1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Internal resistance of an ammeter

1. Sep 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Devise a NON DESTRUCTIVE scheme to measure the resistance of the 0-1mA meter that is provided in the lab. You may make use of an external power supply (or battery) and other circuit components such as resistors to make your measurement. Design your measurement scheme so that no more than 1 mA will flow through the meter! You can not use the multimeter as an ohmmeter to make this measurement!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I used a multisim simulation for the circuit. I ended up getting the internal resistance to be 1 micro ohm but I am not sure if that is correct, as i used the values provided by the voltmeter and ammeter in the circuit.

here is our design.

Is this done correctly?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2008 #2
    Sorry, here is the design

Attached Files:

4. Sep 16, 2008 #3
    I cant see your attachment yet (waiting approval). But why can't you just read the voltage off a current shunt and across the current meter itself?
  5. Sep 16, 2008 #4
    I guess the wording of the question is getting pretty jumbled in my head. what would that circuit look like? I'm not exactly sure how to read or set up that up. How would i set up is up so i can read the voltage off a current shunt and across the meter itself? I'm just hella confused here
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?