Why Do Reaction Forces Differ When Isolating Different Members in Statics?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a question related to the 3 general equilibrium form of equations. The person encountered a problem while trying to solve the question, as the reaction forces were different when isolating different members of the system. They asked for help and suggested showing work or creating a side view of all the forces.
AdamMcParland

Homework Statement

I found this question and thought the situation was quite an interesting one.[/B]
upload_2015-12-25_22-26-9.png

Homework Equations

Seem to only be the 3 general equilibrium form of equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem I encountered with this question was that when I isolated 2 or 3 members out of the system I got an answer for the reaction forces as W/3 but when I isolated only one plank, the equations suggested that the reaction forces were different at each point of contact. Has me mind boggled, all replies would be greatly appreciated, thank you![/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Adam,
1. Show your work. Perhaps someone sees where something goes awry.
2. Make is side view showing all the forces.

Related to Why Do Reaction Forces Differ When Isolating Different Members in Statics?

What is a statics problem?

A statics problem is a type of physics problem that involves the study of objects at rest or in equilibrium. It deals with the forces acting on an object and how they balance out to keep the object in a stationary position.

What makes a statics problem interesting?

A statics problem can be interesting because it requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills to analyze and solve. It also helps us understand the basic principles of how objects behave when they are at rest.

What are some common types of statics problems?

Some common types of statics problems include finding the center of mass of an object, analyzing the forces acting on a structure, and determining the equilibrium conditions of an object or system.

How can I approach solving a statics problem?

To solve a statics problem, you can start by drawing a free body diagram to visualize the forces acting on the object. Then, you can apply the principles of statics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the concept of torque, to solve for unknown values.

Why is it important to study statics?

Studying statics is essential for understanding the behavior of objects and structures in the real world. It is the basis for many engineering and design principles and is crucial for ensuring the safety and stability of structures and systems.