How do I solve for the integration of x^2 e^(x^3) without a prefix?

• Thread starter rugapark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrating
In summary, the conversation discusses integrating "e" in the context of a specific problem. The individual is stuck on one question and suggests using the rule of adding one to the power and dividing by the new power. However, this rule does not apply to all forms of "e" and the only way to integrate an exponential is through substitution. The conversation concludes with the suggestion of using the substitution u = x^3 to solve the problem.
rugapark
intergrating "e"

I'm doing some intergration q's and I'm stuck on one which involves e

[x^2 e^(x^3) ]dx

I know to integrate you "add one to the power and divide by the new power.. would that make the solution

((x^3)/3) ((e^(x^4))/(x^4)? hope that makes a bit of sense..

Physics news on Phys.org

try u substition

Nope it doesn't really make sense

First,
[tex]\int f(x)g(x)dx\neq \int f(x)dx \int g(x)dx [/tex]
Second,
[tex]\int e^{x^n}dx \neq \frac{e^{x^{n+1}}}{x^{n+1}}[/tex]

That sort of rule only works for the forms x^n and not anything else. The "only" way to integrate an exponential, is to use [tex]\int e^xdx = e^x[/tex]. In this case, you can't do that directly, but a substituion u = x^3 should do the trick.

Last edited:

great - cheers for that i get it now :)

Related to How do I solve for the integration of x^2 e^(x^3) without a prefix?

1. What is the formula for integrating x^2 e^(x^3)?

The formula for integrating x^2 e^(x^3) is ∫ x^2 e^(x^3) dx = (1/3)e^(x^3) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. Can x^2 e^(x^3) be integrated using substitution?

Yes, x^2 e^(x^3) can be integrated using the substitution method. Let u = x^3, then du = 3x^2 dx. Substituting these values into the original integral gives us ∫ x^2 e^(x^3) dx = (1/3)∫ e^u du = (1/3)e^u + C = (1/3)e^(x^3) + C.

3. Is there a specific rule for integrating x^2 e^(x^3)?

Yes, there is a specific rule for integrating x^2 e^(x^3), known as the exponential rule for integration. The rule states that ∫ e^u du = e^u + C, where u is the variable of integration. Applying this rule to x^2 e^(x^3) gives us the final answer of ∫ x^2 e^(x^3) dx = (1/3)e^(x^3) + C.

4. Can the integral of x^2 e^(x^3) be solved using integration by parts?

Yes, the integral of x^2 e^(x^3) can be solved using integration by parts. Let u = x^2, du = 2x dx and dv = e^(x^3) dx, v = (1/3)e^(x^3). Substituting these values into the integration by parts formula, ∫ u dv = uv - ∫ v du, gives us ∫ x^2 e^(x^3) dx = (1/3)x^2e^(x^3) - (2/3)∫ xe^(x^3) dx. This integral can then be solved using substitution or integration by parts again.

5. Is there a special technique for integrating x^2 e^(x^3) when the exponent is a polynomial?

Yes, there is a special technique called the substitution rule for polynomial exponents that can be used to integrate x^2 e^(x^3). This rule states that for any integral of the form ∫ x^m e^(x^n) dx, where n is a positive integer, we can use the substitution u = x^n, du = nx^(n-1) dx to simplify the integral. Applying this rule to x^2 e^(x^3) gives us ∫ x^2 e^(x^3) dx = (1/3)∫ e^u du = (1/3)e^u + C = (1/3)e^(x^3) + C.