Intense Logarithmic Diferentiation Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a calculus problem involving finding the angle of projection for maximum range of a projectile. The individual attempts to use log differentiation but is advised to use the chain rule instead. After some further discussion, it is determined that the correct angle of projection for maximum range is not 30 degrees.
vexon

Homework Statement

Hey guys, this is my first post and of course first question to ask of calculus

Alright well I had this test and we had this very difficult question that I could not solve, it was in the hardest section.

The question is as follows:

A projectile thrown over level ground, at an angle x to the ground, has a range R given by R = (v^2 / g)(sin2x), where v is the initial speed, in meters per second, and g = 9.8m/s^2. Determine the angle of proection x for which the range is maximum.

Homework Equations

So I began to isolate for v^2 and then use log differentiation.

R(g) = v^2(sin2x)

v^2 = Rg / sin2x

The Attempt at a Solution

R = (v^2 / g)(sin2x)

R = ((v^2)(sin2x) / g)

ln R = ln v^2 + ln Sin2x - ln g

dR / dx = [(1 / v^2) + (1 / sin2x) - (1 / g)] (v^2(sinx) / g)

So I am pretty sure that derrivative is right but as of this i am clueless on what to do. Any help is really appreciated, even a guideline so I could figure out the rest myself. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums, vexon. You are making this problem much harder than it is. You don't need to take a log. And your differentiation is not correct. You have to use the chain rule. You just want to find dR/dx and set it equal to 0. What is the derivative of sin(2x)?

the derivative of sin2x is cos2x(2) = 2cos2x
but we were informed that log differentiation ln was to be used ?
But I'm still stuck. Could you help me further

oh i think i see it,
so since v and g are constants you don't differentiate them
therefore,

dR/dx = (v^2/g)(2cos2x)
and then
0 = v^2/g(2cos2x)
so in order to make the equation equal 0 the angle has to be 30 degrees is that correct ?
would this be the right answer?

Last edited:
The only thing that could be zero is cos(2x). And I don't think that happens at 30 degrees.

Related to Intense Logarithmic Diferentiation Question

1. What is Intense Logarithmic Differentiation?

Intense Logarithmic Differentiation is a mathematical technique used to calculate the derivative of a logarithmic function. It is a more advanced version of regular logarithmic differentiation and involves taking the derivative of a logarithmic function multiple times to solve for the derivative of the original function.

2. When is Intense Logarithmic Differentiation used?

Intense Logarithmic Differentiation is typically used when the regular logarithmic differentiation method is not sufficient to solve for the derivative of a function. It is also used when a more precise calculation is needed or when the function is particularly complex.

3. How is Intense Logarithmic Differentiation performed?

To perform Intense Logarithmic Differentiation, we first rewrite the given function as a logarithm. Then, we take the derivative of the logarithmic function using the power rule. We repeat this process multiple times, taking the derivative of the previous derivative until we reach the desired level of intensity.

4. What are the benefits of using Intense Logarithmic Differentiation?

Intense Logarithmic Differentiation allows for a more precise calculation of the derivative compared to regular logarithmic differentiation. It is also useful for solving complex functions that cannot be solved using other methods. Additionally, it can be used to find higher-order derivatives.

5. Are there any limitations to using Intense Logarithmic Differentiation?

Yes, there are limitations to using Intense Logarithmic Differentiation. It is a time-consuming process and may not be practical for every function. It also requires a strong understanding of logarithmic functions and their derivatives. In some cases, it may be more efficient to use other methods to find the derivative of a function.