Interpret this probability distribution

In summary, the probability distribution says that there is only one success, which is a geometric distribution.
hoffmann
i took an exam today and was sort of stumped by this question. pls take a look, thx!

how do i interpret this probability distribution:

[tex]\sum_{k=r}^\infty \binom{k}{r}p^k(1-p)^{k-r}[/tex]

where r is the number of successes, p is the probability, k trials.

by looking at it, it seems like it's similar to a negative binomial distribution once you pull out a k/r. if you do some math after pulling out the k/r, it seems like it is the expected value of a geometric distribution. is this distribution saying that a negative binomial divided by the number of successes r means there is only one success, which is geometric?

Physics news on Phys.org
as in, what does this distribution equal?

It's just summing up binomial random variables. We're summing over k - the number of trials. r is fixed so we are summing the probabilities that we have r successes for k = r,..., infinity trials.

Hmm, let's take an analytic stab.

Using the binomial theorem,

[tex](p + (1 - p))^{k} = \sum_{i=0}^k \binom{k}{i}p^{k}(1-p)^{k-i}[/tex]

so

[tex]1 = 1^{\infty} = (p + (1 - p))^{\infty} = \sum_{i=0}^\infty \binom{k}{i}p^{k}(1-p)^{k-i} = \sum_{i=0}^{r-1} \binom{k}{i}p^{k}(1-p)^{k-i} + \sum_{i=r}^\infty \binom{k}{i}p^{k}(1-p)^{k-i}[/tex]

finally we get

[tex]\sum_{i=r}^\infty \binom{k}{i}p^{k}(1-p)^{k-i} = 1 -\sum_{i=0}^{r-1} \binom{k}{i}p^{k}(1-p)^{k-i} = 1 - P({X < r})[/tex]

Where [tex]X[/tex] is a binomial random variable with parameters k, p.

Last edited:
i understand the first part of your explanation. where did the "Hmm" part come from? is this an alternative explanation?

Yeah sorry I was wasn't finished editing it. Its confusing no doubt though :smile:. I guess it's the complement that we will have less than r successes in k trials, but I'm not sure.

hm...i thought your first answer made sense. that this is equal to simply 1.

Yeah i thought that made sense too but "doing the math" gave a different answer.

Think about the same scenario again (a fair coin, look for 8 successes, k trials). Sum up the probabilities that we get 8 successes after k flips from k = 8 to infinity flips. Should this sum be 1? I have no idea so I'll resort to computation:

8 trials:
[tex]\sum_{i = 8}^8 \binom{8}{i}\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^{8} = 0.003906[/tex]

9 trials:
[tex]\sum_{i = 8}^9 \binom{9}{i}\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^{9} = 0.019531[/tex]

20 trials:
[tex]\sum_{i = 8}^{20} \binom{20}{i}\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^{20} = 0.868412[/tex]

50 trials:
Sum is .999999

Turns out it does come out to 1 and I was initially right.

Well my math up there is right too. In the special case where r = k (the number of trials). P(X < r) is P(we have r successes in less than r trials) = 0. So the math gives the same result of 1. Hope that helped!

let me sum it up analytically:

[tex]\sum_{k=r}^\infty \binom{k}{r}p^k(1-p)^{k-r} = (p + (1 - p))^{n} = 1^n = 1 [/tex]

where r = 0,1,2...n

the first step is a direct result of the binomial theorem.

Not exactly. You did not use the binomial theorem correctly. The summation must start at 0. Also n = [tex]\infty[/tex].

Related to Interpret this probability distribution

1. What is a probability distribution?

A probability distribution is a mathematical function that describes the likelihood of different outcomes or events occurring in a certain situation. It shows the range of possible outcomes and the probability of each outcome happening.

2. How do you interpret a probability distribution?

To interpret a probability distribution, you need to look at the shape and spread of the distribution. A symmetric distribution with a bell-shaped curve indicates that the data is normally distributed. A skewed distribution with a longer tail on one side suggests that the data is not normally distributed.

3. What is the difference between discrete and continuous probability distributions?

A discrete probability distribution is used for data that can only take certain values, such as the number of children in a family. A continuous probability distribution is used for data that can take any value within a given range, such as height or weight.

4. How do you calculate probabilities from a probability distribution?

To calculate probabilities from a probability distribution, you need to use the area under the curve. For discrete distributions, you can simply sum the probabilities for the desired range of outcomes. For continuous distributions, you need to use integration to find the area under the curve for the desired range of values.

5. Can a probability distribution be used to make predictions?

Yes, a probability distribution can be used to make predictions about the likelihood of future events occurring. By analyzing past data and using the probability distribution, you can estimate the probability of certain outcomes happening in the future. However, it is important to note that probability distributions cannot predict with certainty, as they are based on probabilities rather than absolutes.