Solving Integration Problem: I = \int_0^\infty e^{-ax} \sin{bx} dx

• Thread starter Logarythmic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve the integral I = \int_0^\infty e^{-ax} \sin{bx} dx using integration by parts and setting the upper limit as t. It is suggested to use multiple substitutions and to write the trig function as a complex exponential to make the integral easier to solve. The conversation also explains how to use integration by parts and why substitutions are necessary for this method.
Logarythmic
Can someone give me a hint on how to solve

[tex]I = \int_0^\infty e^{-ax} \sin{bx} dx[/tex]

?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use integration by parts, and set the upper limit as t. Then let t--> infinity (i.e. improper integral)

Last edited:
But integration by parts will only give me a similar integral to solve...?

you have to use it multiple times, so that you can solve the integral

You can write the trig function as a complex exponential:

[tex]
\sin(bx) = \frac{1}{2i}\left[e^{ibx}-e^{-ibx}\right]\,.
[/tex]

Then you will have two similar integrals to solve, which are straight forward.

jprO: Of course. That will do it.

courtrigad: Partial integration multiple times will give me a loop between [tex]e^{-ax} \sin{bx}[/tex] and [tex]e^{-ax} \cos{bx}[/tex].

Yes, it does:
[tex]I = \int_0^\infty e^{-ax} \sin{bx} dx[/tex]
Let [itex]u= e^{-ax}[/itex], [itex]dv= sin(bx)dx[/itex]
Then [itex]du= -ae^{-ax}dx[/itex], [itex]v= -\frac{1}{b}cos(bx)[/itex]
so the integral becomes
[tex]I= -\frac{1}{b}e^{-ax}cos(bx)\left|_0^\inftjy- \frac{a}{b}\int_0^\inty}e^{-ax}cos(bx)dx[/tex]
Since e-ax goes to 0 as x goes to infinity, while cos(bx) is bounded, that is
[tex]I= \frac{1}{b}- \frac{a}{b}\int_0^\inty}e^{-ax}cos(bx)dx[/tex]
Now let [itex]u= e^{-ax}[/itex], [itex]dv= cos(bx)[/itex]. Again we have [itex]du= -a e^{-ax}dx[/itex], [itex]v= \frac{1}{b}sin(bx)[/tex]
The integral is now:
[tex]I= \frac{1}{b}- \frac{a^2}{b^2}\int_0^\infty e^{-ax}sin(bx)dx[/tex]
But remember that [itex]I= \int_0^\infty e^{-ax}sin(bx)dx[/itex]
so that equation says
[itex]\int_0^\infty e^{-ax}sin(bx)dx= \frac{1}{b}- \frac{a^2}{b^2}\int_0^\infty e^{-ax}sin(bx)dx[/tex]
so
[tex]\left(1+frac{a^2}{b^2}\right)\int_0^\infty e^{-ax}sin(bx)dx= \frac{1}{b}[/tex]
[tex]\int_0^\infty e^{-ax}sin(bx)dx= \frac{b}{a^2+b^2}[/tex]
(Modulo any silly litte errors from working too fast!)

I don't understand why you do the substitutions. Can't you just solve the integral by parts without doing the substitutions?

do you agree that integration by parts if of the form:

[tex] \int udv = uv-\int vdu [/tex]? You need substitutions to do integration by parts.

Last edited:
I see what you mean. I'm just not used to do it your way. Actually, I'm doing it your way. I just don't think about what I'm really doing. ;)

1. What is the purpose of solving integration problems?

Integration problems are used to find the area under a curve, which can have many real-world applications. It also helps in solving equations and understanding the relationship between different variables.

2. How do I solve an integration problem?

To solve an integration problem, you need to follow a set of rules and techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. It is essential to have a good understanding of these techniques and practice regularly to improve your skills.

3. What is the significance of the constant "a" in the integration problem I = \int_0^\infty e^{-ax} \sin{bx} dx?

The constant "a" represents the rate of change of the exponential function e^{-ax}. It can affect the shape and behavior of the curve, which can ultimately impact the value of the integral. Therefore, it is crucial to consider the value of "a" when solving integration problems.

4. Is there a specific method for solving integration problems with trigonometric functions?

Yes, there are specific methods for solving integration problems with trigonometric functions, such as using trigonometric identities or the substitution method. It is essential to have a good understanding of trigonometric functions and their properties to effectively solve these types of integration problems.

5. Can integration problems have multiple solutions?

Yes, integration problems can have multiple solutions, especially when the function being integrated is complex or involves multiple variables. It is essential to check for any potential errors or mistakes in the solution and verify it using different methods to ensure accuracy.