Interesting rate of change question

In summary, the two sides of the triangle have lengths 5cm and 10cm, and the included angle is \theta = \frac{\pi}{3}. The rate of change for the third side, c, can be found using the equation c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab\cos C and taking partial derivatives with respect to time. Under the given conditions, the rate of change for c is 11.25cm/s.
jamesbob
Two sides of a triangle have lengths a = 5cm and b = 10cm, and the included angle is [tex]\theta = \frac{\pi}{3}.[/tex] If a is increasing at a rate of 2cm/s, b is decreasing at a rate of 1cm/s and [tex]\theta[/tex] remains constant, at what rate os the third side changing? Is it increasing or decreasing?

Just wondering the best way to go about this question. I could calculate values of third side c after one second, then two etc, and figure out the rate of change. But we've been doing partial differentiation and differentials and so on. So do i say [tex] c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab\cos C [/tex] and take partial derivatives getting something like
[tex] (2a + 2b\cos C)da + (2b + 2a\cos C)db + (2ab\sin C)dc [/tex]

Then plug some form of values into that?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Something like that but not that itself!

First remember that you started with an equation so, taking the differential of both sides, you should still have an equation. Also where did that (2ab)dc come from?

Sorry, the sin C hadn't shown up. Is the equation:

[tex] dc^2 = (2a + 2b\cos C)da + (2b + 2a\cos C)db + (2ab\sin C)dC [/tex]

Or is it the same but instead of dc^2, its just dc?

Assuiming this is correct (a shakey assumption no doubt), do i plug in the initial values ie. a = 5, b = 10, C = 60. And would da = 2, db = 1 and dC = 0?

i may be wrong in this aspect but ill give it a shot

shouldntu just tak the derivative with respect to time?? So then ur looking for dc/dt...
differentiate wrt time and see what u get...

also u can find c using the coniditions given to u, that is a,b, and theta

i may be wrong in this aspect but ill give it a shot

shouldntu just tak the derivative with respect to time?? So then ur looking for dc/dt...
differentiate wrt time and see what u get...

also u can find c using the coniditions given to u, that is a,b, and theta

Instead of leaving it in terms of infinitessimals, why don't you differentiate both sides with respect to t? It's the same basic idea, but then the answer becomes clear immediately. Also, you have a sign mistake in your da and db terms.

Ok thanks, but how can i differentiate wrt if there are no t terms in the equation, or do i say da/dc = 2, db/dc = 1, then what does dC/dc equal? 0?

you need to differentiate implicitly

so then for example to differentiate a variable x^2 wrt to t you get
[tex] 2x \frac{dx}{dt} [/tex]
differentiate the function itself then the variable wrt time

Ok, so if i have the equation
[tex] c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab\cos C [/tex]

do i take the square root before i begin differentiating?

Still can;t do this. I can't differentiate with respect to time. For the first two terms i get [tex] 2a\frac{da}{dt} + 2b\frac{db}{dt} \left then \left ? \left is \left it \left 2ab\sin C\frac{dC}{dt}? [/tex]

Use the product rule.

jamesbob said:
Still can;t do this. I can't differentiate with respect to time. For the first two terms i get [tex] 2a\frac{da}{dt} + 2b\frac{db}{dt} \left then \left ? \left is \left it \left 2ab\sin C\frac{dC}{dt}? [/tex]

since ur angle is CONSTANT, the value of C (or theta, whatever) reamins CONSTANT

however you need to apply product rule because its a product of a and b who are both dependant on time

But using the product rule isn't it just:

u = -2ab, du/dt = 0
v = cosC dv/dt = -sinC

giving udv/dt = vdu/dt = -2ab-sinC + cosC.0 = 2absinC?

Using this i have

[tex] \frac{dc^2}{dt} = 2a\frac{da}{dt} + 2b\frac{db}{dt} + 2ab\sin C
= 2 \times 5 \times 2 + 2 \times 10 \times 1 + 2 \times 5 \times 10 \times .866 = 126.6 [/tex]

therefore [tex] \frac{dc2}{dt} = \sqrt{126.6} = 11.25cm/s ?[/tex]

Seems too big and i know its probably wrong.

Last edited:
People have been trying to tell you to use the product rule for the "ab" part. Since C is a constant, you don't have to differentiate with respect to C.

[tex]c^2= a^2+ b^2- 2ab cos (C)[/tex]

Since C is constant, the derivative of just the -2ab cos(C) part is

[tex]-2b cos(C)\frac{da}{dt}- 2a cos(C)\frac{da}{dt}[/tex]

And you don't want [itex]\frac{dc^2}{dt}[/itex], you want [itex]\frac{dc}{dt}[/itex]- but they are closely related.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah sorry, of course! I was tired, wasn't thinking straight. Hand in time has passed now, but i was determined to get to the bottom of this. I can see now how to do it. Thanks very much!

Related to Interesting rate of change question

1. What is an interesting rate of change question?

An interesting rate of change question is a question that involves analyzing the change in a particular variable over time. It could involve looking at a trend in data, predicting future changes, or understanding the impact of certain factors on the rate of change.

2. How do you identify an interesting rate of change question?

An interesting rate of change question typically involves a variable that is measured over time. It could also involve comparing the rate of change between different groups or scenarios. It should also be a question that is relevant and has potential for further exploration or application.

3. Why is understanding rate of change important in science?

Rate of change is a fundamental concept in science that helps us understand how variables are related and how they change over time. It allows us to make predictions, identify patterns, and analyze the impact of different factors on a system.

4. How do you approach solving an interesting rate of change question?

The first step in solving an interesting rate of change question is to clearly define the question and the variables involved. Then, gather data and analyze trends or patterns over time. Finally, use mathematical or statistical tools to make predictions or draw conclusions.

5. Can you provide an example of an interesting rate of change question in science?

One example of an interesting rate of change question in science could be: "How does the rate of photosynthesis change over the course of a day in different types of plants?" This question involves variables that can be measured over time (rate of photosynthesis and time of day), and has potential for further exploration and application in fields such as agriculture or ecology.