Using Trigonometric Substitution for Integration

• Thread starter robertjford80
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: Proof: \int \sqrt{4 - x^2}\text{ }dx = \int 2\sqrt{1 - \frac{x^2}{4}}\text{ }dx = \int 2\sqrt{\frac{4 - x^2}{4}}\text{ }dx = \int 2\sqrt{\frac{(2)^2 - x^2}{(2)^2}}\text{ }dx = 2\int \sec^2\theta\text{ }d\theta, where 2sinθ = x.\int \sec^2\theta\text{ }d\theta = \int \frac{1}{cos^2\theta}\text{
robertjford80

Homework Statement

Screenshot2012-05-27at101440PM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a tough time understanding this step. I understand that

the integral of 1/sqrt(a^2-x^2) = arcsin(u/a) + C

But sqrt(4-x^2) does not have a 1 in the numerator. It looks like they're using u substitution, if so, then why is it + 4 arcsin rather than times 4arcsin. I also don't understand where the 4 comes from.

Physics news on Phys.org
robertjford80 said:

Homework Statement

But sqrt(4-x^2) does not have a 1 in the numerator. It looks like they're using u substitution, if so, then why is it + 4 arcsin rather than times 4arcsin. I also don't understand where the 4 comes from.

I'm guessing it's just a typical trig sub. Set ##x = 2 \sin \theta##, use a trigonometric identity, integrate and then solve for ##\theta## in terms of x.

If you haven't seen this technique before, check out this link.

What's the derivative of
[itex]\displaystyle \frac{3}{2}\left(x\sqrt{4-x^2\,} -4\,\sin^{-1}\left(\frac{x}{2} \right) \right)\ ?[/itex]​

Last edited:
SammyS said:
What's the derivative of
[itex]\displaystyle \frac{3}{2}\left(x\sqrt{4-x^2\,} =4\,\sin^{-1}\left(\frac{x}{2} \right) \right)\ ?[/itex]​

If I knew I wouldn't have posted the thread

spamiam said:
I'm guessing it's just a typical trig sub. Set ##x = 2 \sin \theta##, use a trigonometric identity, integrate and then solve for ##\theta## in terms of x.

well, if If the integrand contains x^2 − a^2, let

[tex] x = a \sec \theta\,[/tex]

and use the identity

[tex] \sec^2 \theta-1 = \tan^2 \theta.\,[/tex]

Then why do they use arcsin instead of secant

robertjford80 said:
If I knew I wouldn't have posted the thread
How do you expect to be able to integrate, if you don't know basic differentiation ?

According to your OP, the derivative of [itex]\displaystyle \sin^{-1}\left(\frac{x}{2} \right) [/itex] is [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{\sqrt{4-x^2}}\ .[/itex]

The rest is pretty basic.

robertjford80 said:

and use the identity

There's a very important difference in whether you have x2 - a2 or a2 - x2 so that you use x = asecθ or x = asinθ, respectively.

Bohrok said:
There's a very important difference in whether you have x2 - a2 or a2 - x2 so that you use x = asecθ or x = asinθ, respectively.

well, is a^2-x^2 which results in asin. However, that integral only works if there is a one in the numerator and clearly there is not, so I'm still wondering where 4asin came from.

Sammy, the rest is not basic.

robertjford80 said:

Sammy, the rest is not basic.
How is [itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(x\sqrt{4-x^2\,}\right)[/itex] not basic ?

It's basic alright, but it doesn't even appear on the left side of the equation. Why is the text using that derivative?

∫√(4 - x2) dx

x = 2sinθ → x2 = 22sin2θ
dx = 2cosθ dθ

[tex]\int\sqrt{4-4\sin^2\theta}\text{ }2\cos\theta\text{ }d\theta = \int\sqrt{4(1-sin^2\theta)}\text{ }2\cos\theta\text{ }d\theta = \int\sqrt{4\cos^2\theta}\text{ }2\cos\theta\text{ }d\theta[/tex][tex]= \int 2\cos\theta\text{ }2\cos\theta\text{ }d\theta = 4\int \cos^2\theta\text{ }d\theta = 4\int\frac{1}{2}(\cos2\theta + 1)\text{ }d\theta[/tex]The cos2θ part will turn into x√(4 - x2) and the 1 part will turn into sin-1(x/2) after substituting back for x and simplifying.

spamiam said:

robertjford80 said:

and use the identity

robert, the method I outlined in my original response (which I've quoted above) is still correct. You had the right idea, but as Bohrok pointed out, the substitution should be ##x = 2 \sin \theta## (as I said originally). You can then use the identity ##1 - \sin^2 \theta = \cos^2 \theta##. What does the integral become with this substitution?

Edit: Bohrok seems to have done a lot of the work for you. :grumpy:

Note that he or she did leave out the factor of 3, however.

SammyS said:
What's the derivative of
[itex]\displaystyle \frac{3}{2}\left(x\sqrt{4-x^2\,} -4\,\sin^{-1}\left(\frac{x}{2} \right) \right)\ ?[/itex]​

The reason I asked this question is that this derivative should be equal to [itex]\displaystyle 3\sqrt{4-x^2}\ .[/itex]

The steps involved in taking this derivative might help you understand how one finds the anti-derivative.

Bohrok said:
x = 2sinθ
How is this legal?

The cos2θ part will turn into x√(4 - x2)
By what rule? I don't see how you can get cos to turn into x

SammyS said:
The reason I asked this question is that this derivative should be equal to [itex]\displaystyle 3\sqrt{4-x^2}\ .[/itex]

The book says they're equal so I already know that.

The steps involved
That's what I'm trying to figure out.

robertjford80 said:
How is this legal? By what rule? I don't see how you can get cos to turn into x

Legal? It's a substitution. If I said "Let ##\theta = \arcsin\left(x/2\right)##," would you still take issue with it? Certainly there is a lot of work you'd have to do to provide a rigorous proof that it works, but I'm guessing you've done substitutions before without taking a real analysis course. Take a look at the link I posted above.

The last step that Bohrok did uses a double-angle formula. See if you can work it out. Once you've integrated (in terms of ##\theta##) substitute back in for x.

Last edited:
robertjford80 said:
How is this legal?

We're driven to use x = 2sinθ since the domain of √(4 - x2) is [-2, 2], and the range of 2sinθ is [-2, 2]. Not tired just yet, so I typed up the steps (ignoring +C)

[tex]x = 2\sin\theta \Longrightarrow \frac{x}{2} = \sin\theta \Longrightarrow\sin^{-1}\left(\frac{x}{2}\right) = \theta[/tex][tex]\int\cos2\theta\text{ }d\theta = \frac{1}{2}\sin2\theta = \frac{1}{2}\cdot2\sin\theta\cos\theta = \sin\theta\cos\theta = \frac{x}{2}\cos\left(\sin^{-1}\frac{x}{2}\right) = \frac{x}{2}\sqrt{1 - \left(\frac{x}{2}\right)^2} = \frac{x}{2}\sqrt{1 - \frac{x^2}{4}}[/tex]
There's a trig identity up there where cos(sin-1x) = √(1 - x2)

I see how they get cos^2 = cos 2a + 1

But what I do not understand is how they get

x = 2sin(a)

If this substitution is causing much confusion you could try to integrate by parts. It may at least clear up why there are two terms.

Bohrok,

Thanks for your detailed help. I have never encountered these substitution techniques? Should I have encountered them by now? I'm up to triple integrals in calc. Is one expected to know these techniques by the time they reach triple integrals?

You should see this type of substitution in calc II, definitely before multiple integrals.

Trig substitutions are really a special u-substitution. This problem √(4 - x2), and other similar ones involving square roots and x2, could be done with the "u-substitution" u = sin-1(x/2). Approaching it that way, however, requires that you know how to differentiate inverse trig function, and it may not as clear as thinking of using a slightly different substitution x = 2sin u (or θ as we usually use with trig substitutions) and using trig identities to make the new integrand more manageable.

robertjford80 said:

Homework Statement

This may seem like beating a dead horse ...

Since you were "having a tough time understanding this step", it seems to me that there's no problem with taking the book's answer & working backwards.

So I took the derivative of [itex]\displaystyle \frac{3}{2}\left(x\sqrt{4-x^2\,} -4\,\sin^{-1}\left(\frac{x}{2} \right) \right)\ .[/itex]

Here is what it led me to:
Rewrite your integrand, [itex]\displaystyle \sqrt{4-x^2\ }\,,[/itex] as [itex]\displaystyle \frac{4-x^2}{\sqrt{4-x^2\ }}\ .[/itex]

Now split that up into [itex]\displaystyle \frac{4}{\sqrt{4-x^2\ }}-\frac{x^2}{\sqrt{4-x^2\ }}\ .[/itex]

The integral of the first term is [itex]\displaystyle 4\,\sin^{-1}\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)\ .[/itex]

Use integration by parts on the second term, with [itex]u=x[/itex] and [itex]\displaystyle dv=-\frac{x}{\sqrt{4-x^2\ }}dx\,.[/itex]​

After this there is one little trick left to finish the problem.

Well, the horse appears to have a small amount of life left in it ...

If [itex]\displaystyle dv=-\frac{x}{\sqrt{4-x^2\ }}dx\,,[/itex] then [itex]\displaystyle v=\sqrt{4-x^2\ }\,.[/itex]

So integration by parts gives: [itex]\displaystyle \int{-\frac{x^2}{\sqrt{4-x^2\ }} }dx=x\sqrt{4-x^2\ }-\int{\sqrt{4-x^2\ }}dx\ .[/itex]

Putting this all together gives:
[itex]\displaystyle \int{ \sqrt{4-x^2\ }}\,dx=\int{\frac{4}{\sqrt{4-x^2\ }}}\,dx+\int{-\frac{x^2}{\sqrt{4-x^2\ }} }dx[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle =4\,\sin^{-1}\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)+x\sqrt{4-x^2\ }-\int{\sqrt{4-x^2\ }}dx\ .[/itex]​

Now for that "trick".

Add [itex]\displaystyle \int{\sqrt{4-x^2\ }}dx\,,[/itex] to both sides, divide by 2 ... then multiply by 3 .

robertjford80 said:

Homework Statement

Let ## x=2sin\theta ##. Then just use the trig identity ##\cos^2\theta=\frac{1+\cos 2\theta}{2}##. Then replace all the thetas with arcsin(x/2) and you are done with the indefinite integral. Then just plug in the limits of the integral and you are done.

1. What is "Integration using arcsin"?

"Integration using arcsin" is a method of solving integrals that involve the inverse trigonometric function arcsin, also known as inverse sine. It is a useful technique for evaluating integrals that cannot be solved using basic integration rules.

2. How does "Integration using arcsin" work?

The method involves using the identities of the inverse sine function to rewrite the integral in a form that can be easily evaluated. This usually involves substituting the variable of integration with the inverse sine function and applying trigonometric identities to simplify the integral.

3. When is "Integration using arcsin" useful?

"Integration using arcsin" is useful when solving integrals that involve expressions of the form √(a²-x²) or 1/√(a²-x²), where a is a constant. These types of integrals commonly arise when dealing with inverse trigonometric functions or when solving problems involving circles or triangles.

4. Are there any limitations or restrictions when using "Integration using arcsin"?

Yes, there are certain restrictions when using this method. The integral must involve the inverse sine function arcsin and the limits of integration must correspond to values within the domain of arcsin. Additionally, the integral must be in a form that can be simplified using trigonometric identities.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in "Integration using arcsin"?

The best way to improve your skills in this method is to practice solving a variety of integrals that involve inverse sine. You can also refer to textbooks or online resources for more examples and explanations. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of basic integration rules and trigonometric identities.