1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intense Logarithmic Diferentiation Question

1. Apr 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey guys, this is my first post and of course first question to ask of calculus

Alright well I had this test and we had this very difficult question that I could not solve, it was in the hardest section.

The question is as follows:

A projectile thrown over level ground, at an angle x to the ground, has a range R given by R = (v^2 / g)(sin2x), where v is the initial speed, in meters per second, and g = 9.8m/s^2. Determine the angle of proection x for which the range is maximum.

2. Relevant equations

So I began to isolate for v^2 and then use log differentiation.

R(g) = v^2(sin2x)

v^2 = Rg / sin2x

3. The attempt at a solution

R = (v^2 / g)(sin2x)

R = ((v^2)(sin2x) / g)

ln R = ln v^2 + ln Sin2x - ln g

dR / dx = [(1 / v^2) + (1 / sin2x) - (1 / g)] (v^2(sinx) / g)

So im pretty sure that derrivative is right but as of this i am clueless on what to do. Any help is really appreciated, even a guideline so I could figure out the rest myself. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to the forums, vexon. You are making this problem much harder than it is. You don't need to take a log. And your differentiation is not correct. You have to use the chain rule. You just want to find dR/dx and set it equal to 0. What is the derivative of sin(2x)?

4. Apr 5, 2009 #3
    the derivative of sin2x is cos2x(2) = 2cos2x
    but we were informed that log differentiation ln was to be used ?
    But i'm still stuck. Could you help me further

5. Apr 5, 2009 #4
    oh i think i see it,
    so since v and g are constants you dont differentiate them
    therefore,

dR/dx = (v^2/g)(2cos2x)
    and then
    0 = v^2/g(2cos2x)
    so in order to make the equation equal 0 the angle has to be 30 degrees is that correct ?
    would this be the right answer?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  6. Apr 5, 2009 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The only thing that could be zero is cos(2x). And I don't think that happens at 30 degrees.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook