Integration to volume and Demoivre's Theorem

Therefore, the solution for cos5θ in terms of cos only is cos5θ = cos5θ. In summary, the volume of the shape is given by V=π∫10-h2dh and the solution for cos5θ in terms of cos only is cos5θ = cos5θ.
jackscholar

Homework Statement

1)I need to find the volume of the shape attached.
2) Solve cos5θ in terms of cos only.

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I believe the shape is a cylinder that has a radius which decreases with height. Does this mean i integrate the volume of a cylinder in the equation:
V=∏∫y^2 dh where y represents the first circles radius of 10cm, and the limits of integration are 5 and 0 for the upper and lower bounds respectively?
2) My teacher has told me to use demoivre's theorem such that, cos5θ=(cosθ+isinθ)^5, and this is expanded using binomial distribution. From here any terms that contain an imaginary number are eliminated from the equation? I'm not sure if they are right and I'm even more confused as to where to go from there.

Any help is highly appreciated!

Attachments

• Integration, slightly better.png
    Integration, slightly better.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1) Yes, you are correct. The volume of the shape is given by V=π∫y2dh, where y is the radius of the cylinder which decreases with height, and the limits of integration are 5 and 0 for the upper and lower bounds respectively. So, the volume of the shape is given by V=π∫10-h2dh, where h is the height of the cylinder. 2) Yes, you are correct. Using De Moivre's theorem, cos5θ=(cosθ+isinθ)^5, and this is expanded using binomial distribution. Then eliminate any terms that contain an imaginary number. This leaves us with the equation cos5θ = cos5θ + 5cos4θsinθ - 10cos3θsin2θ + 10cos2θsin3θ - 5cosθsin4θ + sin5θ Finally, since we want the answer in terms of cos only, we can set sinθ = 0, which gives cos5θ = cos5θ + 5cos4θ(0) - 10cos3θ(0) + 10cos2θ(0) - 5cosθ(0) + (0) Hence, cos5θ = cos5θ.

1. What is integration to volume?

Integration to volume is a mathematical concept that involves finding the volume of a three-dimensional object by using integration techniques. It is often used in calculus and physics to solve problems related to solid objects.

2. How is integration to volume related to Demoivre's Theorem?

Demoivre's Theorem is a mathematical formula used to calculate the powers of complex numbers. It is closely related to integration to volume because it can be used to simplify and solve complicated volume integrals involving complex numbers.

3. Can Demoivre's Theorem be used for any type of integration to volume problem?

No, Demoivre's Theorem is specifically used for finding the volume of objects with rotational symmetry. It is not applicable to all types of integration to volume problems.

4. What are some real-world applications of integration to volume and Demoivre's Theorem?

Integration to volume and Demoivre's Theorem are commonly used in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics to calculate the volumes of complex structures and objects. They can also be used in computer graphics to create 3D models.

5. Are there any alternative methods for solving integration to volume problems besides using Demoivre's Theorem?

Yes, there are other techniques such as the shell method, disk method, and cylindrical shells method that can be used to solve integration to volume problems. These methods are typically more applicable to specific types of objects and may be more efficient in certain cases.