1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Internal vector symmetry of Dirac Lagrangian

1. Nov 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the conserved Noether current [itex] j^\mu [/itex] of the Dirac Lagrangian
    [tex] L = \bar{\psi} ( i \partial_\mu \gamma^\mu - m ) \psi [/tex]
    under the transformation:
    [tex] \psi \rightarrow e^{i \alpha} \psi \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, \bar{\psi} \rightarrow e^{-i \alpha} \bar{\psi} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex] j^\mu = \frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \psi)} \Delta \psi + \frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \bar{\psi})} \Delta \bar{\psi} - J^\mu [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Substituting the transformations into the langrangian shows it's invariant, so [itex] J^\mu = 0[/itex].
    For infinitesimal [itex] \alpha [/itex] , [itex] \Delta \psi = i \alpha \psi \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, \Delta \bar{\psi} = -i \alpha \bar{\psi} [/itex] .

The conserved current then becomes:
    [tex] j^\mu = \bar{\psi} i \gamma^\mu . i \alpha \psi = - \alpha \bar{\psi} \gamma^\mu \psi [/tex]

Whenever I have seen this result states however, the [itex] - \alpha [/itex] seems to have been dropped. The derivative of my result will still be zero (so my derived current is conserved as it should be) but I cannot see why the result is usually quoted as
    [tex] j^\mu = \bar{\psi} \gamma^\mu \psi [/tex]

Has this multiplicative constant simply been dropped as it is irrelevant to the conservation, or am I missing something else?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. The normal thing is to define the current as the derivative of your expression with respect to ##\alpha##.

4. Nov 8, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the reply. I'm a little confused though sorry, do you mean [itex] j^\mu [/itex] is usually defined as it's derivative w.r.t the multiplicative constant ( ie, w.r.t [itex] - \alpha [/itex] here ), as the derivative w.r.t. [itex] \alpha [/itex] would make make [itex] j^\mu = - \bar{\psi} \gamma^\mu \psi [/itex] (ie, still out by a negative)

5. Nov 8, 2014 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can always multiply by a constant and still have a conserved current. I could also define a transformation which is using ##e^{2\alpha}##, but of course this does not correspond to any other physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted