Internal combustion engine calculations.

In summary, this software can calculate the outside air pressure, engine simulation conditions, and the results are shown in the bottom of the screen. My work is to get the formulas which are used to get those outputs.
gaber2611
Hello everybody,

I am working on the whole vehicle calculations, engine, brakes, suspension and engine simulation, using that software, take a look:

http://www.speed-wiz.com/calculations/engine-simulation/engine-simulation-conditions.htm

That software, you input the values at the top, and it calculates and outputs the results shown in the bottom of the screen

my work is to get the formulas which are used to get those ouputs, and i am just stuck with the intake air density, of those inputs in the screen i sent.

well, here are the formulas i used for "outside air density" calculations, and it gave me 0.0771 Ibs/cubic.ft, see how i got it, to help you understanding what i am requiring, for the "intake air density".

3- outside air density:
By substituting in the formula: Density = P / (R * T)
Where p: is the outside air pressure (Ibs/inch^2),

R: is the Gas constant = 53.35 (ft-lb)/ (lbm•R), and T: is the outside air temperature in °R,

And to convert P from (Ibs/inch^2) to (Ibs/ ft^2), we divide by (0.083) ^2, so we get:

Air pressure P = 14.68 /.083^2 = 2130.933 (Ibs/ft^2), so we get:

Density = 2130.933/ (53.35*518.67) = 0.077I Ibs/cf.

i am sure we will use same formula, but how can i calculate or get the intake air pressure to substitute in that formula, as the R is known, and T: is the intake air temperature is given as 80 F in the inputs.

hope anyone familiar with internal combustion engines help me with that,
will appreciate your help a lot,
Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Let me save you some time on some of the conversions:

If you want to convert pressure in psi to psf, multiply by 144 ( = 12^2) rather than divide by 0.083^2 (= 1/12^2)
There are 144 in^2 in 1 ft^2.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Air density varies with temperature and altitude. I notice you have specified an altitude of 1000 feet. Are you trying to calculate the air pressure at that altitude?

Thanks steamKing for the reply, and no worries about the conversions, as long it gives same result, or very close to the software results

simply, what i am trying to calculate is the intake air density using that screen inputs which i sent its link, so how would calculate it, and getting same results of that screen, which is 0.002472 slugs/cu.ft, or 0.079452 Ibs/cu.ft, or 0.000040 grams/cc, so any help?

i hope you understand now, and that i could let you understand what i need,
Thanks again

Are you trying to calculate the ambient pressure or the intake manifold pressure which will be significantly less, depending on the intake setup and throttle position?

the intake manifold pressure , what is i am trying to calculate rcgldr, how to calculate using the software inputs?

Do you develop those applications, or are you simply trying to work out what the underlying equations are?

hello kozy, thanks for the reply,

well, simply i am trying to work out the equations used for calculations, to substitute in and get same results as the software outputs,

i gave an example, for the outside air density calculations, i got the formula, substituted in it and got the results of 0.0771 Ibs/cubic feet

what i amstuck with is the inside air density, which formula used, and how to get the output of 0.079452 Ibs/cubic feet, look again at the link i sent, to see that result there, in same line of the "intake air density"

so can you help with how to get that value?, or anyone else here in the forum can help with that?

thanks

What is an internal combustion engine?

An internal combustion engine is a type of engine that produces mechanical power by burning fuel inside a confined space, such as a cylinder. This process of combustion creates a controlled explosion, which in turn moves a piston and produces mechanical energy.

What is the purpose of internal combustion engine calculations?

Internal combustion engine calculations are used to determine various parameters such as power, torque, efficiency, and emissions of an engine. These calculations are essential for designing and optimizing engines for specific applications.

What are the main factors that affect internal combustion engine calculations?

The main factors that affect internal combustion engine calculations include the type of fuel used, engine size and design, operating conditions, and combustion efficiency. Other factors such as fuel injection, ignition timing, and air-fuel ratio also play a significant role.

What are the different types of internal combustion engines?

The two main types of internal combustion engines are spark-ignition engines and compression-ignition engines. Spark-ignition engines, also known as gasoline engines, use a spark plug to ignite the fuel-air mixture, while compression-ignition engines, also known as diesel engines, use heat generated by compressing air to ignite the fuel.

How do internal combustion engine calculations contribute to improving engine performance?

Internal combustion engine calculations help engineers and scientists to understand the performance of an engine and identify areas for improvement. By optimizing parameters such as fuel-air ratio, compression ratio, and ignition timing, engine efficiency, power output, and emissions can be improved.