Where does the first minimum appear in a double slit experiment with neutrons?

In summary, the neutron wavelength in a double slit experiment is 6.6x10-7 meters. The first minimum appears at an angle of 1.571°.
erok81

Homework Statement

In a double slit experiment, a beam of neutrons with speed 0.6m/s is diffracted by two apertures which are 0.05μm apart.

a. What is the neutron wavelength?
b. Where does the first minimum appear?

Homework Equations

[tex]\lambda = \frac{h}{p}[/tex]

[tex]dsin\theta =(m+\frac{1}{2})\lambda[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First off for the wavelength.

[tex]\lambda = \frac{h}{p}[/tex]

I had to calculate p first. Which is just mv -> (1.657x10-27)(0.6) = 9.942x-28

Plugging that into the de Broglie wavelength forumla...

[tex]\lambda = \frac{h}{p} = \frac{6.63\times10^{-34}}{1.005\times10^{-27}} = 6.6\times10^{-7} [/tex]

That answers part a.

Now part b I am stuck on. First I don't know how far away the detector is, so I can't really give a definite location. So I was just going to go with the angle.

Using [tex]dsin\theta =(m+\frac{1}{2})\lambda[/tex] with m= 0

I get...

[tex]sin^{-1}\left[\frac{1}{2}\times\frac{6.6\times10^{-7}}{0.05\times10^{-6}}\right] = sin^{-1}(sin{\theta})[/tex]

Before taking the arcsin I have a value of 6.597. Which obvisouly gives me a weird answer for theta. Weird answer being 1.571° and -2.574°.

Any ideas where I am going wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think your wavelength is off by a factor of 1000.

Well, maybe not. Let me recheck my calculations.

I hope it is. That would give me a better answer. I rechecked and I had p wrong in the post, which I've corrected, but in my wavelength calculation I had it right. So lamda is correct...at least for me.

Your answer is correct. My mass was off by a factor of 1000. So the equation is telling you there is no minimum.

I'm wondering, though, if your velocity is correct; 0.6 m/s is pretty slow. Are you sure it's not supposed to be v/c=0.6, where c is the speed of light? Of course, if that's the case, the wavelength comes out incredibly small.

vela said:
Your answer is correct. My mass was off by a factor of 1000. So the equation is telling you there is no minimum.

I'm wondering, though, if your velocity is correct; 0.6 m/s is pretty slow. Are you sure it's not supposed to be v/c=0.6, where c is the speed of light? Of course, if that's the case, the wavelength comes out incredibly small.

That's what I thought as well so I emailed the TA. He said it was right.

But like you said, maybe there is no minimum. Since without knowing the distance to the detector I can't really give an answer, only the angle.

Although...it's a fairly popular method of using neutrons and double slit experiments. At least from google. So if there is no minimum, I wonder what kind of info can be gained from this type of experiment.

Probably not much, other than to place a lower bound on the distance between the scattering centers.

Perfect. Thanks for the help. Good to know I didn't mess it up. :)

Related to Where does the first minimum appear in a double slit experiment with neutrons?

1. What is interference of neutrons?

Interference of neutrons refers to the phenomenon where neutrons, which are particles with no charge, can exhibit wave-like behavior and interfere with each other. This occurs when neutrons pass through a material with regularly spaced atomic planes, causing them to diffract and interfere with each other.

2. How does interference of neutrons occur?

Interference of neutrons occurs when neutrons pass through a material with regularly spaced atomic planes, such as a crystal or a diffraction grating. These atomic planes act as barriers, causing the neutrons to diffract and interfere with each other, resulting in a distinct interference pattern.

3. What is the importance of studying interference of neutrons?

Studying interference of neutrons can provide valuable information about the structure and properties of materials. By analyzing the interference pattern, scientists can determine the spacing between atomic planes and gain insight into the arrangement of atoms within a material. This can be used in various fields such as materials science, chemistry, and biology.

4. Can interference of neutrons be used in practical applications?

Yes, interference of neutrons has many practical applications. For example, it is used in neutron diffraction experiments to study the structure of materials, in neutron interferometry for precise measurements of physical quantities, and in neutron holography for imaging of objects. It also has potential applications in quantum computing.

5. How is interference of neutrons different from interference of light?

Interference of neutrons and light are similar phenomena, but they have some key differences. Neutron interference occurs when neutrons interact with the atomic planes of a material, while light interference occurs when light waves interact with each other. Additionally, neutrons have a much larger wavelength than light, making their interference patterns more spread out and easier to observe.