha [/tex]... and again without knowing if this is correct and how to proceed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted