Intensity v.s. sound intensity

In summary, the question presents Larry's average sound intensity during a workday and asks for the total energy entering his ear. While some may think to use the sound intensity = 10log(Icurrent/Ithreshold) equation to find the intensity, this is not necessary as the sound intensity is already given. Instead, one can use the formula P=IA to find the power and then multiply by the time to get the total energy.
joshuajava
Here's a question I got on an exam:

During a typical workday (eight hours), the average sound intensity arriving at Larry's ear is 1.8 x 10-5 W/m2. If the area of Larry's ear through which the sound passes is 2.1 10-3 m2, what is the total energy entering each of Larry's ears during the workday?

People in my course were discussing the method to answering this and they were saying you have to use the intensity = power/area equation, but I thought the question was asking for sound intensity. The answer they got was Energy = 0.0011 J. The answer I got was 6.05 * 10^-11 J.
Can you tell me which one is right, because I'm confused now? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
joshuajava said:

During a typical workday (eight hours), the average sound intensity arriving at Larry's ear is 1.8 x 10-5 W/m2. If the area of Larry's ear through which the sound passes is 2.1 10-3 m2, what is the total energy entering each of Larry's ears during the workday?

People in my course were discussing the method to answering this and they were saying you have to use the intensity = power/area equation, but I thought the question was asking for sound intensity. The answer they got was Energy = 0.0011 J. The answer I got was 6.05 * 10^-11 J.
Call the average sound intensity, or just "intensity," ##I=1.8\cdot 10^{-5} \text{W}\text{m}^{-2}##. The area of Larry's ear is ##A=2.1\cdot 10^{-3} \text{m}^2##. The power, or work over time, is given by ##P=IA##. This is the average power. Thus, multiplying by the amount of time ##t## in his work day (8 hours, or 28800 seconds), we get ##E=IAt\approx 0.00108864##.

joshuajava said:

I have highlighted part of the original question to show a contradiction/error on your interpretation.

Mandelbroth said:
Call the average sound intensity, or just "intensity," ##I=1.8\cdot 10^{-5} \text{W}\text{m}^{-2}##. The area of Larry's ear is ##A=2.1\cdot 10^{-3} \text{m}^2##. The power, or work over time, is given by ##P=IA##. This is the average power. Thus, multiplying by the amount of time ##t## in his work day (8 hours, or 28800 seconds), we get ##E=IAt\approx 0.00108864##.

PeterO said:
I have highlighted part of the original question to show a contradiction/error on your interpretation.

Thanks for the replys. What I meant to say was I thought the question gave you sound intensity and you have to use the sound intensity = 10log(Icurrent/Ithreshold) equation to find the intensity, and then find the power and energy from that. I believe you are right, but could you tell me why you shouldn't use this method?

joshuajava said:
Thanks for the replys. What I meant to say was I thought the question gave you sound intensity and you have to use the sound intensity = 10log(Icurrent/Ithreshold) equation to find the intensity, and then find the power and energy from that. I believe you are right, but could you tell me why you shouldn't use this method?

10log(Icurrent/Ithreshold) gives you the sound level - in decibel - using the Sound Intensity value (Icurrent)

You are sort of one concept off.

Sound will have an intensity.

One comparative measure of that intensity is the sound level (dB) 10log(I/Io)

The Sound intensity shows the rate at which energy is impacting an area (W/m2)

Using the impact area, we can find the power of sound - the rate at which energy is impacting in Watts (J/s).

If we know how many seconds are involved, we can find the total energy delivered.

joshuajava said:

Your sentence says it all.

... I thought the question gave you sound intensity and you have to use the sound intensity = 10log(Icurrent/Ithreshold) equation to find the intensity, ...

To leave out many of the words, that reads:

I thought the question gave you the sound intensity, and you have to use the sound intensity (formula) to find the intensity.

If you are given the sound intensity - you don't have to calculate it.

By using level rather than intensity it can make sense

I thought the question gave you sound level and you have to use the sound level = 10log(Icurrent/Ithreshold) equation to find the intensity.

However, we know you were not given the sound level, or the units would have been dB rather than W/m2

Likes 1 person
PeterO said:
Your sentence says it all.

... I thought the question gave you sound intensity and you have to use the sound intensity = 10log(Icurrent/Ithreshold) equation to find the intensity, ...

To leave out many of the words, that reads:

I thought the question gave you the sound intensity, and you have to use the sound intensity (formula) to find the intensity.

If you are given the sound intensity - you don't have to calculate it.

By using level rather than intensity it can make sense

I thought the question gave you sound level and you have to use the sound level = 10log(Icurrent/Ithreshold) equation to find the intensity.

However, we know you were not given the sound level, or the units would have been dB rather than W/m2

Ah okay, I get it now! Thank you very much, I really appreciate it!

1. What is the difference between intensity and sound intensity?

Intensity refers to the amount of energy per unit area, while sound intensity specifically measures the amount of energy per unit time per unit area. Sound intensity is a measure of the loudness of a sound.

2. How are intensity and sound intensity related?

Intensity and sound intensity are directly proportional. This means that as the intensity of a sound increases, so does the sound intensity.

3. How is sound intensity measured?

Sound intensity is typically measured in units of decibels (dB). A decibel is a logarithmic unit that compares the sound intensity to a standardized reference level.

4. Can sound intensity be harmful?

Yes, sound intensity can be harmful at high levels. Exposure to sound intensity above 85 dB can cause damage to the ears and hearing loss over time. It is important to use protective measures, such as earplugs, in environments with high sound intensity.

5. How does sound intensity affect the quality of sound?

The higher the sound intensity, the louder the sound will be. However, too high of a sound intensity can also distort the quality of the sound, making it harder to understand or enjoy. This is why it is important to find a balance in sound intensity for optimal sound quality.