Calculating Distance Between Two Speakers Producing 180Hz Sound in Phase

In summary: I don't remember how to find the intensity.In summary, the two speakers produce a 180Hz sound in phase. If an intensity is located 2.10m from the nearer speaker, find the distance to the further speaker if the speed of sound in the air is 345m/s.
lilkrazyrae
Two speakers produce a 180Hz sound in phase. If an intensity is located 2.10m from the nearer spearker, find the distance to the further speaker if the speed of sound in the air is 345m/s.

I don't understand exactly what this problem is asking for, and I can't find an equation relating these things. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the question is asking you to take into account the interference between the two waves in order to determine the intensity of the combined waves at a given point. You know the speed of sound, the frequency and direction of travel for each of the waves along with the relative phase of the sources. You should be able to work out the relative phase at the observation point. :)

I don't understand our book doesn't say anything about the relative phase; therefore, I don't fully understand what you mean I gathered that the interference between the two waves was the point of the problem but I still don't quite understand it.

Actually, looking at your original statement again, there appears to be a word missing where you say "... an intensity is located ..." I think you mean to say there is an intensity node or maximum or something of that sort.

You are dealing with two waves presumably of equal source amplitude propagating in opposite directions. Before we proceed, have you seen anything like [itex]A \cos (kx - \omega t)[/itex] to describe wave propagation?

I did miss a word and it is intensity minimum and I found an equation similar to that one except it was Asin(kx+wt).

Okay. We have one thing left to decide. The A in [itex]A \sin (kx - \omega t)[/itex] represents the amplitude of the wave. I am going to assume (though it's not exactly correct) that the amplitude is a constant for your problem.

Notice that [itex]A \sin (kx - \omega t)[/itex] represents a wave traveling toward the right (toward increasing x) while [itex]A \sin (kx + \omega t)[/itex] travels to the left. Suppose the wave from the nearer speaker is located at x = 0 and is given by [itex]A \sin (kx - \omega t)[/itex]. We have to make a slight adjustment to describe the wave from the far speaker (besides just traveling in the opposite direction). Your problem stated that the speakers are in phase so if the second speaker is at x = L then its wave looks like [itex]A \sin (k(x-L) + \omega t)[/itex].

Therefore, the combined wave at any point is

[tex]A \left( \sin(kx -\omega t) + \sin(k(x-L) + \omega t)\right)[/tex]

Note that [itex]k = \frac {2\pi}{\lambda}[/itex] where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is the wavelength and [itex]\omega = 2 \pi f[/itex] where f is the frequency of the wave. You should also know that [itex]f \lambda = c_s[/itex] the speed of sound.

Can you write the intensity of the wave?

The only way I see to write the intensity uses mass, and I don't know the mass.

Ok so do you just solve for x and that is your other distance

No, you don't need a mass. Does your textbook tell you how to find the intensity of a wave or the intensity of combined waves?

Well I have an intensity related to power equation, and I=I(1)+I(2)

Related to Calculating Distance Between Two Speakers Producing 180Hz Sound in Phase

1. What is intensity in physics?

Intensity in physics refers to the amount of energy transferred per unit area in a given direction. It is a measure of the strength or magnitude of a physical phenomenon such as light, sound, or electromagnetic waves.

2. How is intensity calculated?

The intensity of a physical phenomenon is calculated by dividing the energy transferred by the area over which it is transferred and by the time during which the energy is transferred. The unit of intensity is watts per square meter (W/m²).

3. What factors affect intensity?

The intensity of a physical phenomenon can be affected by various factors such as distance, surface area, and amplitude. For example, the intensity of light decreases as the distance from the source increases, and the intensity of sound increases as the amplitude of the sound waves increases.

4. How is intensity related to other concepts in physics?

Intensity is closely related to other concepts in physics such as power, energy, and amplitude. Intensity is a measure of the power (energy per unit time) transferred over a given area, and it is proportional to the square of the amplitude of the waves.

5. What are some real-life applications of intensity in physics?

Intensity has many real-life applications in physics, such as in medical imaging, where it is used to measure the intensity of X-rays or ultrasound waves. It is also used in engineering to measure the strength of materials, and in astronomy to measure the intensity of light from distant stars and galaxies.