1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration using arcsin

1. May 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Screenshot2012-05-27at101440PM.png

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm having a tough time understanding this step. I understand that

the integral of 1/sqrt(a^2-x^2) = arcsin(u/a) + C

But sqrt(4-x^2) does not have a 1 in the numerator. It looks like they're using u substitution, if so, then why is it + 4 arcsin rather than times 4arcsin. I also don't understand where the 4 comes from.

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2012 #2
    I'm guessing it's just a typical trig sub. Set ##x = 2 \sin \theta##, use a trigonometric identity, integrate and then solve for ##\theta## in terms of x.

If you haven't seen this technique before, check out this link.

4. May 27, 2012 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What's the derivative of
    [itex]\displaystyle \frac{3}{2}\left(x\sqrt{4-x^2\,} -4\,\sin^{-1}\left(\frac{x}{2} \right) \right)\ ?[/itex]​

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  5. May 27, 2012 #4
    If I knew I wouldn't have posted the thread

6. May 27, 2012 #5
    well, if If the integrand contains x^2 − a^2, let

[tex] x = a \sec \theta\,[/tex]

and use the identity

[tex] \sec^2 \theta-1 = \tan^2 \theta.\,[/tex]

Then why do they use arcsin instead of secant

7. May 27, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How do you expect to be able to integrate, if you don't know basic differentiation ?

According to your OP, the derivative of [itex]\displaystyle \sin^{-1}\left(\frac{x}{2} \right) [/itex] is [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{\sqrt{4-x^2}}\ .[/itex]

The rest is pretty basic.

8. May 27, 2012 #7
    There's a very important difference in whether you have x2 - a2 or a2 - x2 so that you use x = asecθ or x = asinθ, respectively.

9. May 28, 2012 #8
    well, is a^2-x^2 which results in asin. However, that integral only works if there is a one in the numerator and clearly there is not, so I'm still wondering where 4asin came from.

Sammy, the rest is not basic.

10. May 28, 2012 #9

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How is [itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(x\sqrt{4-x^2\,}\right)[/itex] not basic ?

11. May 28, 2012 #10
    It's basic alright, but it doesn't even appear on the left side of the equation. Why is the text using that derivative?

12. May 28, 2012 #11
    ∫√(4 - x2) dx

x = 2sinθ → x2 = 22sin2θ
    dx = 2cosθ dθ

[tex]\int\sqrt{4-4\sin^2\theta}\text{ }2\cos\theta\text{ }d\theta = \int\sqrt{4(1-sin^2\theta)}\text{ }2\cos\theta\text{ }d\theta = \int\sqrt{4\cos^2\theta}\text{ }2\cos\theta\text{ }d\theta[/tex][tex]= \int 2\cos\theta\text{ }2\cos\theta\text{ }d\theta = 4\int \cos^2\theta\text{ }d\theta = 4\int\frac{1}{2}(\cos2\theta + 1)\text{ }d\theta[/tex]The cos2θ part will turn into x√(4 - x2) and the 1 part will turn into sin-1(x/2) after substituting back for x and simplifying.

13. May 28, 2012 #12
    robert, the method I outlined in my original response (which I've quoted above) is still correct. You had the right idea, but as Bohrok pointed out, the substitution should be ##x = 2 \sin \theta## (as I said originally). You can then use the identity ##1 - \sin^2 \theta = \cos^2 \theta##. What does the integral become with this substitution?

Edit: Bohrok seems to have done a lot of the work for you. :grumpy:

Note that he or she did leave out the factor of 3, however.

14. May 28, 2012 #13

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The reason I asked this question is that this derivative should be equal to [itex]\displaystyle 3\sqrt{4-x^2}\ .[/itex]

The steps involved in taking this derivative might help you understand how one finds the anti-derivative.

15. May 28, 2012 #14
    How is this legal?

By what rule? I don't see how you can get cos to turn into x

16. May 28, 2012 #15
    The book says they're equal so I already know that.

That's what I'm trying to figure out.

17. May 28, 2012 #16
    Legal? It's a substitution. If I said "Let ##\theta = \arcsin\left(x/2\right)##," would you still take issue with it? Certainly there is a lot of work you'd have to do to provide a rigorous proof that it works, but I'm guessing you've done substitutions before without taking a real analysis course. Take a look at the link I posted above.

The last step that Bohrok did uses a double-angle formula. See if you can work it out. Once you've integrated (in terms of ##\theta##) substitute back in for x.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  18. May 28, 2012 #17
    We're driven to use x = 2sinθ since the domain of √(4 - x2) is [-2, 2], and the range of 2sinθ is [-2, 2]. Not tired just yet, so I typed up the steps (ignoring +C)

[tex]x = 2\sin\theta \Longrightarrow \frac{x}{2} = \sin\theta \Longrightarrow\sin^{-1}\left(\frac{x}{2}\right) = \theta[/tex][tex]\int\cos2\theta\text{ }d\theta = \frac{1}{2}\sin2\theta = \frac{1}{2}\cdot2\sin\theta\cos\theta = \sin\theta\cos\theta = \frac{x}{2}\cos\left(\sin^{-1}\frac{x}{2}\right) = \frac{x}{2}\sqrt{1 - \left(\frac{x}{2}\right)^2} = \frac{x}{2}\sqrt{1 - \frac{x^2}{4}}[/tex]
    There's a trig identity up there where cos(sin-1x) = √(1 - x2)

19. May 28, 2012 #18
    I see how they get cos^2 = cos 2a + 1

But what I do not understand is how they get

x = 2sin(a)

20. May 28, 2012 #19
    If this substitution is causing much confusion you could try to integrate by parts. It may at least clear up why there are two terms.

21. May 28, 2012 #20
    Bohrok,

Thanks for your detailed help. I have never encountered these substitution techniques? Should I have encountered them by now? I'm up to triple integrals in calc. Is one expected to know these techniques by the time they reach triple integrals?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook