Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Internal thread tensile strength

1. May 3, 2012 #1
    calculation of internal thread tensile strength

Hi All!
    I've got a coupling device that has two internal threads of different pitch, length, diameter. The smaller thread takes a lifting bolt, the larger attaches to a piece of machinery.
    I've been asked to work out the safe working load (SWL) limit of the coupling. I have the lifting bolt and thankfully it is stamped by the manufacturer and so I've been able to easily calculate it's maximum lifting capacity.
    What I need help with is working out the maximum load that can be applied on the internal threads of the coupling device in pure tension.
    To make it harder I don't yet know the material of the device or the thread and pitch of the largest internal thread, but I'm working on it!
    Can anyone suggest a good method for the calculation? It does not need to account for shear forces, pre-load or torque. The coupling is hand tightened and lifted purely along it's axial line.

Attached Files:

• Jig.jpg
      Jig.jpg
      File size:
      12.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted