Solving Integration Problem: xln{x}/\sqrt{x^2-1}

In summary, the problem was not solved using integration by parts, and substituting for secΘ was not successful either.
itzela
I have been working on this problem:
[tex] \int xln{x}/\sqrt{x^2-1}} [/tex]
but I haven't been able to come up with a solution.

First, I tried to solve it using integration by parts:
u= [tex] ln{x} [/tex] dv= [tex] x\sqrt{x^2-1} [/tex]
du= [tex] \fracc{1/x}[/tex] v= [tex]\fracc{1/2} ln{x^2-1} [/tex]

And arrived at:
[tex] \int {x\ln{x}\sqrt{x^2-1} = \fracc{1/2} \ln{x^2-1} - \fracc{1/2}\int \ln{x^2-1}/x [/tex]
and that is where I got stuck.

So I chose to take another path and started over by letting:
x= [tex] \sec\Theta [/tex] dx= [tex] \sec\Theta\tan\Theta [/tex] dΘ

I substituted those values in the original integral and after simplifying I came up with:

[tex] \int {\sec^2\Theta} \ln\sec\Theta dΘ [/tex] .

And From there I tried to make a substitution for secΘ, but I was still not able to solve it. (having problems with the natural log expression).

Any help that would guide me to right the path to help me solve this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanx!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For a start, you don't have the right expression for v in your integration by parts.

[tex]\int \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2 - 1}} dx = \sqrt{x^2 - 1}[/tex]

You made an error in your integration by parts. [tex] \int \frac{x ln(x)}{\sqrt{x^2-1}} dx[/tex]

u = ln(x) du = 1/x dx

dv = x/sqrt(x^2-1) dx v = below

[tex] \int \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2-1}} dx [/tex]

u = x^2 -1, du = 2x dx

[tex] \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{2x}{\sqrt{x^2-1}} dx =\frac{1}{2} \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{u}} du = \sqrt{u} = \sqrt{x^2-1} [/tex]

So [itex] v = \sqrt{x^2-1} [/tex]

Note the u substitution in the second half is independent of the integration by parts. Try again form here.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I was finally able to work it out with your help =)

The final answer I got was:
[tex] \ln{x}\sqrt{x^2-1} - \sqrt{x^2-1} + 2\arctan{\sqrt{x^2+1}} [/tex]

FAQ: Solving Integration Problem: xln{x}/\sqrt{x^2-1}

1. What is integration in mathematics?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve or the accumulation of a function. It is the opposite of differentiation and is used to solve problems involving rates of change, such as velocity and acceleration.

2. How do you solve an integration problem?

To solve an integration problem, you need to follow a set of rules and techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. It also involves using fundamental theorems of calculus and properties of integrals. It is essential to have a good understanding of algebra and basic calculus concepts to solve integration problems effectively.

3. What is the specific problem of xln{x}/\sqrt{x^2-1}?

The specific problem of xln{x}/\sqrt{x^2-1} is an integration problem involving a logarithmic function and a radical function. It requires the use of integration by parts and substitution to solve.

4. How do you use substitution to solve this integration problem?

To use substitution, first identify the inner function and its derivative. Then, substitute the inner function with a new variable and rewrite the integral in terms of the new variable. This will simplify the integration and make it easier to solve.

5. What is the final solution to the integration problem xln{x}/\sqrt{x^2-1}?

The final solution to this integration problem is -\sqrt{x^2-1}ln|x|+C, where C is the constant of integration. This can be obtained by using the substitution method and applying the integration by parts rule.

Back