Internal resistance question

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a question involving the measurement of the EMF of a cell using a potentiometer and a voltmeter. The internal resistance of the cell is calculated using Kirchhoff's rules and the equation V-(R(int)-R(ext))i=0, where V is the ideal voltage and R(int) and R(ext) are the internal and external resistances, respectively. The current flowing through the voltmeter is found to be 8.6*10^-4A. The conversation also mentions using a resistor of resistance 50 Ohms and using two equations to solve for both the internal resistance and current of the cell.
debwaldy

Homework Statement

Hi I've tried to solve this question but I keep getting stuck at a certain point, it probably very simple but any tips would be greatly appreciated

The EMF of a cell is measured using a potentiometer and is found to be 1.51V. When a voltmeter, which has a resistance of 3.5k Ohms is connected across the cell, it reads 1.49V. What is the internal resistance of the cell. What current flows through the voltmeter?
If a resistor of resistance 50 Ohms is connected across the cell, what current flows through it?

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's rules
V=RI

The Attempt at a Solution

I said so far:
(internal resistance)*I = 1.51
1.49= I1*(3.5*10^3) - 1.51
& found I1 current flowing through voltmeter = 8.6*10^-4A but i don't know what to do from here and i think this might be wrong anyway...:frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure its "3.5k" ohms?
Because that would be 3500ohms.

If you use kirchhoff rule and consider the two resistances: where v is the ideal voltage (that is under no load of the emf)

V-(R(int)-R(ext))i=0
and V-R(int)i=0.02 solve for R, is that what you got?

i don't understand,how do you solve that equation when you dontknow what V is, do i take 1.51V as the value for V in that equation?

yes that's the ideal voltage measured under no current. The 1.49 is with the Ir drop due to current across int resistance.

and i just use the current value i have already calculated?
ok i think i follow now,thanks for the help

debwaldy said:
and i just use the current value i have already calculated?
ok i think i follow now,thanks for the help

I'm a little unclear on your first eqn, if those don't work use the two I posted, remember its 2 unknowns and two equations tho the error from using just the 3500 Ohm resistor to compute i will likely be negligible.

1. What is internal resistance?

Internal resistance refers to the inherent opposition to the flow of electric current within a battery or other electrical component. It is caused by the resistance of the materials used in the construction of the component and can affect the overall performance of the device.

2. How is internal resistance measured?

Internal resistance is measured by applying a known voltage to the component and measuring the resulting current flow. This can be done using a multimeter or other specialized equipment. The measured resistance is typically expressed in ohms (Ω).

3. What factors affect internal resistance?

The internal resistance of a component can be affected by several factors, including the type of material used, the size and shape of the component, and the temperature at which it is operating. Additionally, the age and condition of the component can also impact its internal resistance.

4. How does internal resistance affect battery performance?

The internal resistance of a battery can have a significant impact on its overall performance. A higher internal resistance can cause the battery to heat up and discharge more quickly, reducing its overall capacity. It can also affect the voltage output of the battery, leading to a decrease in power and performance.

5. Can internal resistance be reduced?

There are some techniques that can be used to reduce the internal resistance of a component, such as using larger conductors or higher-quality materials. However, internal resistance is an inherent property of the component and cannot be completely eliminated. Proper maintenance and care of the component can help to minimize the effects of internal resistance on its performance.