Internal vector symmetry of Dirac Lagrangian

In summary: The important thing is that you get the correct value for the conserved charge. This is given by:$$Q = \int d^3x j^0$$The factor of ##-\alpha## will cancel in that integral.
gu1t4r5

Homework Statement

Find the conserved Noether current [itex] j^\mu [/itex] of the Dirac Lagrangian
[tex] L = \bar{\psi} ( i \partial_\mu \gamma^\mu - m ) \psi [/tex]
under the transformation:
[tex] \psi \rightarrow e^{i \alpha} \psi \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, \bar{\psi} \rightarrow e^{-i \alpha} \bar{\psi} [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] j^\mu = \frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \psi)} \Delta \psi + \frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \bar{\psi})} \Delta \bar{\psi} - J^\mu [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Substituting the transformations into the langrangian shows it's invariant, so [itex] J^\mu = 0[/itex].
For infinitesimal [itex] \alpha [/itex] , [itex] \Delta \psi = i \alpha \psi \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, \Delta \bar{\psi} = -i \alpha \bar{\psi} [/itex] .

The conserved current then becomes:
[tex] j^\mu = \bar{\psi} i \gamma^\mu . i \alpha \psi = - \alpha \bar{\psi} \gamma^\mu \psi [/tex]

Whenever I have seen this result states however, the [itex] - \alpha [/itex] seems to have been dropped. The derivative of my result will still be zero (so my derived current is conserved as it should be) but I cannot see why the result is usually quoted as
[tex] j^\mu = \bar{\psi} \gamma^\mu \psi [/tex]

Has this multiplicative constant simply been dropped as it is irrelevant to the conservation, or am I missing something else?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
gu1t4r5 said:
Has this multiplicative constant simply been dropped as it is irrelevant to the conservation?

Yes. The normal thing is to define the current as the derivative of your expression with respect to ##\alpha##.

Thanks for the reply. I'm a little confused though sorry, do you mean [itex] j^\mu [/itex] is usually defined as it's derivative w.r.t the multiplicative constant ( ie, w.r.t [itex] - \alpha [/itex] here ), as the derivative w.r.t. [itex] \alpha [/itex] would make make [itex] j^\mu = - \bar{\psi} \gamma^\mu \psi [/itex] (ie, still out by a negative)

You can always multiply by a constant and still have a conserved current. I could also define a transformation which is using ##e^{2\alpha}##, but of course this does not correspond to any other physics.

The multiplicative constant has been dropped because it is irrelevant to the conservation of the current. The important part is the form of the current, which is given by the product of the fields and the gamma matrices. The constant can be reinserted if needed, but it does not change the fact that the current is conserved.

1. What is the Dirac Lagrangian?

The Dirac Lagrangian is a mathematical expression that describes the dynamics of a quantum field. It is used to model the behavior of fermions, which are particles with half-integer spin, such as electrons and quarks.

2. What is internal vector symmetry?

Internal vector symmetry refers to a type of symmetry in which a quantum field remains unchanged under certain transformations, such as rotations or reflections. In the context of the Dirac Lagrangian, it refers to the conservation of a particle's intrinsic properties, such as charge or spin, during interactions.

3. How does the Dirac Lagrangian incorporate internal vector symmetry?

The Dirac Lagrangian contains terms that represent the interactions between fermions and gauge fields, which are responsible for mediating the fundamental forces of nature. These terms are structured in a way that ensures the conservation of internal vector symmetry.

4. What is the significance of internal vector symmetry in particle physics?

Internal vector symmetry is a fundamental concept in particle physics, as it allows for the description and prediction of particle interactions and the behavior of quantum fields. It also plays a crucial role in the development of the Standard Model, which is the current theory explaining the fundamental particles and their interactions.

5. Are there any experimental evidence for the internal vector symmetry of the Dirac Lagrangian?

Yes, there is extensive experimental evidence for the internal vector symmetry of the Dirac Lagrangian. The predictions of this symmetry have been confirmed by numerous experiments, including high-energy particle collisions and precision measurements of particle properties. This provides strong support for the validity of the theory and its incorporation of internal vector symmetry.