What Are the Internal and External Forces Acting on a Steel Rod?

In summary, the author has shown that there are forces acting on section BC of a steel rod, and that these forces are 715-325 = 390kN. All other forces acting on the rod (including those to the right of the cut) are ignored.
chetzread

Homework Statement

I couldn't understand why the forces act on section Bc of steel rod is 715-325 = 390kN ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since there's also 215kN to the right in the rod, so forces act on section BC should be 715-325 +215 =605kN ?

Attachments

• 313.jpg
    313.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 375
  • 314.jpg
    314.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 368
Physics news on Phys.org
You only sum the forces acting on the section. These are shown to you completely. Thus, other forces are already taken into account.

Likes chetzread
You could make an imaginary cut through the middle of section BC and create a free-body diagram. You then have 715 kN pulling to the left, and 325 kN pulling to the right. How much internal force does section BC need to supply to keep it in equilibrium?

Likes chetzread
David Lewis said:
You could make an imaginary cut through the middle of section BC and create a free-body diagram. You then have 715 kN pulling to the left, and 325 kN pulling to the right. How much internal force does section BC need to supply to keep it in equilibrium?
There's also 215kN force acting to the right of section BC, right?

Simon Bridge said:
You only sum the forces acting on the section. These are shown to you completely. Thus, other forces are already taken into account.
How about the 215kN force? It's also acting on section BC, right?

Quite so, but remember when you make your imaginary cut, you ignore everything that's going on to the right of the cut.

Likes chetzread
David Lewis said:
Quite so, but remember when you make your imaginary cut, you ignore everything that's going on to the right of the cut.
If ignore the force on the right, we should also ignore the forces on the right?

Yes. You don't pay any attention to it. You can cover the right hand side of the structure with a piece of paper so it doesn't distract you.

Likes chetzread
David Lewis said:
Yes. You don't pay any attention to it. You can cover the right hand side of the structure with a piece of paper so it doesn't distract you.
if i make an imaginary cut, the forces on the left and right of the rod are ignored, then i only have 325kN , how could that be?

All forces to the left of the cut must be included in your diagram and accounted for, and all forces acting on the face of the cut* must be accounted for. Anything other than that you don't worry about.

* The face of the cut that is on the right end of the body.

Last edited:
David Lewis said:
All forces to the left of the cut must be included in your diagram and accounted for, and all forces acting on the face of the cut* must be accounted for. Anything other than that you don't worry about.

* The face of the cut that is on the right end of the member.
do you mean we only need to cut at C?i thought we must cut at B and C to get section BC ?

Actually the cut I hypothesized is approximately halfway between B and C.
You would then have two parts (everything to the left of the cut, and everything to the right of the cut).

Likes chetzread
David Lewis said:
* The face of the cut that is on the right end of the member.
deleted

David Lewis said:
Actually the cut I hypothesized is approximately halfway between B and C.
You would then have two parts (everything to the left of the cut, and everything to the right of the cut).
If so, not all the forces are included for section

BC, then we only have the forces on the left, the forces on the right are ignored?
Why is it so? In the diagram, we could see that the author make imaginary cuts at B and C...not middle of section BC...

You are correct but the author has omitted some steps. You are allowed to make an imaginary cut wherever is convenient for you. In the example I've put forward, you make only one cut. You end up with all of part A, and half of part B. This is the free-body we are analyzing. The other body (half of part B, all of part C, and all forces appertaining thereto) we ignore for the time being.

Likes chetzread
chetzread said:
If so, not all the forces are included for section

BC, then we only have the forces on the left, the forces on the right are ignored?
Why is it so? In the diagram, we could see that the author make imaginary cuts at B and C...not middle of section BC...
What David is explaining is that you must start out by specifying your free body, and then do a force balance on your free body, including only forces acting on the specified free body. In this case, David has specified as the free body the portion of the rod to the left of BC. So you cannot include the forces to the right of BC, since they are not acting on your free body.

Chestermiller said:
What David is explaining is that you must start out by specifying your free body, and then do a force balance on your free body, including only forces acting on the specified free body. In this case, David has specified as the free body the portion of the rod to the left of BC. So you cannot include the forces to the right of BC, since they are not acting on your free body.
ok , if i want to cut off section BC from the others , then the force act on the left end of the rod is 715-325= 390kN to the left ( point away from the rod) ?
For the right section of rod BC , it's 215 + 175 = 390kN to the right ( point away from the rod) ? Am i right

chetzread said:
ok , if i want to cut off section BC from the others , then the force act on the left end of the rod is 715-325= 390kN to the left ( point away from the rod) ?
For the right section of rod BC , it's 215 + 175 = 390kN to the right ( point away from the rod) ? Am i right
The internal force acting on the free body to the left is pointing to the right. The internal force acting on the free body to the right is pointing to the left.

Chestermiller said:
The internal force acting on the free body to the left is pointing to the right. The internal force acting on the free body to the right is pointing to the left.
so , in my working above , it's external force , am i right ?

chetzread said:
so , in my working above , it's external force , am i right ?
Huh?

Chestermiller said:
Huh?
the force act on the left end of the rod is 715-325= 390kN to the left ( point away from the rod) ?
For the right section of rod BC , it's 215 + 175 = 390kN to the right ( point away from the rod) ?
These forces are the external forces ? so , internal forces should be opposite to them ?

chetzread said:
the force act on the left end of the rod is 715-325= 390kN to the left ( point away from the rod) ?
For the right section of rod BC , it's 215 + 175 = 390kN to the right ( point away from the rod) ?
These forces are the external forces ? so , internal forces should be opposite to them ?
Yes.

Likes chetzread

What are internal forces?

Internal forces refer to forces that act within a system or object. These forces do not change the position or motion of the object as a whole, but they do affect the internal structure and movement of the object.

What are external forces?

External forces refer to forces that act on an object or system from outside sources. These forces can change the position or motion of the object as a whole, and can include things like gravity, friction, and applied forces.

How do internal and external forces interact?

Internal and external forces can interact in various ways depending on the object or system. For example, a car's engine (internal force) can propel the car forward, while friction (external force) from the road can slow it down. In some cases, internal and external forces can cancel each other out, resulting in no overall change in the object's motion.

What is the difference between a balanced and unbalanced force?

A balanced force is one in which the total amount of force acting on an object is equal in all directions, resulting in no change in the object's motion. An unbalanced force, on the other hand, is when the forces acting on an object are not equal, resulting in a change in the object's motion.

How do internal and external forces impact the stability of structures?

Internal and external forces play a crucial role in determining the stability of structures. Internal forces, such as tension and compression, help support the structure and prevent it from collapsing. External forces, such as wind or earthquakes, can put stress on the structure and potentially cause it to fail. Engineers must carefully consider both internal and external forces when designing structures for stability.